Largest non-complex single engine aircraft?

I was in a Chieftain climbing for cruise altitude at climb cruise settings, 2500 rpm. As I went to pull the props into cruise settings, the right engine prop control cable broke. I just synced the left engine to the right one and ran at reduced MP on both engines per the engine cruise settings chart and no problem, except the extra noise.

Right. At reduced MP. Aka you were not in your best configuration and cruising at a bit less power.

You can get a 185 with 1500+ useful I believe

Let's see....fixed gear, fixed pitch prop, no flaps, payload >1500 lbs, legal to fly in the US. Ford Tri-motor. But I don't think that they fly quite like a 172...and there aren't too many listed on trade-a-plane.

Complex is a fun add-on. You don't need a special reason to get it. Just go get it.

edit: I missed the "single engine" part. I'll change my answer to the F-106. Easily exceeds your payload requirement, but it's going to be difficult to get passengers into it.
I was going to suggest the F-16 but that's a retract.

I was going to suggest the F-16 but that's a retract.

Yeah, I cheated a bit, F-106 is retract as well, but doesn't have any flaps. And I'm pretty confident that "slip to landing" is not a recommended procedure in an F-106.

Back