Laptop HDD Needed [NA]

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I recently got a 'donor' Compaq laptop for my wife. Being that it is a 'donor' it definitely comes "as-is". She has used it for about 3 weeks now and today, the harddrive took a dive.

It's a Compaq Evo N620c. The harddrive that's in it now (currently INOP) is a Toshiba MK6022GAX HDD2184.

Any ideas on where I can get a similar replacement? There are a lot of online places listed when I google the part number, but I have NO clue about which suppliers are trustworthy. If it's too pricey, I'll probably just wait and try to shop down a new laptop for her, since we have exactly $0 invested in it currently.

Thanks for any insight...

The laptop you got is a nice unit. Not to big or heavy. Moderate screen size and long battery life. It came with a 30-60gig harddrive. Here is a link to a 60gig from Newegg (one of the most trusted online computer parts resellers on the net) for $58 +$5.29 shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144378.
You can check out their other 2.5" harddrives if you want to go larger.

I recently got a 'donor' Compaq laptop for my wife. Being that it is a 'donor' it definitely comes "as-is". She has used it for about 3 weeks now and today, the harddrive took a dive.

It's a Compaq Evo N620c. The harddrive that's in it now (currently INOP) is a Toshiba MK6022GAX HDD2184.

Any ideas on where I can get a similar replacement? There are a lot of online places listed when I google the part number, but I have NO clue about which suppliers are trustworthy. If it's too pricey, I'll probably just wait and try to shop down a new laptop for her, since we have exactly $0 invested in it currently.

Doesn't matter dude, just buy any laptop hard drive of the storage size you want, pull whatever jumpers or adapters are on the one you have and put them on the new one. Recent (several years now) laptop hard drives are all the same.

Fly up to MSP and show me the RV and I will give you one :yes:

Or http://cgi.ebay.com/WD-Scorpio-2-5-...5QQihZ002QQcategoryZ42184QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
80GB, USED. As I said, you "have a chance," not "you will." Chris said he was interested in suppliers who were trustworthy. Just saying "eBay" doesn't answer that. I mean, the vendor on eBay isn't going to go out and say "Buy from me. I'm UNtrustworthy!"

I'm not saying eBay is a bad place; just that you have to be careful there, so I wouldn't be sending someone looking for a trustworthy vendor there. I mean, Maxwell St. in Chicago used to have some great buys, but you had to be real careful to avoid being taken.

I'm not saying eBay is a bad place; just that you have to be careful there, so I wouldn't be sending someone looking for a trustworthy vendor there.
I have no problem buying stuff there and recommending it to others. It's like the old saying about buying airplanes based in Florida due to salt corrosion. It's too general a statement to be either true or untrue. It's not really worth arguing about though. People here are grownups and can figure out who's reputable and who isn't.

We buy a lot from CDW and some parts from TigerDirect. Both
have been good to deal with. We also buy quite a bit from
PC Connection.

RT

CJones, I may have an even better deal. Pull out the harddrive and check the MFG date. There is a good chance it is still under warrantee (most laptop Harddrives at that time had a 3 year warrantee. You can go the the MFGs (of the harddrive) website and put in the serial number. If its under warrentee they will replace it for FREE. It does not matter if your are the original owner or not.
If this works out do I get the ride in the RV at Gastons?

CJones, I may have an even better deal. Pull out the harddrive and check the MFG date. There is a good chance it is still under warrantee (most laptop Harddrives at that time had a 3 year warrantee. You can go the the MFGs (of the harddrive) website and put in the serial number. If its under warrentee they will replace it for FREE. It does not matter if your are the original owner or not.
If this works out do I get the ride in the RV at Gastons?

Well.. It was a good idea. Went to Toshiba's website, but this particular S/N is out of warranty. :(

Oh well.. Maybe we can swing a ride in the RV for "effort". ha!

Back