Laptop Audio Question

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I'd like to convert some Vinyl LPs to CD. My laptop computer does not have a "Line In" input to the sound card. The microphone input doesn't have the right input impedance to match the output of the stereo. I bought a RCA jack to USB adapter thinking that there must be some way to get the sound card to accept analog input from the USB port. So far, if there is a way, I haven't found it. The adapter I bought is a "video grabber" meant for tasks like converting VHS tapes to DVD. That isn't a digital input so either it or the USB port must be doing some A to D conversion. The laptop is an Acer. I find two items listed under audio in the device manager, Conexant High Definition Audio & Intel Display Audio.

Any input for someone who is only semi computer literate.

The alternative is relocating the stereo or a desk top type computer to get a normal "line in" input close enough to the stereo.

I've done similar when I was a DJ. Even though I wasn't recording vinyl for that purpose, I would run my Turntables through my mixer ( needed the mixer for the preamps to convert the sound from the needle cartridge to a usable line level voltage) , then from a line out on the mixer to a line input on my sound card, then using a program called audio grabber , would record my mixes or performances to MP3.

The easiest thing I would say to do without having to buy software packages and other types of sound cards is this .

Take your turntables and run them into an audio receiver on an AUX, phono or free input. Typically you will want something that is a component style or "stackable unit" think separate tuner/ amp, cd player , tape deck that you used to stuff in a cabinet when surround sound came about. This unit will also need those tape out jacks.

You take that tape out and use a male RCA to 1/8 tip ring sleeve connector. ( ie stereo jack) then plug into your mic connector. You will have to adjust your input volume on the mic mixer on the pc to a tolerable level. The catch with doing it this way is it will only be mono.

Download audio grabber , and when recording , you can adjust the input levels with the on screen VU meters. You will have some options with the software to record as a MP3 and your bitrate and or record to wma. If you are looking to do this for a CD , you will only want WMA.

The other option is this ....... Find the songs you want on Itunes or similar MP3 site , then just burn it to a cd. If you aren't familiar with the software and the connections / hardware , this will be the easiest route to take

I got the audio into the computer through the stereo amp and the microphone jack. The microphone jack works but not well because of the impedance mismatch. I haven't checked the web for already digitalized versions but they aren't popular common records. One is the Cologne cathedral bells. Two others are Brumley gospel music produced in the family and with a former governor of Tennessee doing the piano on one of them. I'll check out the provided links as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks.

What OS are you running? You may have the mic boost turned on or just have to play with the mic record setting in the audio mixer. If it is to loud, you will probably have to turn it almost all the way down . The other option is to go to your local Radio Scrap and get a patch cable that is made from resistor wire. That will attenuate the signal a bit more and give you more flexibility on the volume settings.

If you are using the stereo's amplified outputs ( speaker level ) it is going to be way too much . Does your unit have any pre-amp or line level outputs ?

I'm using windows 7. I am using the "Tape - Record" output of the stereo amp. The software will automatically adjust the input volume when it is shown a sample before recording but what sounds good on the speakers sounds pretty bad when played back from what was recorded on the computer. I guess I'll just have to relocate the turn table and amplifier into the room with the other computer..

I got the audio into the computer through the stereo amp and the microphone jack. The microphone jack works but not well because of the impedance mismatch. I haven't checked the web for already digitalized versions but they aren't popular common records. One is the Cologne cathedral bells. Two others are Brumley gospel music produced in the family and with a former governor of Tennessee doing the piano on one of them. I'll check out the provided links as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks.
It's not the "impedance mismatch" that makes it work poorly. When you connect a line level source to a microphone input the voltage level is way too high and will overload (and possibly damage) the input. You can buy or make an attenuator that will solve this nicely although you will still get more background noise when using a mic input than you'd get with a line input.

Back