LAPD Air unit

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Does anyone know if the LAPD air unit does fly alongs? I am here until the 1st of December and don't have much to do.

Does anyone know if the LAPD air unit does fly alongs? I am here until the 1st of December and don't have much to do.

You're in L.A. 'till the first and you can't find anything to do... in L.A. :confused:

Not sure. But definitely do a ride along with patrol if you want an interesting night. Ask for a HOT beat!

Venice Beach.
Santa Monica.
Call a flight school at El Monte or other airport, rent an airplane and CFI and go flying.
Universal Studios tour - the Psycho house!
Drive up PCH
Tour JPL - yes, there's a small visitors center.
Drive out to Goldstone and see the antenna farm
Drive out to Palmdale/Edwards AFB, another NASA facility and obligatory visitors center.
Over to Hollywood for the Movie and TV museum. You can order almost any episode of your favorite TV show and watch it at the museum. Great exhibits, too.

Unless you know someone in the department - my guess would be no (Liability). Lots of GA fields around here to grab a plane and go fly.

It's Wednesday right? Go to the Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club in San Pedro and see if they have beer can races going on this evening. If so, stand around the docks and someone will pick you up to go sailing as rail meat if nothing else.

Not sure if things have changed, but...... it used to be very hard to get a fly-along with LAPD's ASU. Years ago, I used to work for a different agency's Aviation Unit and had a female LAPD Officer ask to go on a fly-along with our Dept. I did take her up for the fly-along (OK, so she was very good looking, but that had nothing to do with it; well, not much anyway). I asked her why she didn't go with her own Dept and she replied that it was too hard to get a fly-along with her own Dept's Air Unit..... and she was an LAPD Officer herself. (If they had seen how good looking she was, I bet they'd have taken her though!)

I called and was invited for a tour of their facility, but was told no on the flight. He said they only allow officers that are currently assigned to an agencies aviation division to do a fly along.

I called and was invited for a tour of their facility, but was told no on the flight. He said they only allow officers that are currently assigned to an agencies aviation division to do a fly along.

So...take it to the streets for a night?

Back