Lawsuit after student solo crash

The "G" for "GAS" in GUMPS checks should include not just "selector on both/fullest tank" but also the mental checkpoint of "is there enough to keep flying, or should I stop for fuel this time"?

91.3(a); the solo student pilot is the PIC, and it's their responsibility to ensure the plane has enough fuel. If the instructor/school doesn't have this in their curriculum, then they have some liability too, in my opinion, but I'd be REALLY surprised to find they don't teach "check the gauges, sump and stick the tanks".

I always emphasized not rushing a preflight and to follow the checklist, as all CFIs do. Specifically emphasized checking fuel (look in the damn tanks), oil, and flight control freedom of movement (move the controls physically on preflight in addition to performing it IAW the checklist.

You read my mind. When driving somewhere in a car I've always said if you have gas, oil, air in the tires, and coolant, you'll likely get where you're going. I go around the airplane in a flow and back it up when finished with the checklist. That being said, I check gas first (with measured dipstick), then oil before I do anything else during the preflight.

I run across students with similar hours who have never fueled a plane and wouldn't know how and yet they've soloed. Sure, they should know to check the fuel and quantity but its not easy to determine the exact quantity when tanks are not topped off. .

I've always been tought to regularly stand on the wing spar and visually check the fuel (in a Skyhawk). However, a lot of FBOs always have the lineman fuel the aircraft for us, so most of us never get to refuel it ourselves. I don't see what would be difficult about it though. You just have to fill up both wings, even in a Skyhawk with one main fuel tank.

I've always been tought to regularly stand on the wing spar and visually check the fuel (in a Skyhawk). However, a lot of FBOs always have the lineman fuel the aircraft for us, so most of us never get to refuel it ourselves. I don't see what would be difficult about it though. You just have to fill up both wings, even in a Skyhawk with one main fuel tank.

You can (should) ask to borrow the ladder. BTW, climbing the wing spar is a great way to throw your back out (ask me how I know...).

I just normally use the strut. I'd be afraid to try to stand on the spar while refueling.

You can (should) ask to borrow the ladder. BTW, climbing the wing spar is a great way to throw your back out (ask me how I know...).

Standing on a wing spar is overkill, and quite difficult on a Cessna.

I think you mean a wing STRUT. Note that not all Cessnas have wing struts.

Skyhawks have two tanks.

Standing on a strut to check fuel isn't a big deal, but it's much too awkward with a fuel hose on your shoulder.

Whatever the lawyers make of this case, you have to be a special kind of stupid to not know that motors need fuel in a world where you rode to the airport in a motor vehicle and have ridden in one since near birth and seen countless fueling operations of one.

Bottom line, the student was the PIC at the time and the only one at the controls. He/she wouldn't have been signed off if they weren't capable. Sucky situation, but the student's fault none the less. If they were having trouble they could have called someone, i.e. their instructor, on CTAF for help.

Back