Lapsed Medical w/SI questions

U

Unregistered

I've been out of civillian flying for 20+ years and am ready to step back in. Before I do so, I have a couple of questions that will drive my decision to either go PPL with an ultimate goal of a Class II for eventual Comm/CFI use or LSA. I'm pretty certain I'll need an SI, but not sure it would be issued.

First, my original medical was an SI for an Atrial Septal Defect repair that was done in 1981. My original medical was issued in 1990 and lapsed. Can I expect to re-accomplish the same battery of tests from my original? Unfortunately, I can't find my original FAA letter, but I do know my medical number (and still have it in my files).

Next, I've been in the Air Force and have maintained an active Flying Class III medical since 1996 due to my duties as an aircrew member. During my tenure in the Air Force, I've had a couple of setbacks that I'm really concerned about.

In early 2000, I received a reprimand through non-judicial punishment for an event that was alcohol related (disorderly conduct). This did not affect any of my driving privledges. During the time frame between the event occurring and the punishment being served, I voluntarily attended outpatient counselling for stress management (the CDAC's root cause for the event). Other than that episode, I have had no other issues with alcohol and rarely have a drink today. Is this reportable as either as administrative action or considered substance abuse?

In late 2009, I was diagnosed with superficial spreading melanoma with a depth of less than .5mm. I received and Air Force waiver to my flight physical and routinely see my dermatologist for skin checks. I know I will need an SI for this, will my Air Force waive package and/or the follow up care information be of any help for the SI?

Other than that, I had a dislocated shoulder in 2010, which shouldn't be an issue as far as I know.

If an FAA Class II is possible, is this something any AME can do, or is there a specific AME I should work with in Colorado.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

You can order a copy of your file from OKC. They'll charge you a couple $$ for the file search. I ordered mine last year and it was complete back to my original medical and student cert almost 20 years back.

The doc's and lawyers will have to help you with the rest. Dr. Bruce is especially helpful with these. If you're serious, contact him at www.aeromedicaldoc.com. He'll likely be along later this evening.

I sorta think that for what you have had, what you have now, and what you want, working directly and off forum with Dr. Bruce Chien will provide the best possible chance at success.
Good advice that. Also, I believe that SI's have a term limit. I think mine is good for 10 years IIRC. So your original is probably moot anyway.

Good advice that. Also, I believe that SI's have a term limit. I think mine is good for 10 years IIRC. So your original is probably moot anyway.

Length of SI depends on the condition the SI covers. For mine with Type II Diabetes and OSA, it's 6 years. I think there are a few that are less.

Don't forget that the FAA is all about recency. For the OP, it's possible that key tests and labs will need to be done to demonstrate his current state of health. All might be well and good anyhow, but he will need to obtain documentation to that effect and get it into the FAA system within 90 days of that test/lab being done.

Understood. Which is why we're both saying seek out Dr. Chien and get the punch list of items from him.

You'll probably want to do this:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...y_of_certification_records/index.cfm?print=go

Airmen Certification

There are two ways to get copies of your airmen certification records. You can mail us:

You can also release copies of your airman certification records to a third party (PDF, 19 KB ).
You can mail all your requests to:
Federal Aviation Administration
Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082
Once we receive your request we will notify you of the total charges due and payment options.

In order for an airman or third party to obtain copies of medical records or a duplicate medical certificate, the request should be mailed to:

Federal Aviation Administration
P.O. Box 26200
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-9914
ATT: FOIA Desk. AAM-331
You'll shorten the timeframe by a few days if you make sure to send (or scan/email) a signed request. I used this link: http://www.faa.gov/foia/foia_request/ and selected the "Airman Medical Records" option. It will generate a letter that contains everything you need for the request. I added a sentence asking for "all information that the FAA has on file about me, including medical records and any forms or applications that I have submitted in the past." I got an email back a few days after I sent the request, asking me for a signed copy of the request. I printed/signed/scanned/emailed back to the nice lady and she went to work collecting all my information.

I take no credit for the above info - I got it the same way you did: by asking the great people of PoA. :yesnod:

Unreg, currently it takes about 5 weeks to get your "Blue Ribbon Medical Record". It's free, except for certified mail for which you are billed when you get the record. Below $8.00, they swallow it. Above $25.00 they notify you and ask if you still want it. I have received blue ribbon records on HAND TRUCKS. They ACTUALLY have a blue ribbon punched through in the upper right hand corner.

For the reprimand and alcohol disorderly, you merely need to show 13 years of NO infractions (alcohol) on a continuous DMV printout- if you have lived in several states, you will need several states' printouts.

The Melanoma only needs the pathology report and the resection report, provided you recalled the 0.5mm limit well.

Was you letter in r.e: Atrial Septal Defect an eligibility letter or an SI letter? If eligibility, then you need nothing. If an SI, then you need a cardiologist's letter and a current bubble echo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back