Laptop prices

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Trying to avoid thread creep...

gprellwitz said:
Glad you're hooked up. As you can imagine, I wasn't offering a PowerBook. Can't afford that, even for myself! :eek:

*insert Mac vs. Windoze argument here* ;)

Actually, each time I buy a new Mac, I go and configure an equivalent Windows PC (usually from Dell) to be sure I'm getting a decent deal.

So, here's the specs:

(Both)
2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
17" screen
Remote control (for media apps)
1GB DDR2 SDRAM
8x CD/DVD dual layer burner
10/100/1000 Ethernet (Apple's is autosensing so you never need a crossover cable, dunno about Dell)
256MB video card

Retail Prices:
Apple MacBook Pro: $2799
Dell XPS M1710, closest configuration possible to the MacBook Pro: $3,118.

Dell advertises the XPS M1710 as a $2400 machine. Here's why it costs more to make it like the Mac:

$2400 stock
$375 upgrade to 2.16 GHz
$29 remote control
$215 upgrade to 100GB hard drive (MacBook has 120GB stock)
$50 DVD burner (upgrade from CD-only burner/DVD reader)
$49 Bluetooth card

So, for the privilege of dealing with spyware, a bloated OS, the Evil Empire Microsoft, and an 86% bigger (volume) laptop that's 32% heavier, I get to pay 11% MORE? No thanks!

The "Macs are more expensive" is a myth, folks... They're better machines, not more expensive.

I will admit that in a lot of items, Mac does end up a little more expensive, but there are a number of extras you get with a Mac, such as Office, that play into the cost. Just for fun, take your PC, calculate how much it cost for the system, and look at a Mac out of the box. Now find the software and goodies that came with the Mac, and price them into the PC's cost. That price gap will close pretty quickly.

Having spent 35 years in data processing, I've decided PCs are like any other piece of computing equipment. Deciding factors SHOULD BE can it do the job purchased for, user (read ME) friendly, expandable, price. This goes from the simplest device (a terminal) to large scale mainframes.
Operating systems are the same thing. Does it do the job purchased for, user friendly, expandable, price. Item 2 is the reason I buy Windows machines. If I was "unix friendly", my next choice would be the same machine with a linux OS.
Note price is on the end of the scale. If you can afford it, price shouldn't be a consideration.

flyingcheesehead said:
The "Macs are more expensive" is a myth, folks... They're better machines, not more expensive.
Wrong retailer. Take the same specs and find one at powernotebooks.com.

My laptop is $4500 on Dell...but I paid $2800 for a Sager with equivalent features.

Yeah, but most people do not need such power. I just got a nice Dell laptop with decent performance, 1GB ram, 15.4" screen, MSOffice, built in wireless and ethernet, and printer/scanner for $600. Coulda spent more to get more, but I don't need more.

I too am in the market for a laptop. Dell usually has some really great coupon codes that you can find online. If you not in a rush it has been a couple of weeks since their last batch so im sure there will be someting coming out soon.

I monitor this website daily because people all over the US use it and use their forum to report what they find. Not just computer stuff but all kinds of online deals.

www.slickdeals.net

Also here is a site that list dell coupon codes

http://www.4computercoupons.com/dell-coupons.html

There is a deal for 750 off Inspiron systems 1999 and more right now but nothing special at the moment.

I am patiently waiting.. i have seen some AMAZING deals come out :)

flyingcheesehead said:

Yes, they're "better" (for some things)*. I drooled over them. I wanted to buy one. But I bought two laptops for a total of about $1500. I don't think it was even possible to buy one Mac for that price. Yes, the Mac is better and faster but, as someone else mentioned, I didn't need that power for what I'm using the laptops for. I opted for something small as opposed to something powerful.

* I am saying this because "better" depends on your use. If you're looking for a small computer that'll fit in your flight bag, the Mac's ain't it.

wbarnhill said:
I will admit that in a lot of items, Mac does end up a little more expensive, but there are a number of extras you get with a Mac, such as Office, that play into the cost. Just for fun, take your PC, calculate how much it cost for the system, and look at a Mac out of the box. Now find the software and goodies that came with the Mac, and price them into the PC's cost. That price gap will close pretty quickly.

I didn't bother with Office for my laptops. Just put on OpenOffice. Cost: $0.

gprellwitz said:
Yes, they're "better" (for some things)*. I drooled over them. I wanted to buy one. But I bought two laptops for a total of about $1500. I don't think it was even possible to buy one Mac for that price. Yes, the Mac is better and faster but, as someone else mentioned, I didn't need that power for what I'm using the laptops for. I opted for something small as opposed to something powerful.

* I am saying this because "better" depends on your use. If you're looking for a small computer that'll fit in your flight bag, the Mac's ain't it.
The rumor is there's a really mini Mac laptop, possibly a tablet with flash disk in the pipeline. That's why the Macbook is a 13" and not a 12".

