*&$@! Lasers!

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
I got to fly last night for the first time in six weeks (my plans for 4V4 on Sunday were scrapped due to faulty carb heat). It is the first time I am flying at dusk, and it was great. We flew around and did some basic manuevers and then went back to GFK for some touch and goes. I think I did the best landings I ever did in my training so far.

Except for the fact some idiot was out in a backyard somewhere aiming one of those stupid red lasers at us. Having limited "night-dusk" experience, at first I thought it was a reflection of something into the back of my glasses into the corner of my eye as I turned into the downwind leg after the first touch and go.

I think it did enter the back of my mind that nothing on the old Cessna's panel was that bright, and the light was the "wrong" shade of red from anything coming in from outside. (You know--that "digital red"). I mentally registered it as annoying but then didn't think much about it since I was thinking about landing and avoiding huge flocks of geese instead.

My instructor was noticing it, however, and after we landed, reported the incident. Hopefully they can find out who is pulling this stupid c**p locally. I know when he mentioned what it was I was ready to go on a house-to-house vendetta of my own.

Grrrr.

That's bad...

As a local (Philly) talk show host used to ask, "How come there's more horses asses than there are horses?"

I don't really know the answer, but you just had a demo of why the counting comes out that way...

NickDBrennan said:
unbelievable. some people just need to die.

I vote for postively identifying these people, then holding them down and shining a laser into their eye until I feel satisfied. Mmmmmm, yes.

Wow. What is this idiot doing living next door to the airport if he doesn't like it? Sorry this happened to you.

Not defending the guy by any means, but I think a lot of times these guys don't consider that there's a pilot in the airplane and are just playing around trying to paint a distant object. At 1000 feet or 500 feet or whatever, a tiny deflection of the device moves the "spot" a long way. It's a game to them.

What kid hasn't shined a powerful flashlight straight up just to "see" the beam? It's the same kind of thing.

There has been much discussion about whether the beam from your typical pointer can do any damage at that range, but I don't know the answer to that. The distraction here is probably more of a threat than the presence of a laser light.

Ken Ibold said:
Not defending the guy by any means, but

Hmmm, it's important to some of us that you just agree that violence is the only way to handle this particular situation. :rofl:

kellyo said:
Hmmm, it's important to some of us that you just agree that violence is the only way to handle this particular situation. :rofl:
Very True. This is worse than some guy at a stop light with 20,000 watts of audio which you can feel and hear 30 cars away. If he deserves violence (which he does, of course), then the laser guy deserves it even more. :)

RotaryWingBob said:
Very True. This is worse than some guy at a stop light with 20,000 watts of audio which you can feel and hear 30 cars away. If he deserves violence (which he does, of course), then the laser guy deserves it even more.

Man, that is a pet peeve of mine. I don't want to hear rap music and the damn sub woofers in somebody else's car. Grrrrr. :no:

Now that is where "Stop the Noise" should focus, not little airplanes.

kellyo said:
Laze 'm back! I don't think there's any regs against shining lasers FROM aircraft, is there?
Biggest toy wins!

I think that is a felony regardless of whether they shine it at a 150 or a 747.... might be worth reporting or at least getting a newspaper article going about the hazards it poses to the perpetrators!

Back