Last Delta DC 9 Flight

We don't get any of the MD/DC aircraft out here at LAX. Kinda sad to see these go. We're replacing them with the 717's. Probably won't get to work on those either...

They're a rugged airplane, a pain to work on but stout. I worked out in Wilmington with airborne and we took the guillotine to about 20 of them. Crushed them for scrap. They just can't compete with the new more efficient aircraft. 2 crew instead of the DC-9's three and 2 motors instead of 3.

There is one DC-9. flown by Scaiff Aviation that I doubt will ever be retired though. I was involved in a flat panel mod in the cockpit of that thing.

They're a rugged airplane, a pain to work on but stout. I worked out in Wilmington with airborne and we took the guillotine to about 20 of them. Crushed them for scrap. They just can't compete with the new more efficient aircraft. 2 crew instead of the DC-9's three and 2 motors instead of 3.

There is one DC-9. flown by Scaiff Aviation that I doubt will ever be retired though. I was involved in a flat panel mod in the cockpit of that thing.

What DC-9 had three motors?

Last edited:
I have only been on DC9's/MD80's as a passenger. There was a period in the late eighties, early nineties when I ended up taking last minute flights all too often. Booking at the last minute would put me on the back row in between those two warbling engines.

I was also a passenger often in C130's when in the military. On those I also ended up putting up with warbling for hours at a time.

Sitting between warbling engines is not pleasant. As a passenger, I say good riddance to these kites.

as long as i wasn't in the last few rows. it was fine. those engines were crazy loud! this picture was in the old NWA simulator in Minneapolis a few years ago
sim_zps8bb24443.jpg

They haven't stopped flying the MD-80 have they? I was a passenger on Super-80 recently.

If the MD-80 is still flying, then it seems a little odd to say that the DC-9 no longer flies, because the MD-80 uses the same type certificate as the DC-8.

They haven't stopped flying the MD-80 have they? I was a passenger on Super-80 recently.

If the MD-80 is still flying, then it seems a little odd to say that the DC-9 no longer flies, because the MD-80 uses the same type certificate as the DC-8.

All the MD-80 series is still in use, as well as the 717.

I spent a good part of my IBM career in 727s and DC-9s traveling on business. They were both awesome workhorses.
As someone commented, the back of the DC-9 was really noisy. The 727, not much better.

Back