Late lunch at KBIS tomorrow Apr 7 - anyone in?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Me and @ArnoldPalmer are launching ourselves up in the air for KDIK tomorrow AM. the plan is to take off at 9 AM, swing by KDIK and grab something to eat at KBIS.

all depends on WX of course, but as of now it looks good. if things go as planned, will be landing at KBIS around 1.

whos in?

Am in.

Does that count?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

make sure u take piks...........................get it?

Why KDIK? I am half tempted to jump in the Cub and head down but I might be over gross if I put on enough layers to stay warm in it tomorrow.

what pics do ya want me to take? :p ... be specific
He wants a pik of DIK. I think it isn't for sixpeecee either. Not sure about this fetish at all but to each their own...

Why KDIK? I am half tempted to jump in the Cub and head down but I might be over gross if I put on enough layers to stay warm in it tomorrow.

no apparent reason other than a stamp... and to build some endurance
where are u based?

I’m at S25. We also have a stamp. If you fly over 9G9 Gackle, let me know if the “runways” look like they’re still there. That’s going to be a fun stamp to pick up...

I’m at S25. We also have a stamp. If you fly over 9G9 Gackle, let me know if the “runways” look like they’re still there. That’s going to be a fun stamp to pick up...

Doesn’t look like will be heading that way tomorrow, may be next time when I am on my way to Williston. I would also like to fly around Theodore Roosevelt park and collect stamps, just not tomorrow, gotta be back here early evening. It does look like this time of the year is better to fly around there than middle of July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y'all stamp collectors? Any rare stamps ya have, like that upside down biplane one?

IOW WTF are these stamps y'all speak of?

Aha I see, like Green Stamps back in the day. We don't have anything like that down heah, but sounds like a great way to promote aviation.
yupp MN and SD have similar programs too.

Oops. My stop and go from KDIK.

I have been, for two years now, planning to do all the grass strips in your part of the state on a long 2-day trip in the Cub. Part of my preflight planning was to find every airport on Google Earth and print out the vicinity to help me locate the field when I arrive. There were only two that were nearly impossible to identify from the satellite views: Plaza and Gackle. Gackle’s runways get shorter each year due to encroaching water on all ends of them, too. I’ve heard that a lot of people cheat and drive to that one and a few others, but I’m far too stubborn to do such a thing. :)

I have been, for two years now, planning to do all the grass strips in your part of the state on a long 2-day trip in the Cub. Part of my preflight planning was to find every airport on Google Earth and print out the vicinity to help me locate the field when I arrive. There were only two that were nearly impossible to identify from the satellite views: Plaza and Gackle. Gackle’s runways get shorter each year due to encroaching water on all ends of them, too. I’ve heard that a lot of people cheat and drive to that one and a few others, but I’m far too stubborn to do such a thing. :)
i was secretly hoping that airport (piece of grass) is excluded from the 89 airports .... well, if you are coming this way in summer... be sure to let me know

i was secretly hoping that airport (piece of grass) is excluded from the 89 airports .... well, if you are coming this way in summer... be sure to let me know
I will. One leg is from Arthur to Lidgerwood and it wouldn't be too hard to stop over to West Fargo if I feel like a little civilization or just using the shower they have in their little terminal building there. I don't have a good enough radio to feel comfortable going into the Class D airspace in the Cub.

By the way, paging @KaiGywer for the KBIS lunch tomorrow.

Just happened across this post and see I am tagged...aren't we supposed to get some sort of notification about that?

Me and @ArnoldPalmer are launching ourselves up in the air for KDIK tomorrow AM. the plan is to take off at 9 AM, swing by KDIK and grab something to eat at KBIS.

all depends on WX of course, but as of now it looks good. if things go as planned, will be landing at KBIS around 1.

whos in?

I'll set an alarm and try to drag my night-shift-working-behind out of bed in time. Also, as I mentioned before, whatever you do, do NOT get gas at KBIS. Stop at Y19 and save $1.30 or $1.55 per gallon of 100LL. You need the Y19 stamp anyways :) And Y19 has a courtesy car as well.

Can I come? :)

Can I come? :)
Only if you bring your own plane. The Cub won't have any room once I load up some camping gear and food for the two-day trip. :)

Where is Plaza?

Gackle looks like my kind of place.

Where is Plaza?

Gackle looks like my kind of place.
Plaza Trulson field is Y99. I think it's just an unmaintained section line road with a windsock next to it. I drove there on the way somewhere else a couple years ago to see if it was safe to land, and it looked fine. Just not easy to identify as an airport.

. I’ve heard that a lot of people cheat and drive to that one and a few others, but I’m far too stubborn to do such a thing. :)

Just do a low approach, no one there to give ya a stamp anyway. Or gently touch down (brush the wheels) and go!

The stamps are kept at the airports so you have to physically be there on the ground at some point. I suppose you could do a low pass and touch a wheel and stop by later to get the stamp.

Plaza Trulson field is Y99. I think it's just an unmaintained section line road with a windsock next to it. I drove there on the way somewhere else a couple years ago to see if it was safe to land, and it looked fine. Just not easy to identify as an airport.

Looks like another good one. I need to get back up that way in the Cub and visit some of these.

Thanks for the identifier. I was looking all over for that one.

Looks like another good one. I need to get back up that way in the Cub and visit some of these.

