LASIK monovision with FAA

Schmak

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SSchmak
First post. Googled a few times and this site kept showing up on the first page. Hoping to get some help so I don't screw up my chances of keeping this new job.

I just got a job that requires me to get an FAA Class II medical, even though I'm not a pilot. I recently went in for the first of two lasik operations with the intention of doing monovision (one eye set for distance, and the other set for near). The distance eye operation went well and initial results are 20/15. That was a month ago, and I was scheduled to get the other eye done next week.

But now that I have this new job and need to get the FAA medical, I googled FAA LASIK MONOVISION and hit what looks to be a red flag, as if I understand it correctly the FAA will require 6 months of recovery before I'd be issued a medical. Or am I wrong, and they will issue the medical while I wear corrective lenses (to compensate each eye for both distance and near vision)?

I could go ahead and get my other eye corrected for distance, but that would defeat the point of why I wanted to go with monovision in the first place. As it is right now, with my one eye corrected for distance, I can see well from computer-screen or arms length out to distance, but would need the second eye corrected with either cheaters or monovision lasik to see well closer than arms length.

Hopefully this makes sense to you. In a nutshell, I currently have my dominant eye corrected via LASIK for distance-only, and my non-dominant eye uncorrected but useful for computer-distance vision. Looking for advice on how to proceed. This job is something I don't want to walk away from, but I also would like to not lock both eyes into a far-sight oriented LASIK option.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm asking is, can I get a Class II after lasik by using corrective glasses, and then in 6 months get permission to go without the glasses?

I guess what I'm asking is, can I get a Class II after lasik by using corrective glasses, and then in 6 months get permission to go without the glasses?
Yes, it's approved with Lasik. I had it done. Not approved with contacts.

Edit - I just saw the Class II in your post. I don't have that! Surely you could get it done, wear one contact for the 6 months.

But now that I have this new job and need to get the FAA medical, I googled FAA LASIK MONOVISION and hit what looks to be a red flag, as if I understand it correctly the FAA will require 6 months of recovery before I'd be issued a medical. Or am I wrong, and they will issue the medical while I wear corrective lenses (to compensate each eye for both distance and near vision)?

What I'm reading is that you might be required to wear glasses during the 6 month period after surgery as a stabilization period. After that, you can apply for a Statement Of Demonstrated Ability (SODA), which is usually just a one time functional test that you can do certain tasks. The recovery time is something I haven't dug deeply into.

But rather than using SGOTI guessing, I'd ask an AME for a consult - a paid engagement where you get to ask questions about your specific situation and the AME helps you understand the standards for getting a medical.

What I'm reading is that you might be required to wear glasses during the 6 month period after surgery as a stabilization period. After that, you can apply for a Statement Of Demonstrated Ability (SODA), which is usually just a one time functional test that you can do certain tasks. The recovery time is something I haven't dug deeply into.

But rather than using SGOTI guessing, I'd ask an AME for a consult - a paid engagement where you get to ask questions about your specific situation and the AME helps you understand the standards for getting a medical.
I never even thought about asking for a consult. Good idea!

Related question - do you know if I need to fill out the MEDXPRESS form for a consult or would that only be required if I was going for the actual Flight Physical? I'd ask the doctor, but from the calls I've made so far they all seem to have full schedules. Might need to drive outside my area to find one quickly.

Spent a frustrating morning calling doctors offices and talking with gatekeepers trying to get a consult. None of the people I talked with were willing to schedule me for a consultation with the AME prior to the actual medical exam.

But... after sleeping on this last night and then working through the phone calls this morning, I think I've percolated a coherent thought or two about the issue. Going to go back to my lasik doc and get a prescription for eye glasses that will get me to the Class II requirements I would need to meet. Once I get the glasses, I'll schedule with an AME and do the thing.

Hoping anyone that sees a problem with my logic can chime in here. Really don't want to be declined for the Class II and have to jump through (more) administrative hoops to get approved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back