Last minute AirVenture accomodations

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I just made my last minute reservation for a room for AirVenture 2007.

Quite an adventure. When you use online sites, you see rooms motels that have rooms. I went through AAA with my tongue wrapped around my cheek for 15 minutes entering data and booking a room, only to have it crash with a SQL error message after hanging for 5 minutes at the final "confirm booking" step and getting a message to call - with no phone number of course.

I called the main AAA number, press 2, press 2, ring, ring disconnect. Try again. I get a the travel agent in my local AAA office who takes my info and calls back 4 hours later at 5:30PM to say the closest room is in Milwaukee. :hairraise:

This is linked from http://www.airventure.org and the Oshkosh chamber of commerce: http://www.oshkoshcvb.org/eaa-hotel.cfm

I called a few motels and found that it also had unreliable data, but in the end I got a room. They didn't have the whole week in the same room, but I'm fairly confident that will work out by the time I get there. I think there are always no-shows.

Last edited:
BTW, my experience in previous years is you can get a room even the week of if you go door to door in Fond du Lac, Ripon, or Appleton.

From my experience of camping there, I recommend the Circle R campground. They have a bus that will take you and pick you up and the campground is MUCH quieter than the ones near the airport. Rates are fair, but if you are planing on using your a/c you need to take a generator, but you will not need it at night.

Camp at OSH. You're right in the middle of the action and there is always plenty of room. Better yet, fly there and camp under the wing.

Right now--not for sure--Tony and I may fly and camp there on the 2nd weekend.

Any last minute accommodation checks that I make will include calling the 1-800 number to see if Homebuilt Camping is full (which is usually isn't). After that it's just a matter of throwing tent, sleeping back, clean pair of 'drawrs, and toothbrush in the plane and away we go! :D

The next key will be trying not to run over Skip while trying to read his cool hat he'll be wearing. ;)

We bagged a house!

If anyone wants a motel room let me know, 'fore I cancel the reservation. It's a nice looking place just north of Appleton.

Back