Thanks for the identifier. I was looking all over for that one.
I think it is in the A/FD under PLAZA even though it's not labeled as such on the chart.

There is also an uncharted airport that is not part of the passport program, at Makoti, slightly east of Plaza. Or at least there were planes landing there alongside the grain elevators when I was at the annual threshing bee a couple years ago, and they announced not to park "on the airport."

@WannFly - curious for a trip report! This trip has you going all the way across ND. That should be good prep for KRAP. Did you manage FF and ADSB IN the whole way?

@WannFly - curious for a trip report! This trip has you going all the way across ND. That should be good prep for KRAP. Did you manage FF and ADSB IN the whole way?

Full trip report coming tomorrow. Too drunk to type now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I missed you guys, hope you enjoyed our fine city. Maybe next time you're out this way I'll be awake. Otherwise, I'll be in Fargo at the end of the month for a week.

Sorry I missed you guys, hope you enjoyed our fine city. Maybe next time you're out this way I'll be awake. Otherwise, I'll be in Fargo at the end of the month for a week.

I'll be in Fargo 23rd through the 29th.

I think it is in the A/FD under PLAZA even though it's not labeled as such on the chart.

There is also an uncharted airport that is not part of the passport program, at Makoti, slightly east of Plaza. Or at least there were planes landing there alongside the grain elevators when I was at the annual threshing bee a couple years ago, and they announced not to park "on the airport."

Y99 shouldn't be too hard to find. Between the elevator and the sewage lagoon. Considering that you can see the tractor ruts from space, it doesn't look like Cirrus territory.

Y99.jpg

@KaiGywer @weilke if you guys want to catch up for lunch/dinner/drinks ... lemme know. i will be in Fargo at that time too :p:p

Based on request from @Sinistar here is the trip report.

Short version:

Flight Plan + FF + AOA = We made it back safely.

Long Version:

It turned out to be a beautiful day to fly and calm winds mostly, which is a celebration by itself in ND (and possibly an indication that something is not write)
Before getting into the plane, we decided we will do a full CRM. I would be the PIC and @ArnoldPalmer would do checklist, help with traffic calls and if need be radio. This is farthest i have been on a single flight as PIC. On all legs we had Flight Plan, asked for and got Flight Following.

KFAR - KDIK
Smooth as glass air all the way. ADSB worked as advertised and most of the times we got both TIS-B and ADSB on Garmin Pilot via GDL 50. Approaching KBIS, we decided that we will circle the KBIS airport and take some pictures, asked KBIS approach and they were cool with it. After the photo shoot, we departed towards KDIK (Dickinson, ND). After we got handed over to MSP Center and about 30 miles from KDIK, they lost Radar coverage on us, we were at 6500. we were still receiving ADSB traffic and TIS-B wx, but no TIS-B traffic. at times we also lost ADSB wx. Approach and landing at KDIK was more of a horse back ride than a plane ride. ground temp was about 4C, but still a lot of thermal activity. Throughout the journey we monitored various weather reporting station and noticed a drop in pressure as we were flying west. Close to KDIK they were reporting 30.07 on the altimeter, an hour back it was 30.23. We had thought about going to Beach, ND the last one on ND - MT border, but saw a front sitting out there and with the pressure drop, we decided not to venture that way. the front was over Montana, i am pretty sure it was far far away, but we didn't wanted to push it. whole flight was 2.8 hobbs (2.54 flight time)

This is how the front looked from KDIK looking west:

upload_2018-4-9_19-50-31.png

We spent like 20 mins there, asked the fuel guy to fill up to the tabs, i was standing there to ensure he put in 100LL, to my dismay, he filled up both tanks to the brim. Lesson learnt - don't assume they will do what u asked them to do. it was a non event, but if i had 2 pax and middle of summer, this would have been a problem.

KDIK - KBIS

We took off and called MSP center for flight following, they couldn't pick us up on radar, tried for 30 miles or so and gave up. the whole hour was constant light turbulence with occasional chops (i looked at @ArnoldPalmer and all i got was a shrug and a "meh") - One pilots turbulent ride is another pilots "meh".
We decided not to land in Manden and instead ask for another ASR approach, Approach guys were more than happy to provide it. I have done it before at KBIS, that was only for few mins and then they handed me off to the tower 5 miles out. this time around, they did the full no gyro approach to the runway, didn't even hand me off to the tower (we got a clearance - "tower says you are cleared to land") - it was a great experience again. the only thing i messed up was, i couldn't remember my minimums (approach told me before the ASR, i forgot and didn't have approach plates and it was still more of a horse ride), ended up high over the numbers, slipped and the landing was ... well .. "meh"

we grabbed lunch at Hu Hot Mongolian grill, we over ate and then prayed for a smooth ride.

KBIS - KFAR

Smooth ride all the way, winds were calm at KBIS and 5 kts straight down runway 27, KFAR had to give me rny 36 :)

Overall, awesome trip. 5.5 hrs of hand flying and we kept it within 60 ft of chosen altitude and within few degrees of DTK (apart from 1 time when bouncing around, i was off by more than 12 degrees).

@ArnoldPalmer is an awesome co-pilot and looking forward to more flights together. if weather permits .. may be KSUW (Superior, WI) next weekend.. but wx prediction looks pretty grim

Back