Landing With No Wind Data

Piloto

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Piloto
On several occasions I had to land at remote 2000ft airfields with no wind data at all (no windsock, no smoke, no XM, no ATIS). The situation gets worse at night. But after GPS was introduced I started using a technique that works very well for telling if you are landing in the right direction.

Approach the runway on the most likely headwind direction. Using your GPS compare the IAS with your ground speed at 1000ft AGL and 3nm from the runway end. If your ground speed is lower than your IAS then you are into the headwind and your are good to go. If your ground speed is higher than the IAS, side step to the downwind and continue flying for three nm. At 3nm turn around 180deg to land in the opposite direction. Compare IAS with ground speed to verify you are in the right direction. Unless you have night vision goggles, when approaching the field at night it is a good idea to overfly the runway first at 100ft with the landing light on to insure there is no obstacles.

José

Good techniques.

Our own (and yes, we claim him to our selves!) Dr. Bruce Chien, a pretty qualified pilot in his own right, has shown a technique by which he flies both ways of a runway, timing fixed distances and computing winds therefrom. Smarter guy than I, but I get it.

Safe practices - like to learn 'em all!

Not so many 2,000' strips around here but the problem is much different.

The wind at 1,000' may be quite different than the wind at ground level. Topography will do that...

Also, runway slope can be as much of a concern as the wind.

So, good techniques overall but use judiciously (as always).

Good techniques.

Our own (and yes, we claim him to our selves!) Dr. Bruce Chien, a pretty qualified pilot in his own right, has shown a technique by which he flies both ways of a runway, timing fixed distances and computing winds therefrom. Smarter guy than I, but I get it.

I have used the above technique before GPS. But the problem is that you always has to make the two passes and maintaining constant airspeed while working your chronometer can be difficult in turbulence.

José

The wind at 1,000' may be quite different than the wind at ground level. Topography will do that...

Windshear is most likely to a cause a similar situation. And this is why you keep monitoring your speed differential as you descend.

José

I always compare airspeed and groundspeed before approaching a ridgeline. I know it's not the only issue, but if I see a big difference, I know there may be trouble.

One of the farmers next to our field installed a windmill last year. It almost always indicates a crosswind at 100' when there is a headwind at the surface. That explained why I usually have to level the wings by the time I land.

Good techniques.

Flying both ways and timing each is the way that is taught by Damion DelGaizo (sp?) in his Tailwheel 101 and 201 series.

I just like glancing at this little indicator...

Attachments

• HLR_7942.JPG
    HLR_7942.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 55
Get used to what approach speed looks like. I approach at 130 kts and can tell I'm NOT in a tail wind by how fast the ground is moving. Approaching at a slower speed makes it easier.

Calm air looks a lot different than a 10kt tailwind and a 10kt headwind. Get the calm air reference and go from there. Same or slower ground movement equals land straight ahead. Faster equals maybe go straight and tear drop in the other way. Much faster equal certianly teardrop in the other way.

Get used to what approach speed looks like. I approach at 130 kts and can tell I'm NOT in a tail wind by how fast the ground is moving. Approaching at a slower speed makes it easier.

Heh. Your approach speed equals my cruise speed. :)

How long is the runway?

I've landed 10kt tailwind when I've had enough runway, and have to pee really bad.

Calm air looks a lot different than a 10kt tailwind and a 10kt headwind. Get the calm air reference and go from there. Same or slower ground movement equals land straight ahead. Faster equals maybe go straight and tear drop in the other way. Much faster equal certianly teardrop in the other way.

Doesn't work well at night.

No street/house lights in the DC area?
Not a one:rofl:

Seriously, yes, but where I land is a busy freeway. It's called US-50 and must be crossed at perpendicular on final on Rnwy 18. Messes with your sense of speed having the traffic do that, so I focus on my intended landing spot.

Wow! Sounds kind of scary landing next to all those cars.:rofl:

During my student solo days, I was working on seeing how soon can I cut the power so I'd do it further and further out. On one approach I cut the power and got so low (or so I thought) that I was going to nip the top of a semi truck. Its funny looking back and remembering me pickup my feet off the rudder pedals.

Not a one:rofl:

Seriously, yes, but where I land is a busy freeway. It's called US-50 and must be crossed at perpendicular on final on Rnwy 18. Messes with your sense of speed having the traffic do that, so I focus on my intended landing spot.

Hey, you fly from Freeway? I drive by you guys every time I go out to the airport (Bay Bridge) and am always hoping someone will come in low for 18...but nobody ever does when I'm driving by.

Hey, you fly from Freeway? I drive by you guys every time I go out to the airport (Bay Bridge) and am always hoping someone will come in low for 18...but nobody ever does when I'm driving by.

I've seen some folks in the pattern, but I've never had an overhead either. But we keep wishing and looking up, don't we?:wink2:

Back