The MacBook is $1100-$1200 for a viable one. Remember you won't need the $30 a year security suite software, although it would take a while for that to be factor in NetPresentValue. You also don't need CD/DVD burning software, Photo software, Movie editing/ authoring, Music editing, etc. .... You may get "special editions" of some those bundled with your average Windows PC but every one will pop up a window telling you some greyed out feature isn't there and asking if you're sure you don't want the real version for a mere $89 more.

wbarnhill said:
Just for fun, take your PC, calculate how much it cost for the system, and look at a Mac out of the box. Now find the software and goodies that came with the Mac, and price them into the PC's cost. That price gap will close pretty quickly.

Ummm...Actually, the price gap will WIDEN - Note that the Mac was $300+ CHEAPER just for the hardware.

If you're looking for a LOW LOW end laptop... Well, the Mac's gonna have to be used. No $600 new laptops here.

Part of the reason I prefer all the goodies is that it gets me into new technologies and capabilities that I didn't "need" when I bought the machine but I end up using. For instance, my PowerBook has Bluetooth. When I bought it, I didn't have anything else with Bluetooth so it was fairly worthless. When I bought my cell phone, I suddenly had a lot of cool capabilities. I wouldn't have gone and spent another $50 at that point to add the Bluetooth, but because it's there, I can do all kinds of nifty stuff. :yes:

Brian Austin said:
Wrong retailer.

I guess "retail" was the wrong word. Not going to get into a "what's the best retailer" as there are about two zillion of them.

These prices were off the online stores at dell.com and apple.com. That's a fair comparison.

Brian Austin said:
Wrong retailer.

I guess "retail" was the wrong word. Not going to get into a "what's the best retailer" as there are about two zillion of them. I also didn't pay full price, but again, a ****ing match between who can find the best discount doesn't have any purpose.

These prices were off the online stores at dell.com and apple.com. That's a fair comparison. Average Joe and Average Jane know nothing about where to buy a computer or what to buy or how to find "coupon codes," they're just going to walk into their local CompUSA and walk out with a computer. They're the ones that the "Macs are expensive" myth really hurts.

Average Jane/Joe...I'm thinking something like this.

Dell Inspiron B130 1GB/40GB 14in Notebook $449, Jun 19
Ends soon. Dell Home has the 6.7lb Inspiron B130 value priced Notebook Celeron M 370 1.5Ghz, 14in Widescreen, Free 1GB/40GB, CDRW/DVD, 802.11abg wireless, Free Netgear 802.11g wireless router, 1yr warranty $449. $19 shipping. No tax in some areas. No rebates. Exp Soon
Pay with Dell Preferred Account and save an EXTRA 2% Instantly. First select Credit as payment to see the offer.
$10 Router rebate Exp 7/2

It will do anything they need it to and be worth the same as your new wonder computer in 4 years. The average person needs a $500-700 computer that will last them a few years and not be the end of the world if it is stolen or dropped a few hundred times.

flyingcheesehead said:
That's a fair comparison.
That's a matter of opinion.

I have 30+ Dell laptops in my network, along with another 50 Dell desktops....and I still went with a Sager for my personal laptop. I generally get a good 10% below what you'll find for the best price online due to the volume (we buy about 3-5 new workstations a month and 2-4 servers every year and I KNOW I'm one of their small customers).

I have all the goodies, including WiFi (a/b/g), highest end video available at the time, Bluetooth, built-in webcam, CD/DVD burner with all available formats, 120Gb HDD (5400RPM since I wanted more space than the extra bump in speed to the 100Gb 7200RPM available at the time), 2Gb RAM (expandable to 4Gb), DVI/VGA out, S-video out, 4 USB ports, 17" 16:9 high end screen, a rather unique audio port in back that I've never seen before (it can be ANYTHING you want for audio: line in, line out, microphone, headphone, whatever is available), along with a full keyboard...plus number pad. Ah...and a SERIAL port which is unusual today, too, but I often need one to hook up to machines with older apps that don't like the USB/serial adapters.

Whatever the case, why do you even bother comparing PCs to Macs for any reason other than to bash PCs? Everyone knows where you stand. I'd hardly believe you'd start shouting "Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell!" anytime soon.

Brian Austin said:
Whatever the case, why do you even bother comparing PCs to Macs for any reason other than to bash PCs? Everyone knows where you stand. I'd hardly believe you'd start shouting "Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell!" anytime soon.
Dude! I got a Dell! A couple of Dells! And I'll probably get another Dell! But I got a Mac, too! And I LIKE IT. I LIKE IT A LOT! :D

Dell Inspiron E1705
17" Widescreen LCD
Intel Core Duo T2600 2.16Ghz
Nvidia Geforce 7900 256Mb Graphics
XP media center
1Gb DDR2 SDRAM
120Gb Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD Burner (DVD +/-/RW) with Dual layer write
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet + Modem
Intergrated Dell 350 Bluetooth
Integrated Intel Pro 3945 Wireless
2 year free McAfee Virus scan and spyware system
2 yr warranty (including at-home service)
13 month unlimited Dell On-Call support
12 Month (after unlimited period) 5 incident support
6 Months free America Online ( LOL ! )
Remote Control for Media Centre
Netgear WGR614 Wireless Cable/DSL Router

$2083.25 after 35% Dell online discount.

