Last Flight - Question

bluesky74656

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd Kooser
A friend of mine just approached me with a question, and I wanted to get some second opinions. His mom works as a hospice nurse, and apparently one of her patients really wants to go flying. Here are the details:

• The patient is 97 years old, and doctors say she has about two months to live.
  • She isn't on any unusual medications (no IV or such) and has her doctor's permission to take the flight. She has no problems walking or getting around.
  • Her son would come along to make sure she gets around okay and to have someone familiar in the plane.
  • The plan would be to meet her at a local FBO, then take a short (~20 minute) flight near the airport.
I'm pretty well convinced that there's nothing wrong practically that would prohibit the flight. I'm only concerned about the legality of it seeing as I have only a private certificate, no commercial. There woudn't be any money changing hands, I'll pay the full costs of the flight. No one is benefiting financially-- there's no cost to the hospice and I'm just going flying. I *think* I'm alright, but I wanted to check here because I know these things can get muddy real quick. This will also probably get some good press exposure (at least a newspaper is in), so it's probably a good idea to make sure everything's legal.

If it turns to be a bad idea for me to make the flight, I'm pretty sure I could get an instructor from my club to make the flight instead, but I'd really prefer to do it myself if it's at all possible.

Thanks for your help.

Since there is no money changing hands, and nothing else of FAA perceived value, load up and enjoy the flight. Just be sure the passenger will not hinder egress (not a problem with two entry doors) should an off field landing become necessary.

Think of it as an "old eagle" flight. Good on you for bringing enjoyment to this lady.

Last edited:
If you're paying for everything, they're just another passenger...same as if you take your friends or parents up. The only time it gets muddy is when some amount of money or goods are exchanged for the flight. As Kevin said, she won't hinder safety in any way, so just make sure she hasn't been scuba diving and you're fine.

If my memory is correct, Bob Bement did this for an elderly Gent and posted the video on YouTube and here. If you have the chance you should have someone video it and give a copy to the her and the family.

I think this is the right video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0fOqaU96iLI

Last edited:
Thanks for the help... I've scheduled it for Friday, July 11th. I'll write it up here afterwards.

A couple of hints for a happy flight...

Fly on a calm or light wind day. Any questions about turbulence, call it early and reschedule. Explain what you are doing. From the walk around, start up, take off, turns (especially), and landing. I had a 50 year old turn green as I was turning to final. Announce the turns early (TURNING LEFT, TURNING RIGHT) and keep them in the 15 degree range. Be ready to call it done if anyone goes funny colors on you.

Have a great flight. It is always a wonderful trip when you have a newbie or two with you.

I took my mother up when she was 86, and had two broken wrists. [long story, fall at her sisters] We were on our way to see my brother. Helped her on the wing holding her elbows. Put her in the back seat first, I got in, and my wife in the right seat. I did not want her sitting in the door seat with broken wrists if we had an off-airport landing. She loved it. No issues about what was happening at all. Since then her wrists healed fine. She was just visiting for my youngest daughters wedding, she is now 87. No flying this time though.

Find a Cardinal- easiest plane to get an oldster into.

Hubby decided to take his father for a 70th birthday flight around Christmastime out over fields the old geology professor had spent happily digging up old fossils and categorizing rocks. Since his sisters and their children were visiting for the holiday, he decided to take as many as possible along and make a picnic of it. We rented two C-172s so we could pile as many as possible in.

One sister decided to stay home with 94-year-old Great-Grandmother in exchange for a ride around the pattern instead. She got that and a couple of years later, remembering his promise of a longer ride, Hubby flew her from Ohio to California and back. With all hubbub and excitement among the sisters and nieces and parents, his mother pulled Hubby aside and whispered, "Offer a ride to Grandmother. She won't go, but it would be the right thing to do." So he did. And she was ecstatic! Frail Great-Grandmother has a hard time getting into a car. With a step-stool and three people helping, she struggled into the Cessna and had a wonderful time as Hubby slowly made one turn around the pattern. It was much harder to get her out of the plane, simply because she didn't want to leave.

That was the first time Hubby took her flying. Here is his tale of her second flight. http://auntpeggy.home.att.net/CATrek/CATrek11.html The third time, he took her to a fly-in about 50 miles from home. It was to be her last flight.

Have a wonderful time and take lots of photos.

I dub these efforts "Golden Eagle" flights. PIREP after, please!

What a fantastic opportunity you've been given... good luck with the weather and let us know how it went! :)

Irrelevant, since, as noted, no money is changing hands, but if there was, this wouldn't qualify as a "common purpose" the way the FAA defines it.

And good on Todd for doing this.
Well, the Grinch that is the Administrator may decree that the great feeling he'll get is something of value and therefor it's compensation, but I say Phooey on them, and Way To Go Todd! :yes:

Well, the Grinch that is the Administrator may decree that the great feeling he'll get is something of value and therefor it's compensation,
The person who advanced that theory was not the Administrator, nor anyone in FAA Legal, but rather one individual inspector working in the air carrier division -- and whose position was never supported by anyone else in the FAA.

Good on you Todd. This is one of those gifts that gives great happyness not only to the recipiant but also the the one giving it.

Have fun and take pictures. The family will love to have the pictures and one day digging through an old shoe box you will find the picture and remeber the day and the great feelings that went with it. That memory is a gift back for your gift of fullfilling her wish.

I agree that it all looks kosher, FAR-wise, but I am thinking the most important thing you should do is find out where she might want to go or what she might want to look at... does she want to fly the plane, does she want to experience maneuvers, etc... with a little research you could really make a customized experience for her. Seems worth doing, as this is a big deal for her.

Bravo, BTW... although a gesture like this is almost a selfish thing, 'cuz it makes the giver feel so good. :D

The person who advanced that theory was not the Administrator, nor anyone in FAA Legal, but rather one individual inspector working in the air carrier division -- and whose position was never supported by anyone else in the FAA.
You mean someone actually DID advance that theory?:hairraise: I was just posing a hypothetical worst case scenario based on popular perceptions of the FAA Administration!

You mean someone actually DID advance that theory?:hairraise: I was just posing a hypothetical worst case scenario based on popular perceptions of the FAA Administration!
Yes, her name is Alberta Brown, AFS-200, and she was roundly criticized inside the FAA and out for her statements.

Find a Cardinal- easiest plane to get an oldster into.
Nah, back door of a PA-32 is very close to the ground. And the view from there is excellent -- behind the wing if you want to look down and nothing above. Plus the limousine-like legroom!

Back