Large pilot - what aircraft?

drhunt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Moose Air
I have a friend who is 6'2", 300+ lbs who is seriously considering buying a business aircraft, possibly a piston Twin Commander or Malibu. I've flown right seat in a Twin Commander and recall a bit of "monkey motion" getting into the cockpit and I'm much smaller. I've also flown in Cessna 414s and don't think he'd find that much better. I've suggested he sit in several aircraft to get a realistic idea of their cockpits. Any options he might consider that would be more comfortable for a larger pilot? 1000nm range, 200kts, 6 seats

drhunt said:
I have a friend who is 6'2", 300+ lbs who is seriously considering buying a business aircraft, possibly a piston Twin Commander or Malibu. I've flown right seat in a Twin Commander and recall a bit of "monkey motion" getting into the cockpit and I'm much smaller. I've also flown in Cessna 414s and don't think he'd find that much better. I've suggested he sit in several aircraft to get a realistic idea of their cockpits. Any options he might consider that would be more comfortable for a larger pilot? 1000nm range, 200kts, 6 seats

A C150, sitting in the middle of the two seats with a yoke in each hand ?

drhunt said:

It prolly won't be an EZ..:)

drhunt said:

It is not the Malibu either.

drhunt said:

Beech 18

The A-36 Bonanza is a little tight for a friend of mine who is not only 6'4" but of large stature also. He's settled on the C-414. The Mooney will accommodate someone like that but they have to recline back somewhat. The Malibu may be O.K. Not just the height when sitting, but the space between seats may provide some room.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

bstratt said:
Cherokee 6 is a little roomier as well.

Or it's twin engined cousin the Seneca. Actually, I think there are a few near-cabin-class twins like the Navajo or C-421 that would be comfy, but the only singles besides the Cherokee 6/Lance/Saratoga with room for a 300 pounder would be a PC-12 or Caravan. I don't suppose he'd consider losing some weight? That might solve a lot of potential problems. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider something with lots of extra width and a custom fitted seat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. While a Beech 18 would be comfy, I don't think he'd go for that one. I think he should just go to the next big event (AOPA Expo, etc) and try on as many as he can to see what might be possible.

drhunt said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. While a Beech 18 would be comfy, I don't think he'd go for that one. I think he should just go to the next big event (AOPA Expo, etc) and try on as many as he can to see what might be possible.

This wasn't about what I hoped it was about, but I'll change course and help out anyway. I have a friend who is exactly those dimensions (if not heavier), and he is very comfortable in a Cessna 210.

Judy

P.S. To save you from having to ask, from the thread title, I was prepared to laud someone for worrying about weight and balance because he is heavy. I have flown a lot of different C182s in my flying career, so I have a pretty good sense of the weight and balance characteristics of that model. I know C182 drivers who I am almost positive throw the airplane into nose-heavy condition every time they fly alone, and possibly into an overweight condition when they fly with some of their family. I have bitten my tongue raw trying not to remind them to check weight and balance. I really wonder how many people go with the 170 lb "average" when, between them and their pax, they clearly do not come even close to that.

Why do I bite my tongue? Because if I do say something, I'm likely to lose my head, either by having it bitten off by someone in a defensive mood or having it hit a brick wall of denial.

drhunt said:

I am 6'6" and weigh 280. I have the Cherokee Six I would have bought the Saratoga but to much money.

I have plenty of room in the Six but to tell the truth the 172 (we also own) has more leg room for the passenger behind me than the six. The 210 may be the ticket. But for simplicity and low maint. cost I will stick with the Six.

Dogman

drhunt said:

Everything else I could think of requires some gymnastics to get in the left seat. The next best thing I can think of is a later model T-Bone Twin Bonanza. Especially one with the airstair. You still have the over wing door and can put down the armrest and slide across a very ample bench seat (reasonable seating for three across with the co pilot seat with pedals is actually the center seat, so on those long cruises you can really stretch your legs out and still have rudders and lean back in the corner.

Those are nice airplanes. Cost similar to operate as a 310 or a 58P, but have infinitely more class. There is a Seneca II on up, but those I don't consider a Big man airplane. Yeah, I'd probably want an E-50 if I was him, heck I want an E-50 being me.

It was this very decision that led me to a Cherokee 235. I was a lot heavier, but it was not so much a concern when I had a plane with a 1400lb useful load.

One strong reason I ended up training where I did was when I called around and told them I coudn't fly in a 150. Several told me stay away. Cardinal told me to come on over. They have a 900lb useful load STC for their Warriors.

Then I lost weight so I could get my medical. Can you say I always fixed problems two ways?

