Late Burn-Link Included:)

The part about the much slower burn resulting from aggressive leaning running into the exaust cycle.

This article is over four years old. Hasn't stuff come out since then that shows otherwise? I thought LOP operation was now recommended by at least one engine manufacturer?

pete177 said:
The part about the much slower burn resulting from aggressive leaning running into the exaust cycle.

The problems actually arise when it's still burning with the intake valve open. This can have some really spectacular results in high boost supercharged engines. Several issues have been overcome since this article, though it spoke of valid points at that time in the progression of LOP ops.

The owners manual from my '64 mooney E allows for 25d lop. Lycoming has since recanted. I'm not an engineer but I would think that 25d lop is probably safe below 75% power. I was thinking more about Deakin's suggestion regarding decending from alt without touching the mixture so in effect 25d at 10k becomes very lop at 3k. I dont imagine the manufacturer had that in mind when the engine was designed and since modified and that at least causes me some concern about the casa article having some validity, although, like I said, I have no idea.

pete177 said:
The owners manual from my '64 mooney E allows for 25d lop. Lycoming has since recanted. I'm not an engineer but I would think that 25d lop is probably safe below 75% power. I was thinking more about Deakin's suggestion regarding decending from alt without touching the mixture so in effect 25d at 10k becomes very lop at 3k. I dont imagine the manufacturer had that in mind when the engine was designed and since modified and that at least causes me some concern about the casa article having some validity, although, like I said, I have no idea.

There isn't particularly anything wrong with descending very LOP, the problem doesn't occur until you try to make power again. It just requires the pilot to remember one more thing at the bottom of the descent rather than the top. If you are on a gravity sled ride down, the engines couldn't care less if you went to LCO for the descent itself.

Back