Last minute one-way ticket hacks?

masloki

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Nunya
Any tips for booking a last minute one-way to pickup or drop off a plane and not pay through the nose?

Fearit? Points? Phone-a-friend?

Points probably. Too far to fit any definition of a burger run.

Last edited:
buy the ticket on a credit card then complain about how expensive the ticket was then hope for credit card forgiveness. as solid a plan as any these days.

Back in the good ol’ days, a last minute, one way ticket got the added benefit of additional random luggage screening at the gate.:rolleyes:

Compare the price to a round trip ticket with the return staying over whatever the magic day is. It might be cheaper.

I booked a ticket about 3-4 hours before departure, they were cheap, the plane was empty. Use Google to search or skyscanner.

If you use that skiplagged.com site, beware of flying with their "hidden cities" option. I've never used skiplagged.com, but I've thought about doing the "layover city as destination" and found out that at least some airlines basically prohibit booking a flight and getting off at the layover location. In my personal experience, both Delta and American had small print on their tickets that state that doing so will result in a mark against you for first offense and I think it was something like after three times of doing so, you get permanently banned from flying on their planes.

This time of year, last minute one way trips might be cheaper than you'd think. This month I've been bouncing around the country on vacation with my family. Normally I fly them on standby, but one leg seemed to fill up so I bought a ticket for my wife (daughter is <2yo) on Delta 8 hours prior to departure from NYC to Puerto Rico, and it was 160 bucks. Seemed like a heck of a deal to me.

way back when................there was the hopper-bopper method. You'd purchase two tickets. One to an close destination say, Seattle-Portland on an airplane going on to New York. Then just not get off in PDX and refund your through ticket to NY later.

If you told us your pick up and drop off points, you may find someone here heading there.

If you told us your pick up and drop off points, you may find someone here heading there.
ORD -> MSP, Thu eve or Fri morn. One way airfare seems pretty good this week but I see this route 3x in my future.

Oddly, my wife and our mechanic flew out to Nebraska with last-minute one-way tickets and carry-on luggage filled with portable intercoms, com transceivers, headsets, navigation charts, etc... None of this attracted any attention whatsoever. It only was slightly interesting in that the mechanic had enough orthopedic hardware to trip the metal detector.

Back