Landing the Airplane

Johnc3640

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
johnc3640
I am a student pilot struggling with consistently landing the airplane so I thought I would attempt to obtain a fresh/different view of what I am doing vs what I should be doing. First, basic info, plane Piper Archer, v speeds 85 downwind, 75 base, 65 final - patern altitude 1800.

I seem to be able to consistently "fly the plane to the numbers" - generally it does not seem that I have to make at lot of pitch adjustments on final - I would describe the final as "a gentle glide to the numbers" with minimal pitch adjustments and gradual power reductions. Question 1 on a normal day (not windy) what speed should I cross threshold? Should I maintain 65 knots on final or should I be slowing slightly and crossing closer to 60 knots? Should I have much
, if any, power crossing the threshold or should the airplane be at idle? If I am fast on final, is it OK to "pitch up" slightly (i.e. reduce the decent rate) slow up and then regain the proper glide slope? "Pitch for speed power for altitude"???, but I have been told to "maintain the glide slope on final!!!". If I have the proper decent angle and power settings no "pitch" adjustment is necessary.

Assuming I manage to level out at about 10 feet (that doesn't always happen lol) while focusing down the runway to "see the picture" what is the picture? Generally, I have attempted to keep the "nose the on the end of the runway", appling back pressure as the plane slows and sinks. All too often during this process I either ballon slightly or land hard. Is the hard landing the result of being to slow - that is lift was lost too quickly and the plane "dropped"? Or, is it the result of leveling off too high and being too aggressive with back pressure? If the plane balloons slightly should I add a touch of power and continue or is this an automatic go around? Are these problems compounded by the fact that generally to fly 65 knots over the threshold I have the plane at idle? Perhaps, I am looking too far down the runway, if so where should I focus and what picture am I trying to see and maintain? If I cross the threshold to fast, say closer to 70 knots (landing on a 5,000 foot plus runway), is there no way to safely land further down the runway? In other words, I recognize that the airplane will float further but shouldn't the same basic landing sequence work, just take longer? If I make a speed mistake, isn't slightly fast better than to slow?

I know that these issues have been discussed at length here and on other forums, I have read most of them so I apologize for asking the "same old question" . However, it is unclear to me what it is that I am doing incorrectly - obviously I am confused and lost. Continuing to practice "seeing the picture" with no clear idea of what I am looking for and why, doesn't seem to be a very good plan. I am hoping that the experiences of other pilots and what may have assisted them can help me "see landing" for an alternatIive point of view.

well, you ask a LOT of questions, probably a lot should be discussed with your CFI. but here are some of my thoughts:
I'm assuming your speed is in knots, which would sound spot on with what I used for the archer, 75mph on final. 'typically', ballooning happens when you're fast, could be other things but your speed seems spot on for a normal landing at less than gross. as for the sight picture, take a mental snapshot of what a slightly nose high attitude looks like, that is the sight picture you want to keep until the plane just settles nicely onto the runway on the mains as u slow down and continue to put back pressure on the yoke, hopefully just as you hear the stall horn chirp.

how far along are you? sounds like typical roadblocks students encounter until they suddenly don't encounter it anymore. so it may just be you need more time/practice.

There isn't a ‘one size fits all’ answer to these questions. You have to do, what you have to do to get the airplane where it needs to be. I'd fly final at 65 and as you start to cross the threshold, begin reducing power to idle and start to enter the flare. It's a sight picture and skillset that only comes with experience.

Remember, do things very slowly. Being quick and abrupt on the controls doesn’t help matters and won’t make for a smooth approach and landing.

I am a student pilot struggling with consistently landing the airplane so I thought I would attempt to obtain a fresh/different view of what I am doing vs what I should be doing. First, basic info, plane Piper Archer, v speeds 85 downwind, 75 base, 65 final - pattern altitude 1800.
This is MSL right and not AGL?

Should I have much
, if any, power crossing the threshold or should the airplane be at idle? If I am fast on final, is it OK to "pitch up" slightly (i.e. reduce the decent rate) slow up and then regain the proper glide slope? "Pitch for speed power for altitude"???, but I have been told to "maintain the glide slope on final!!!". If I have the proper decent angle and power settings no "pitch" adjustment is necessary.
On final in a Cherokee I usually pull power back to idle once I have the runway made. If you're too fast and she floats just keep easing back and she'll eventually set down.

