Lasix and 3rd class

U

Unregistered

I had Lasix about 6-7 yrs ago. It went great, I have 20-20 in both eyes. Is there anything special I need to do to get my 3rd class?

This is a great question and a procedure I often think about. I'll be interested in whatever information you learn.

Thanks for bringing it up.

FWIW. I had radial kerototomy on both eyes something like 15 to 20 years ago. This procedure was butchery compared to today's lasix. I just got a 1st class medical. If you can read the eye chart, who cares?

FWIW. I had radial kerototomy on both eyes something like 15 to 20 years ago. This procedure was butchery compared to today's lasix. I just got a 1st class medical. If you can read the eye chart, who cares?
I've heard there are considerations by Aeromedical but I've not dug into it. Dr. Bruce will weigh in at some point.

Re: Lasik and 3rd class

More than two years out, the AME is able to make the dcision. Read the chart, pass the near/distant and convergence specs, and you're good to go.

By the way, Lasix is a medication you take to make you pee out a lot of excess water and salt in a condition called Congestive Heart Failure. If you take lasix, you can't fly too well for the next four hours......:goofy:

More than two years out, the AME is able to make the dcision. Read the chart, pass the near/distant and convergence specs, and you're good to go.

By the way, Lasix is a medication you take to make you pee out a lot of excess water and salt in a condition called Congestive Heart Failure. If you take lasix, you can't fly too well for the next four hours......:goofy:
We have no shortage of smart butts on this board. Yours truly contributes greatly! :)

Okay, so what about a recent procedure? How would that affect a medical or self-grounding beyond a month required after Lasik? I've read there is dry or glaring vision at night during that time. But, I've heard someone say it can keep you grounded for up to six months.

Halos and glaring are not counted in the "bad outcome" statistics. You need a letter from the opthalmologist prior to two years, saying that your vision is now stable, and that your Haloing and glaring are not limiting; he can give specs for vision and if they are within 90 days the AME has the option to take those and not put you to the chart.

New pilot here. I went in for my medical over a month ago and had no problems with my Lasik (which was done about 6 years ago). My eyesight has been stable (except for old-age presbyopia) since the Lasik. It is great not to have to wear glasses!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back