Large Patterns

That one has been around a while. I find the ever increasing number of stripes on Paul's epaulettes amusing.

I do love this video. That being said, we have a slew of NIMBYs at my airport, so our pattern is nonstandard and giant on one side. Practically twice the size of a normal pattern.

I do love this video. That being said, we have a slew of NIMBYs at my airport, so our pattern is nonstandard and giant on one side. Practically twice the size of a normal pattern.

Why not change to a right pattern? The airport manager can submit that to the FAA.

Nonstandard and giant on one side and the size of a normal pattern on the other side? Does your airport have left and right traffic to the same runway?

JYO used to have a pattern (for noise purposes) on one side of the airport (i.e., left traffic for one runway, right for the other). After more houses grew up on the pattern side, it was politically decided to just have everybody fly left traffic and share the misery.

Why not change to a right pattern? The airport manager can submit that to the FAA.

Good point. I'm not sure why they wouldn't do that, but in all the years that W29 has been around it hasn't been changed, so I figure they have some reason. It is a really busy airport (busier than several of the local towered airports, including SBY with some limited commercial traffic) so changing it could cause some issues for a while, but it would make sense.

Nonstandard and giant on one side and the size of a normal pattern on the other side? Does your airport have left and right traffic to the same runway?

Yup, that's right. We have left traffic to both 11 and 29. On 29 we fly a 1.5 mile wide pattern. It's actually a little funky on 11 as well, because we slide to the left to follow Rt. 50 on climbout (NIMBYs again), and it's far enough over that instead of turning crosswind and then downwind, we (well, I and a number of others) just do one 180-degree turn.

Yup, that's right. We have left traffic to both 11 and 29. On 29 we fly a 1.5 mile wide pattern. It's actually a little funky on 11 as well, because we slide to the left to follow Rt. 50 on climbout (NIMBYs again), and it's far enough over that instead of turning crosswind and then downwind, we (well, I and a number of others) just do one 180-degree turn.

That's not left and right traffic to the same runway.

NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard = airport haters

Eddie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard = airport haters

Eddie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not limited to airport haters

Also don't forget about CAVE people, Citizens Against Virtually Everything.

Or the group Al Capp created back in the 60s in Lil Abner - SWINE. Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything.

Back