LASIK question

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
I was looking at the astronaut application (not that i wanted to apply, just curiosity) this was one of the FAQs..
Is surgery to improve visual acuity allowed?

No, any type of surgery to improve visual acuity, e.g. radial keratotomy, photorefractive keratectomy, LASIK, etc., will disqualify you for the Astronaut Candidate Program.

Why would LASIK disqualify a person applying for an astronaut position. Do the airlines have a similar policy? I was under the impression that the laser procedure was safe and in most cases would retore vision to better than pre procedure.

Michael

Last edited:
Damn, there go my dreams of becoming an astronaut...

I'm sure a qualified doc will chime in but from what I've heard Lasik slices the outer membrane, peels it back and then lasers the cornea. Then puts back the outer membrane and stitches it. Apparently the incision linenever gets back to 100% and there is some concern that in really low pressure situations it may burst open.

This may be an urban legend but it was what was explained to me.

bstratt said:
I'm sure a qualified doc will chime in but from what I've heard Lasik slices the outer membrane, peels it back and then lasers the cornea. Then puts back the outer membrane and stitches it. Apparently the incision linenever gets back to 100% and there is some concern that in really low pressure situations it may burst open.

This may be an urban legend but it was what was explained to me.
Even though to be noticeable, it's rare, there is some degree of haloing that occurs with even the best of outcomes. RK weakens the cornea. If it is prohibited in the astronant program, I'll bet it's because of "low light high contrast" situations.

Actually they just stick the cornea back - no stitching required. I'll have to remember not to go into outer space though - I don't want to risk my eyeballs exploding!

Back