laptop issue

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
I have a Toshiba laptop running Vista.
Updates are all "done".
I have a problem with windows explorer stopping working when on battery power.
When on AC not an issue. I posted about this quite awhile ago, but now I have tracked it down to only happening when on battery power.

Any ideas of what to look at? Talking to Toshiba is about the same as trying to get a VFR clearance into ORD.

Edit: This does not occur every time I am on battery power. Can go days and not happen, then it will happen every five minutes the next day. No rhyme or reason to it that I can figure out other than being on battery power seems to have some conflict.

Thanks

Mark B

Last edited:
Since it happens on battery mode only, I'd look at any power saving settings and screen savers. Try changing the power mode to "Presentation" or something and see if that affects it.

I had the same problem with a Toshiba laptop a while back. It progressed into Windows Explorer completely crapping out on me. I made a new user account (something like Brandon #2), and everything worked fine. Try it out - hope it works for you.

Since it is explorer that is causing the problem, check the power status of the harddrive. If you turn off the harddrive after x minutes while explorer is using it, explorer could stop working when the drive is off. (The drive might not be getting the correct request to restart. It might be an incompatable drive issue also.)
Start by changing it to the same value as on AC.

Thanks for the ideas.
The only difference in my settings from battery to AC is the brightness of the screen.
I don't have any "users" set up on this computer (meaning no log in required).
I have changed a couple of settings. See what it does.
I already tried changing the screen brightness to be the same and didn't help it any.

Thanks again for the help

Mark B.

Thanks for the ideas.
The only difference in my settings from battery to AC is the brightness of the screen.
I don't have any "users" set up on this computer (meaning no log in required).
I have changed a couple of settings. See what it does.
I already tried changing the screen brightness to be the same and didn't help it any.

Thanks again for the help

Mark B.

I had a similar problem with my USB driver for my Sprint Wireless. Search through Microsoft's Knowledge Base. The "Automated Update/fix problems" didn't automatically download the fix. Once I found it, no worries.

Back