Assuming I manage to level out at about 10 feet (that doesn't always happen lol) while focusing down the runway to "see the picture" what is the picture? Generally, I have attempted to keep the "nose the on the end of the runway", appling back pressure as the plane slows and sinks. All too often during this process I either ballon slightly or land hard. Is the hard landing the result of being to slow - that is lift was lost too quickly and the plane "dropped"? Or, is it the result of leveling off too high and being too aggressive with back pressure? If the plane balloons slightly should I add a touch of power and continue or is this an automatic go around? Are these problems compounded by the fact that generally to fly 65 knots over the threshold I have the plane at idle? Perhaps, I am looking too far down the runway, if so where should I focus and what picture am I trying to see and maintain? If I cross the threshold to fast, say closer to 70 knots (landing on a 5,000 foot plus runway), is there no way to safely land further down the runway? In other words, I recognize that the airplane will float further but shouldn't the same basic landing sequence work, just take longer? If I make a speed mistake, isn't slightly fast better than to slow?
It sounds like you are having trouble judging when to flare. I had similar problems learning to land a Cherokee. Sometimes I would flare too high and she would drop when I ran out of lift and other times I wouldn't flare quick enough and she would fly right into the ground.

What helped me was taking very quick glances to the side to help judge my height, I still looked down the runway but would just look over for a split second. After a while I got used to the sight picture and no longer needed to glance over to see how high I was.

Perhaps, I am looking too far down the runway, if so where should I focus and what picture am I trying to see and maintain?

Yes, you probably are.

From the FAA:

7954777752_a63a8b345a_z.jpg

From Kershner (I think):

34473529032_c4e28515fb_c.jpg

From me:

33825964873_179382020b_z.jpg

33825965123_21105be51a_b.jpg

That said, your CFI should be your primary guidance here.

Another thing I’ll mention. If you’re finding that controlling the energy of the airplane during the approach and landing is a struggle, go back and practice slow flight and get that down pat. Those techniques will greatly help you in this process.

Following this thread - thanks to everyone responding with your insight/experience. I am a relatively new student pilot in a pa28-161 and am struggling to get more consistent on approach and landing.

During my training I got to the plateau of "I'll never learn how to land". It was so frustrating that I was seriously considering to quit flying altogether :(

I realized that my problem (among other things) was my fear of the ground...
Also, I did the mantra of 'pitch for speed, power for altitude' but later realized that this was not working for me. It works during slow flight but not during approach to landing. Now I don't pitch for speed, I put the nose on the numbers and play with power.

Couple of other things that helped me:
- have the CFI cover the ASI and not worry about correct speed, just try to land
- go to an airport with a 12,000 runway and practice flying over the runway as close as I can get (with CFI of course). I was pretending to land but not let the wheels touch.
- flying and practicing landings with two different CFIs. They both thought me new things that my then-current CFI did not.
- come in a little high on final and chop power early and experience the sink rate of your aircraft. I came in as low as I could and was ready to go around at any minute but the point of this exercise was to know/feel/see how the aircraft sinks w/o power.

Then one day it just clicked.

It will for you too!!!

mscard88 lol too late already done that - luckly somewhere between the first and second bounce while my CFI was having a meltdown and screaming, I went around. Seriously, thank you all for your thoughts - although I am frustrated, I am not giving up. I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas about how I may approach this differently - I am certainly willing to do pattern work every day for how ever long it takes - look it's still flying!!! lol but doing the same thing and expecting different , etc, etc.

To answer some of your questions - about 40 hours, not alot of time. Yes, MSL. Slow flight, actually one of the things I think I do well, at least in areas not near the ground. I have done several slow flights over the runway at or about 5 or 10 feet (at least that's the height I think I am) which I seem to be able to accomplish without much of an issue.

for the ballooning question you are moving the elevator too rapidly.

my instructor put it to me like this "the rate at which you flare corresponds to the rate that you are sinking"

all in all reading what you said, you are building muscle memory - it takes time. so even though you don't "feel" like you are making progress you actually are.

heck, I flew with a captain the other day at the airline, about 8000 hours total time, 5000 in type, day 1 leg 1 he floated it and then clunked it on, it happens.

as to whether a balloon constitutes a go around. A go around is never a bad decision. as to whether you need to or not, just depends what's the energy state, how much of a balloon, etc, etc which leads back to a go around is never a bad decision.

One comment about rounding out. You mentioned rounding out at about 10 feet in your first post. In my (not so humble) opinion that for a Cherokee and similar sized aircraft 10 feet is too high. If you catch a bad gust when you’re a little slow the darn plane will literally fall out of the sky. I did it at night from three feet and that was a hard enough landing.

