Landis tests positive

I saw that. Hope his 'B' sample comes back clean.

A couple of things. They did just lower the threshold for high testonerone not too long ago and he is just above the new threshold.

Also he has twice the testoserone producing capability than the last Tour winner ;);)

I sure hope the second sample is clean as well. That sure would make us look bad :(

Ive heard something about him possibly being on medication because of Hip issues. Apparently his Hip is giving him serious pain and he is looking at getting it replaced now?

tonycondon said:
Ive heard something about him possibly being on medication because of Hip issues. Apparently his Hip is giving him serious pain and he is looking at getting it replaced now?

He has necrotic bone disease in his hip. It was from a broken hip that he suffered during a training ride when he was with the US Postal Team.

Darrell111 said:
I sure hope the second sample is clean as well. That sure would make us look bad :(

Not so much worried about "us" looking bad as having a real honest hero to look up to.

If his epic comback stage win was drug spurred, well, why the hell even bother?

A few things...

First, Landis "flunked" the testosterone : epitestosterone test. Most people normally have a T:E ratio of 1 (1:1). Generally speaking, no one naturally has a level higher than 6:1.

WADA and UCI recently dropped the T:E ratio to 4:1 - a realm that some say still exists within a normal person.

First off, testosterone is useless in single-dose applications. You use to it gain muscle mass OR help with recovery; however, you have to take an equivient amount of E to beat the test.

Second off, due to Landis' necrotic hip condition, he has been known to get the occasional cortisone shot (legal in this case), which will jack up the T but not the E.

Thirdly, ethanol has been shown to radically skew the T:E ratios in blood serum and urine.

His dehydration and bonk from stage 16 may play a critical role, as his renal system would have been still completely out of whack on stage 17.

It is possible that he was a doper, using T:E patches and he just got his E dose wrong (matching T:E doses means you escape detection), but my personal and honest opinion is: he didn't do it.

Dick Pound sucks.

Cheers,

-Andrew

What i dont understand is..

HE KNEW he would be tested. Why would he dope then? Did he think "what the heck"? It just does not make sense. Is it possible someone tampered with his test?

It seems those folks have had it out for Armstrong for many years, and couldn't find anything that would stick. I can't give much credit to any of their tests until they can be repeated with the same results.

I sure hope he's clean.

The antiinflammatory steroids shot into his hip will make the initial screening test postive.

bbchien said:
The antiinflammatory steroids shot into his hip will make the initial screening test postive.

Isn't there a process to clear these with the governing body ahead of
time .. maybe a baseline test or something first? It just seems mighty
strange that he'd be taking anything with the prospect of being
tested looming.

RogerT said:
Isn't there a process to clear these with the governing body ahead of
time .. maybe a baseline test or something first? It just seems mighty
strange that he'd be taking anything with the prospect of being
tested looming.

You register the condition, not the treatment, which then outlines what treatments are acceptable.

Roger, common sense has flown out the window in the world of pro cycling. The downside of pro cycling is that it is the perfect dopers sport - a sport that requires strength, endurance, rapid recovery, and abnormally high pain thresholds. This means people have devised all sorts of different doping methods (the first dopers were CAUGHT in 1926) over the years.

The other part of all of this is, every single person's body reacts differently to the near-inhuman levels of physical stress these guys go through. Alpe D'Huez is a calf buster for most every cyclist out there. For these guys, they actually race right up the front of it, at 110% capacity the whole time.

To put some numbers around it, Landis held 400+ watts of power over a 30 minute duration in stage 17, up the last climb of the day. The average (average assumes a rider who rides at least 3 times a week and is in reasonable cycling shape) can only hold 400 watts for about 5 minutes. I can, myself, hold 400 watts for just about 3 minutes before the leg pain becomes too intense to push through.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back