Laptop Question

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
The Laptop (v38414) that's being hyped on Shop NBC.com) today, which appears to have lots of bells and whistles. What does anyone know about said item? Is it all hype, with features above/beyond most practical needs? Suggestions, please!!

HR

Hype. WAY overpriced.
I got a Toshiba 2 years ago with a DVD writer and a 3.4 G processor for $1,900. This is a generic and half the speed.
If you're buying, you can use your money better at IBM or Toshiba. Use this as a good starting point. This would probably be a $999 machine at COMPUSA.

*Cough* Harley, you can run Windows on a Mac now.

A Macbook similarly equipped WITH >$600 worht of real, not special edition software, is around $1100-$1300.

If you want Pro quality my Macbook Pro is a screamer and it was still around $2000. I'd wait until the next processor speed bump in a few weeks for a Pro, though. The Mermom processors should be announced soon for MB Pro. Those will be more powerful, yet run cooler and use less power.

mikea said:
yet run cooler
That's too bad really. It seems to me the only thing the MacBook had going for it was the fact that it ran so hot you could actually cook an egg on it....Dual purpose!

eggbook.jpg

Last edited:
jangell said:
That's too bad really. It seems to me the only thing the MacBook had going for it was the fact that it ran so hot you could actually cook an egg on it....Dual purpose!
Yeah, "the only thing" 'cause lord knows it's just running OS X that makes Intel CPUs get hot. The other OSs barely make it break a sweat.

eggbook.jpg
[/QUOTE]
That's funny. I hadn't seen it.

I think I could do the same with my "old" 1GHz Pentium III Compaq laptop. It would just be cooking at lower heat setting.

mikea said:
I think I could do the same with my "old" 1GHz Pentium III Compaq laptop. It would just be cooking at lower heat setting.

Maybe. But you need 144 degrees according the FDA for it to be safe to eat. Which the MacBook provides :)

Yeah the Macbook runs hot . Yes it's an Intel processor that makes it so. But Apple engineered (or at least paid someone to) design the entire notebook. I'm sure there could have been some chassis changes that would greatly reduce the thermal issues.

Beleive me. I'm not a Microsoft fan boy. I actually am/have considered buying a MacBook but really can't justify the cost difference.

Back