Large Gate Opener Suggestions? TTF

topgun260

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topgun260
We have a gate that is for "Through The Fence" access to a public airport that we would like to make powered. Opening is approximately 60' and the gate is in 2 sections that roll/slide opposite directions along the fence. The access is from private property and is only for a handful of property owners.
Does anyone have experience making something like this powered with remotes and some type of fail safe so it doesn't close on an aircraft?
Suggestions? Cost?

We have a gate that is for "Through The Fence" access to a public airport that we would like to make powered. Opening is approximately 60' and the gate is in 2 sections that roll/slide opposite directions along the fence. The access is from private property and is only for a handful of property owners.
Does anyone have experience making something like this powered with remotes and some type of fail safe so it doesn't close on an aircraft?
Suggestions? Cost?
I own a construction company on the side that specializes in gates and gate openers. That's a pretty big slide-gate opener, 1 hp per side...about $2000 per opener plus installation (which, depending on the install, could cost more...lots more...than the openers). Call local contractor(s) for quote(s)...what area are you?

Suggestions? Cost?
The one at our airport has sensors on the "inside" to prevent closure, and allow you to get your car out. Putting those on the outside would sort of defeat the purpose. So perhaps sensors on each gate section, and fully manual (push button) open and close, without automatic close. There are systems that will give you x seconds to get through the gate, then watch for a vehicle, and close as soon as it's past, but I'd hate for it to shoot under a tail and close.

I have 2 powered gates I have been maintaining for many years.
Like said 60' is large, it this for planes to taxi through? If not can you make the gate opening smaller?
I had one replaced about 5-7 years ago, it is wide enough for a semi truck to pull through. It cost 12K to replace plus the concrete work by a concrete contractor. Probably got $18-20K into it and it is only about 20' wide.
You need a hard surface to work with because the loop wires get put into the ground for the operation. They can cut the existing surface or like in our case it was best to rip out the old, they put the wires in then the concrete guys did the new concrete slab over the wires. Need electrical service nearby.

I believe for a 60' wide auto gate for aircraft is going to cost a lot more than $20K? LIke said above you will need two of them. Double maintenance also.

Last edited:
I own a construction company on the side that specializes in gates and gate openers. That's a pretty big slide-gate opener, 1 hp per side...about $2000 per opener plus installation (which, depending on the install, could cost more...lots more...than the openers). Call local contractor(s) for quote(s)...what area are you?

We're in Western Montana.

I have 2 powered gates I have been maintaining for many years.
Like said 60' is large, it this for planes to taxi through? If not can you make the gate opening smaller?
I had one replaced about 5-7 years ago, it is wide enough for a semi truck to pull through. It cost 12K to replace plus the concrete work by a concrete contractor. Probably got $18-20K into it and it is only about 20' wide.
You need a hard surface to work with because the loop wires get put into the ground for the operation. They can cut the existing surface or like in our case it was best to rip out the old, they put the wires in then the concrete guys did the new concrete slab over the wires. Need electrical service nearby.

I believe for a 60' wide auto gate for aircraft is going to cost a lot more than $20K? LIke said above you will need two of them. Double maintenance also.

Yes, this is for aircraft.

I do believe that Tiltaway in Billings, MT can make some doubles that'd go that big, but that'll be a really expensive gate...

I do believe that Tiltaway in Billings, MT can make some doubles that'd go that big, but that'll be a really expensive gate...

I guess I'll have to dig up another coffee can to pay for it!

I guess I'll have to dig up another coffee can to pay for it!

It's definitely a "2-can" budget :eek:

Had one installed across a overside driveway opening last year: 22' iron gate (just plain, not ornamental) and roller hardware, big liftmaster opener, remotes, standing keypad, safety sensors, and opener sensor on the inside. All in was right at $15K, so you're probably looking at quite a bit extra for the additional size on the gates and then double it.

Back