People talk about where to look and sight picture. When taxiing and lining up for take-off note the sight picture ahead and to the sides, particularly note peripheral vision while looking ahead. Now imagine the cowl a little higher. That’ll be the picture you want as you touch down. Everything about final is getting to the point you want to touch down on with that sight picture. Consistency starts with setting the same eye position in the cockpit then flying a consistent pattern using the same aim point every time then learning when to start the gentle round out and pulling into the flare. Power manipulation is in there too. On a Cherokee power is usually off when crossing the threshold. Other folks use other techniques to manage power.

Yeah Clark is right. Cherokees seem to like being closer to the runway when you momentarily level off and begin your round out, or flare if you prefer. If it balloons a little just freeze your flare for a couple seconds, and then as it begins to sink towards the runway again continue with back pitch for round out.

Practice, a lot of it. Everyone here went through it except me of course. :rolleyes:;)

Hang in there, you'll get there.

for the ballooning question you are moving the elevator too rapidly.

my instructor put it to me like this "the rate at which you flare corresponds to the rate that you are sinking"
Exactly! Mainly the reason I mentioned to do things slowly. It’s easy early on to be abrupt and choppy on the controls, simply because the student isn’t as familiar and experienced with the handling characteristics of the airplane.

Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Ryanb you must have spent in the back of my Piper - after reading you posts it occurred to me that I may very well be way too much "fly the airplane, be assertive, don't let the plane fly you" and not nearly enough of "small, smooth corrections". Also, Clark, thank so much, I am very excited tomorrow to attempt landing by trying to leveling out at less then 10 feet, or should I say, finding a better/closer "site picture" that enables me to do that consistently.

Don't stare at your touchdown point. At about 100ft agl, shift your eyes to the far end of the runway. Keep your angle of attack, control your descent with power. As you descend just above the runway, cut your power to idle, hold it off as long as you can. Practice landing by practicing not landing.

Practice landing by practicing not landing.

Yes!

Be super disciplined about hitting your approach and over-the-fence speeds. When you're 10 feet off the deck, take all the power out and get that nose-high attitude if you're not there already.

At 5 feet off the deck, keep the nose high and try to not let the airplane land. This will reduct your kinetic energy, lift, and ensure a slow, safe touchdown speed. Trust me, with all the power out, it will land despite your best efforts! Even a full stall 5 feet off the deck is not going to hurt anything.

(This all assumes you have plenty of runway to work with.)

Too high a speed is just asking for ballooning. I think forcing it down before the plane is ready to land is a survival instinct that can sometimes be hard to shake.

Yes!

Be super disciplined about hitting your approach and over-the-fence speeds. When you're 10 feet off the deck, take all the power out and get that nose-high attitude if you're not there already.

At 5 feet off the deck, keep the nose high and try to not let the airplane land. This will reduct your kinetic energy, lift, and ensure a slow, safe touchdown speed. Trust me, with all the power out, it will land despite your best efforts! Even a full stall 5 feet off the deck is not going to hurt anything.

(This all assumes you have plenty of runway to work with.)

Too high a speed is just asking for ballooning. I think forcing it down before the plane is ready to land is a survival instinct that can sometimes be hard to shake.
^^^^^ EXACTLY what I was about to post. Don't "flare". Just get the plane a (very) few feet above the runway, like 3 or 4 feet. Power at idle. Try not to let the airplane land, and fail gracefully. Ideally your wheels should touch the runway at the same moment your wing finally says, "I'm done, that's it, I can't fly any more". The "flare" isn't something you DO, it's something that happens as you get slower and slower.

I think where a lot of guys get into trouble is the "I'm going to put it on the numbers" mentality. They pick a spot, and by God they're going to land ON that spot. I watch students and some non-students do it all day long when I'm at the airport. I just want to tell them... dude, that runway is 3800 feet long, and you really only need about 500 of them. Any 500 will do. The second or third or even the fourth 500 are just as usable as the first 500. If you're a little fast, don't panic, and don't try to force it. Relax. Chill. Let it float until it's ready to stop flying. OK, if you come in way too hot and you're past the halfway mark, then it's time for a go-around after your picture perfect low pass.

I didn't figure that out until well after I was finished with CFIs and had my ticket. Once I did, the average quality of my landings went up significantly.

Patience. My CFI always said don't force the plane to land, have patience, she'll land when she's ready. Once you round out...keep pulling (Gently) until she settles. Nail the approach, and always be prepared to go around if it doesn't feel right.