I attached the quote in the PDF.

Attachments

• delle1705.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 1
SJP said:
Dell Inspiron E1705
I've played with these that friends have bought. I'm impressed. It's a nice system and Media Center is quite interesting from a consumer point of view. We had CATV on it in less than two minutes. DVR functionality only took a few minutes to figure out with no manuals. Nice screen, too.

Brian Austin said:
I've played with these that friends have bought. I'm impressed. It's a nice system and Media Center is quite interesting from a consumer point of view. We had CATV on it in less than two minutes. DVR functionality only took a few minutes to figure out with no manuals. Nice screen, too.
Heh - add this to make up the $750 you saved over the Powerbook and you're all set ;)

I wont EVER buy another desktop again. What a waste of money. I just build them. Its so easy to do and for the money you pay you get SO MUCH more computer.

Laptops a different story ;)

Brian Austin said:
Whatever the case, why do you even bother comparing PCs to Macs for any reason other than to bash PCs?

Too much misinformation about Macs in the world. Just trying to combat that a little bit.

Too many people make the assumption that they need a Windows PC right off the bat, when in reality there are many folks (not all) who would be better off with a Mac. Unfortunately, they go to CompUSA or Best Buy or even Wal-Mart :vomit: and take the minimum-wage advice they get there as expert opinion.

I used to have a consulting business, and if someone needed Windows PC's, that's exactly what I told them to get. Neither platform is perfect for everyone, and hopefully it never gets that way. Competition is good. (And not Microsoft's version of it...)

Iceman said:
The average person needs a $500-700 computer that will last them a few years

Unfortunately, most $500 computers don't last a few years. :no:

Unfortunately, what you need now, today, isn't what you'll want or need 6 months, a year, two years from now. The more you can do with the computer you buy today, the less you'll want or need to replace it in a shorter timeframe.

SJP said:
$2083.25 after 35% Dell online discount.

And how does one get this discount? Why wasn't it offered to me when I was shopping on their site?

Either way, again, I'm trying to compare apples to... Well, you know what I mean. :rolleyes: :rofl:

OK. I surrender.

I have to admit the Dell laptops can do some things better than Macbooks.

The new Intel Macbook Pro and Macbook have been known to get warm but Dell has that beat!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550

Attachments

• dell%20banger1.jpg
    dell%20banger1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
flyingcheesehead said:
Ummm...Actually, the price gap will WIDEN - Note that the Mac was $300+ CHEAPER just for the hardware.

If you're looking for a LOW LOW end laptop... Well, the Mac's gonna have to be used. No $600 new laptops here.

Part of the reason I prefer all the goodies is that it gets me into new technologies and capabilities that I didn't "need" when I bought the machine but I end up using. For instance, my PowerBook has Bluetooth. When I bought it, I didn't have anything else with Bluetooth so it was fairly worthless. When I bought my cell phone, I suddenly had a lot of cool capabilities. I wouldn't have gone and spent another $50 at that point to add the Bluetooth, but because it's there, I can do all kinds of nifty stuff. :yes:

I was actually siding with you, saying that the price gap that people claim exists between macs and PCs would close if you factored into the PC price the different software that comes on a mac. Stop keeping people from agreeing with you! :D

jangell said:
I take it you read slashdot :)
Yeah. And digg and Fark (now Total Fark, I've gotten more long, long belly laughs from the commenters there than any other place lately.)

I think I'll squeeze in some actual work now before I go home.

flyingcheesehead said:
And how does one get this discount? Why wasn't it offered to me when I was shopping on their site?

Either way, again, I'm trying to compare apples to... Well, you know what I mean. :rolleyes: :rofl:
Was direct offer, unsolicited, on Dell's website. They give that one just for ordering online - but it's not available on the XPS series...which is why you didn't see it ;)

And I just checked, discount is still available for Home/Small Business purchasers, up to 5 systems per order.
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/entnb_e1705?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Last edited by a moderator:
wbarnhill said:
I was actually siding with you, saying that the price gap that people claim exists between macs and PCs would close if you factored into the PC price the different software that comes on a mac. Stop keeping people from agreeing with you! :D

LOL - you Mac guys complain when Microsoft bundle..and then point out that you bundle better than Microsoft...:D

I run these number all the time, I have to for work. In general Mac cost a bit more to buy and considerable less to support. BUT MAC's are just way cooler.
And pilots know cool.

wbarnhill said:

I know you agree with me, but you said that if you were to buy all the software for PC that the Mac includes out of the box, the price gap would "close." The only way it would close when you had to buy more would be if the Mac started more expensive than the PC, which is not the case... :p

flyingcheesehead said:
Too much misinformation about Macs in the world. Just trying to combat that a little bit.

Too many people make the assumption that they need a Windows PC right off the bat, when in reality there are many folks (not all) who would be better off with a Mac. Unfortunately, they go to CompUSA or Best Buy or even Wal-Mart :vomit: and take the minimum-wage advice they get there as expert opinion.

Most people will have the same excruciating experience regardless brand, O/S or retail experience. Where's that link to "Every O/S sucks?"....

Back