Last 747 ever built

ArrowFlyer86

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
Saw this article on NPR about the last 747 ever to be produced, headed to Atlas Air.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/08/1141578966/boeing-747-last-jet

I remember my first flight on one to Europe as a kid. Along with the 727 and the MD80 it was among one of my favorite planes. For nostalgias sake I hope they continue to operate for quite some time.

What’s the replacement? 777-300er?

Dreamliner?

A380 is already finished…

Saw this article on NPR about the last 747 ever to be produced, headed to Atlas Air.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/08/1141578966/boeing-747-last-jet

I remember my first flight on one to Europe as a kid. Along with the 727 and the MD80 it was among one of my favorite planes. For nostalgias sake I hope they continue to operate for quite some time.

well, it is reasonable to expect that the VC-25B will operate for quite some time... assuming it ever gets finished and delivered.

well, it is reasonable to expect that the VC-25B will operate for quite some time... assuming it ever gets finished and delivered.
How long has it been on order for?
... And don't even tell me how many tax dollars have gone to pay for it's R&D....

I remember the first time I saw a 747. To me it looked terribly slow on take off.

I also remember seeing two 74s sitting on the ramp in Anchorage for years. Had ATLAS on the tail...

I wonder how much fuel it took to fly that pattern at 15k in a 747? Not something you see every day.

The 737 line is moving to Paine Field and the Renton Airport will be closed and the land turned into condos.

Like the artwork ,remember flying on one to the west coast that had the upstairs lounge.

I remember the first time I saw a 747. To me it looked terribly slow on take off.

It did! My dad worked for United Airlines and was pretty excited about the 747s when they came out. Not long after they came out, we were on vacation in Hawaii and at the Honolulu airport when one lined up to take off. At the time, the terminal there sat about midway along the runway and you could see the whole runway, so Dad called us over to the windows to watch. By the time it left the ground, I was "helping" it! I'll never forget how exciting it was.

I grew up on two mile final to a big international class B. My biggest amazement was how such a huge airplane could be soooo quiet. The 747 was one of the first with high bypass engines, it really was a whisper jet compared to the 707, 727, DC9, DC8 and other really loud jets. The 707s were ear splittingly loud on takeoff.

First 747 I saw was in 1970 at Santa Barbara CA, where I was working on my CFI at the time. It was a Continental 747, shooting the practice ILS in VFR conditions on rwy 7. It didn’t land; just made a low pass and disappeared in the twilight.

Back