It's nice when you see your plane happily lift you, 84 gallons of fuel, and a regular sized CFI at 1600FPM.

judypilot said:
This wasn't about what I hoped it was about, but I'll change course and help out anyway. I have a friend who is exactly those dimensions (if not heavier), and he is very comfortable in a Cessna 210.

Judy

P.S. To save you from having to ask, from the thread title, I was prepared to laud someone for worrying about weight and balance because he is heavy. I have flown a lot of different C182s in my flying career, so I have a pretty good sense of the weight and balance characteristics of that model. I know C182 drivers who I am almost positive throw the airplane into nose-heavy condition every time they fly alone, and possibly into an overweight condition when they fly with some of their family. I have bitten my tongue raw trying not to remind them to check weight and balance. I really wonder how many people go with the 170 lb "average" when, between them and their pax, they clearly do not come even close to that.

Why do I bite my tongue? Because if I do say something, I'm likely to lose my head, either by having it bitten off by someone in a defensive mood or having it hit a brick wall of denial.

Judy, do not bite your tongue.. I saw this situation at JNX one day and rather than berate or offer unwanted advice i simply ask this pilot if he as as experience pilot could help a low time pilot with weight and balance..
He obliged and did an example on his a/c and discovered his forward cg.His
remark to me was" thanks guy you might have just saved my life."
Maybe, maybe not, but it might have saved mine, for I calculate w&B as a regular part of preflight planning...KD.

Off topic: welcome back Henning...where ya been?

A Cheyenne, Navajo or Chieftain will easily accommodate your friends frame and the seating for 6....don't know if they will meet the 200 kts and 1,000NM range requirements.

Len

Off topic: welcome back Henning...where ya been?[/QUOTE]

I am working in Bedrock er... Belgium that is, and my access to the internet is quite, well, it's basically non existant where I am currently docking most of the time. I feel like I'm in the stone age. Oh well, a couple days at a good dock hooked into some guys wireless network he left open, If you see this whomever, thanks.

drhunt said:
6'2", 300+ lbs, 1000nm range, 200kts, 6 seats
Beech is right, but not an 18 for several reasons starting with speed and ending with the hike up the sloping deck. The correct number is "90." And I don't think a Cheyenne will do as well, since the Beech cabin is the roomiest in its class.

I am 6'2" and 325 pounds. The most comfortable single engine I have piloted is a Commander 114TC.

With a cabin that is 4 feet wide and 4 feet high it really does rival larger aircraft in terms of comfort and it has two big doors for ease of entry. Sitting in the right seat for the first time I likened it to being about like sliding behind the wheel of a 5 series BMW.

Flying at around 160 knots cruise and 800+ nm range, it falls a little short of your pal's performance requirements.

I do not know if Commander is still in business or not, they were having financial issues a few years ago and were introducing a 115 series of aircraft.

Good Luck

I guess i depends on how he's put together as im 6'3 285lbs myself and fit just fine in the Cherokee 235. I fluxuate from 285-300lbs depending on holidy ;) so I know whats its like to be thick.

The 235 will carry it all, I've had myself and a 240lb CFI right seat so thats well over 500lbs up front. No issues, the speed however falls short considerbly of the 200KTS.

He would need a twin 182 :)

Never flown one, just from sitting in it the cockpit of the 414/421 seemed quite roomy. They would also get close to his mission requirements.

This thread is from 2005! When did this board start?? :D
By the way, a 400 series Cessna will work for him.:D The big twin Pipers have a spar to crawl over to get to the cockpit, might make it difficult for a big guy. ;)

I would go with the beech line,have flown the Cheyenne ,not very easy for a big person to get in the seat.

This thread is from 2005! When did this board start?? :D
By the way, a 400 series Cessna will work for him.:D The big twin Pipers have a spar to crawl over to get to the cockpit, might make it difficult for a big guy. ;)
Not too much before that if I recall. But necroposting seems to be the game (as in how old can we go).
My suggestion is this. If it can't do the job, nothing can. Unfortunately, there's only one.

Not too much before that if I recall. But necroposting seems to be the game (as in how old can we go).
My suggestion is this. If it can't do the job, nothing can. Unfortunately, there's only one.

Big airplane, but how comfortable is the cockpit?:D a Lear is a big airplane, but looking at the cockpit, I'd have to be cut into sections and reassembled in the seat! :mad2: :D

Trinidad TB20 or TB21, however they are not 200 knot planes. Maybe 175 in the TB21. Also, not 6 seaters.
I have a TB9, am 6' 1", 300+ pounds, and I fit comfortably.

Jim

Last edited:
The SOCATA TB line TB-20 / TB-21 / TB-200 might all be something worth considering for you. Especially the "GT" models of each. For more info you can get the book about them for about $20 at Amazon, search for SOCATA.

Back