Landing

It's just like Steve "Practice, Practice, Practice" Mizerak and Arturo "Practice, my boy, practice" Toscanini said about making trick shots and getting to Carnegie Hall (respectively). On every single approach I make, I pick a touchdown spot and do my best to hit it. Law of Exercise, and all that -- if I practice this on every approach, I'll be really good at it the day I really need to nail it. Further, if you practice enough, you'll be making smooth touchdowns on your selected spot every time, and not have to choose between the two. And this is especially important if you're a typical nonprofessional pilot flying 50-75 hours a year (or less) and making maybe four landings a month if you're lucky.

Hernandez,

I would like to organize a flight to KSEP in the near future and hit Hard 8. I would like to get some of the local pilots to go. AggieMike, RVTim, and whomever else is available in the upcoming weeks.

I would gladly swing by your field and pick you up.

Keep me posted on this get together. I have to skirt Bravo to get around to Stephenville, but if it's a good weather day, I'm in.

Eh. One of my transient instructors whom I refer to as "Yoda" (don't tell him) said that the more time you can spend off of the wheels and brakes the better. If you are parking 2/3 of the way down the runway, don't execute a short field.
Why not? Landing at the lowest possible speed puts the least stress on wheels and brakes, and the short-field approach does just that. It also emphasizes precision in selecting and hitting a desired touchdown point, and that's what you want to do in hat situation.

I think his lesson to me in part was put the plane down where and how it makes sense. I think learning THAT will make me a good pilot.
Now that I'll buy. But there's nothing stopping you from making a short-field approach to that point.

I will post something on the local forum about KSEP trip since we have two themes going on in this thread.

Just a note on that trip, I will put it down on the 1000 foot markers ;)

You should fly down to Whitney state park, its great for short field practice.
(F50) 2,000 ft. it will tighten you up on final.
I'm ready anytime for the hard 8 if anyone needs a ride let me know. I usually have one or two friends hanging around the hangar but can get at least one more, unless someone wants to double buckle...just kidding.

I will post something on the local forum about KSEP trip since we have two themes going on in this thread.

Just a note on that trip, I will put it down on the 1000 foot markers ;)

the trick is off by the first taxi way

But there's nothing stopping you from making a short-field approach to that point.
Absolutely. I shouldn't have said don't make a short field approach and landing. I should have said it doesn't always make sense to land on the first third of the runway provided you have the need and the ability to purposely set down a bit long.

Okay, I posted a thread on the dfw forum along with a poll for best weekend.
And I am not ready for 2000 foot runways yet. I expand my limits very slowly.

...where is the 'local' forum? I'm missing that...searched all over the place. I'm down in Austin but don't want to miss any fun stuff going on in the area...

...where is the 'local' forum? I'm missing that...searched all over the place. I'm down in Austin but don't want to miss any fun stuff going on in the area...

Hopefully acceptable to post a link here:

www.dfwpilots.com

It is not a highly active forum like this one but I am chatty and have a lot of down time so I am doing my part to wake it up a bit. Lots of pilots in this area and I think the local forum can have a ton of value for quick hops to breakfast, local fly-ins, etc

Last edited:
He says he's not gay FYI and gets touchy about it. Better to not talk about it.

:nonod:

Nope. He objected to your use of pejorative and characterization of normal practice as "gay."

I don't know if he's gay or not. It doesn't matter.

Not everyone is afraid of having their manhood challenged.

Nope. He objected to your use of pejorative and characterization of normal practice as "gay."

I don't know if he's gay or not. It doesn't matter.

Not everyone is afraid of having their manhood challenged.

Bingo. Well said.

Landing is easy. You just have to position the aircraft over a pre-selected spot on the runway at just above stall speed and then slowly drift to the ground. Of course how you do this is different depending on altitude, temperature, loading, wind, etc etc etc. If anyone tries to tell you there is a sure fire way to make perfect landings they have never flown.

Oh boy. Pete's back.

I have been thinking the same thing but Pete was never that direct. Name calling and such.

But the style is arrogant and similar.

Question Ponster: If you were going to buy a plane how heavy of a plane would you want?

What is your favorite wine? :rofl:

I have been thinking the same thing but Pete was never that direct. Name calling and such.

But the style is arrogant and similar.

Question Ponster: If you were going to buy a plane how heavy of a plane would you want?

What is your favorite wine? :rofl:

arrogant? what have I done that is arrogant in any way? As for name calling, I already said sorry for using a term that is not polite. You got me, I was wrong. So sorry. Get over it.

**** you all I don't need this. im off.

I'm happy to land the plane as close to the numbers as possible regardless of the length of the runway. I'm a firm believer in the saying that, "The 2 most useless things to a pilot are the gas he left on the ground and the runway behind him!"

Smooth touch down is overrated. The two passengers I flew with recently both said my Landings were smooth even though they were not greasers. They just felt stable to them and we did not hit hard. I'd much rather have a stable approach and a solid landing than float forever down the runway just to kiss it on. That's just me.

I would like to organize a flight to KSEP in the near future and hit Hard 8.

I did my IR-250 and stopped at KSEP and ate there. Oh wow was that place good! I went on a friday night and i guess in that little town, is where everyone goes. Well worth it, go hungry and get the blackberry cobbler!!! Man Im jealous. Coppel has a hard 8 as well, if you wanted to just drive.

I did my IR-250 and stopped at KSEP and ate there. Oh wow was that place good! I went on a friday night and i guess in that little town, is where everyone goes. Well worth it, go hungry and get the blackberry cobbler!!! Man Im jealous. Coppel has a hard 8 as well, if you wanted to just drive.

Just....drive....eh?

Wouldn't be worth a forum post if we were just driving!!

If Man were meant to drive he would have been born with wheels.

Craziness

Back