Largest number of SIs for a single individual?

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
Just curious.

Do any of the AMEs or FAA types here have any idea what that might be?

Or how many is the most you personally have had for a single patient?

One. A special issuance considers multiple conditions if multiple conditions exist.

One. A special issuance considers multiple conditions if multiple conditions exist.
Well... yes, from the FAA's point of view. They only issue you once regardless of how many conditions they have to clear you for. But to the AME, they're distinct issues (if not issuances)... and my old AME in Michigan used to charge me a flat amount extra per SI.

And FWIW, the last time I went to him I had 3 SIs: one was for a totally BS 40-year-old dx (have you ever in your life been diagnosed with... ?), one was an SI because of the way the dx was coded, even though the condition has no aeromedical significance at all, and the third was for real (a complicated PVD).

I am sure that isn't anywhere close to the largest number anyone has had, though. Remember that diagnoses accumulate as far as the FAA is concerned and are, in many cases, almost if not totally impossible to overturn. If I went for a 3rd class now I would need 4.

One airman, one patient, one special issuance medical authorization. If another condition crops up? A new SI is issued. Not an additional SI, a revised one with different considerations. It’s still one SI.

Thanks didn't know that. I thought they were distinct. I guess the number of issues that required an SI is what I should have asked.

I learned something today guess I can take the rest of the day off. :)

I think we're arguing semantics. As I said, some AMEs (such as mine) call them separate SIs and charge you extra for each. (Mine also charges you a smaller extra amount for each CACI.) The FAA authorizes one medical per airman as @Stewartb said, so to them it's one SI. It all depends on your point of view.

Y'all are crazy.

image.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back