Laser Spark Plugs

JesseD

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
That's really cool. I've heard of automotive spark plugs that shoot out four perfectly formed sparks to aid even combustion... but never lasers.
And now I want the laser plugs.
"Cool car, man!"
"Thanks. It has a laser-assisted engine."
Awesome.

Pretty neat. They claim a more uniform burn than standard plugs and are even working on a multi-laser (3) for even more finer over the burn.

NOTE: currently being designed for autos. Be kind of neat if it could help solve the 100LL switch problem. The STC would probably be one heck of a PITA though.

http://www.loudoun.daily-monitor.com/laser-tpo-replace-spark-plugs-in-combustion-engines/5246/

Don't worry, these won't do anything to help with the 100LL problem.

They claim that the lasers will help ignite leaner air fuel mixtures than spark plugs. The problem is, the issue with running lean in a car is catalysts, not ignition. Without spending a lot of money on aftertreatment systems running an automobile lean ain't a gonna happen.

Don't lasers have lenses? What happens when oil, grease, or carbon get on them?

They claim that the lasers will help ignite leaner air fuel mixtures than spark plugs. The problem is, the issue with running lean in a car is catalysts, not ignition. Without spending a lot of money on aftertreatment systems running an automobile lean ain't a gonna happen.
It seems to be pretty common that when someone develops a "promising new technology" they speculate about all sorts of likely uses and advantages for their idea without any real knowledge in the areas they're claiming significant benefits.

When I'd first read about this I was reminded of those tourist tschostkys (sp?) that have a 3D "engraving" inside a piece of glass (I think it's glass). If I understand how those are made, they focus the beam (or beams) at that point in the glass and cause small micro-fractures. It is intriguing to think about how that could be directed to the center of an air/fuel mixture.

Elemental carbon doesn't burn, and is opaque.
"Doesn't burn well" is how I'd phrase it.

Coke is coal that has the volatile components baked out of it, and is mostly carbon and ash (metal oxides) and is used as a fuel.

It seems to be pretty common that when someone develops a "promising new technology" they speculate about all sorts of likely uses and advantages for their idea without any real knowledge in the areas they're claiming significant benefits.

No kidding.

Uhh, some pilots on here seem to have failed basic chemistry.

C + O + O = CO + CO2 + energy (lots)
A diamond burns very nicely, and expensively, as any insurance adjuster will tell you...
Charcoal is just elemental carbon that burns very nicely as you char your steaks...
An activated charcoal filter binds avidly (a form of burning) with lots of elements...

denny-o

Uhh, some pilots on here seem to have failed basic chemistry.

C + O + O = CO + CO2 + energy (lots)
A diamond burns very nicely, and expensively, as any insurance adjuster will tell you...
Charcoal is just elemental carbon that burns very nicely as you char your steaks...
An activated charcoal filter binds avidly (a form of burning) with lots of elements...

denny-o

Speaking of failing chemistry...

Activated charcoal binds lots of things because it has binding sites, it doesn't necessarily oxidize any of them. I might have misspoke, whatever sooty stuff that I wind up sanding off my spark plugs is both inflammable and opaque. It probably isn't elemental carbon (but it sounded cool). I would imagine a laser wouldn't work very well with that stuff caked to its lens.

Even if the technology shows promise (no idea), it won't help the octane requirements of engines any.

Repeat after me: The laws of physics have not changed. The laws of physics have not changed. The laws of physics have not changed.

'Cats that shoot laser-beams from their eyes'.

We can't seem to even get a contact-less ignition for aircraft certified and now we'll go with laser-beams ?

Back