Any excess speed means a longer drift in ground effect when you get over the runway and it gives you enough time to mess up and float away. Expect that cushion from ground effect when you pull idle. Is your CFI holding the controls when you land? If yes, you have to pretty much be the sole manipulator and really have a feel for what the airplane is doing. Everyone has their own way to control the plane into the touchdown. If you chase the CFI's cues without knowing exactly what the CFI is correcting for or anticipating from his own experience you wont develop the feel for yourself. If you don't feel comfortable during that phase have the CFI take you down few low passes in ground effect without actually landing. Then, do it another time but start to gradually pull power to idle then do a touch and go. A few times like that and you should really get the feel and mental picture going.

Just a word of encouragement, most of us have been there. After focusing on performance landings during my primary training I completely forgot how to land "normally". Even after getting your ticket that's not some magical event that somehow makes every landing perfect. In other words, "bad" landings happen. If you aren't having to pick up pieces of the aircraft afterwards you are all good -- within reason of course.

Some thoughts:
Your speeds are good. If it's just you and your CFI though then 60 should be fine over the fence. Power definitely should be out once the runway is under you. And if the plane continues to fly (balloon) hold the yoke in position. Let the speed come down. Then continue easing back slowly as she settles. Nothing abrupt. Just nice and easy. And while my experience is in 172s, 10 feet is too high for them also. Height is hard for me to judge as well. I usually half-close my eyes by the point where I think I'm about 5 feet and just use the force.

One other thing. You mentioned your cfi was screaming or whatever on a botched attempt. Maybe that was hyperbole... maybe not. But it might be useful to request landing practices with a different cfi if you can. A good cfi won't be offended. And you will get a new perspective. During landing I want a quiet cockpit. If the cfi is unhappy they are welcome to call "my controls" and have a redo.

I am a student pilot struggling with consistently landing the airplane so I thought I would attempt to obtain a fresh/different view of what I am doing vs what I should be doing. First, basic info, plane Piper Archer, v speeds 85 downwind, 75 base, 65 final - patern altitude 1800.

I seem to be able to consistently "fly the plane to the numbers" - generally it does not seem that I have to make at lot of pitch adjustments on final - I would describe the final as "a gentle glide to the numbers" with minimal pitch adjustments and gradual power reductions. Question 1 on a normal day (not windy) what speed should I cross threshold? Should I maintain 65 knots on final or should I be slowing slightly and crossing closer to 60 knots? Should I have much

I know that these issues have been discussed at length here and on other forums, I have read most of them so I apologize for asking the "same old question" . However, it is unclear to me what it is that I am doing incorrectly - obviously I am confused and lost. Continuing to practice "seeing the picture" with no clear idea of what I am looking for and why, doesn't seem to be a very good plan. I am hoping that the experiences of other pilots and what may have assisted them can help me "see landing" for an alternatIive point of view.

Good landings are slow landings....any excess airspeed will result in floating and long landings (duh). Get comfortable at airspeeds at the bottom of the ASI. That said, concentrate on establishing a constant airspeed on final and TRIM, TRIM, TRIM.

Bob Gardner

Get in a champ. 25% over stall speed when you cross the fence.

Following this thread - thanks to everyone responding with your insight/experience. I am a relatively new student pilot in a pa28-161 and am struggling to get more consistent on approach and landing.
You’ll get there. I went to a flight school for my ppl. I could fly the plane the first day...took three weeks to stop digging holes in the runway with the nose gear! That was years ago. I stopped flying for awhile and recently started flying again. My CFI that singed me off gave me a whole thought process that has really helped me grease them, like the do that vid above. When you get close and are getting ready to flare. Try to “not let the plane land”. With a well trimmed plane, you will be able to provide continuous increasing slow back pressure that will allow those mains to touch ever so softly. I never thought of it that way and that thought process has really helped me in those final moments.

Balloon in an archer almost 100% due to more airspeed than u need. My final is at 70 KTS, 65 on the numbers and then I stop looking at the ASI. Takes time, at one point think the tower guys called me the balloon king. My problem was airspeed, and it didn’t help that my CFI kept me at 75 on final and over the numbers, until I got up with another CFI who flies an archer and found out the problem. U can still be at 80 and land, u will just float forever. Just flying few feet over the runway in an excellent idea.

....somewhere between the first and second bounce while my CFI was having a meltdown and screaming, I went around.

I hope that’s a joke. If it isn’t, you need to find an instructor who can remain calm while you’re trying to kill them. :) Seriously.

Denverpilot - no it wasn't a joke and I don't think I even exaggerated. For the record, I wasn't trying to hurt anyone, I just wanted to find out just how much "hop" that old Piper still had in her!!! Actually, during my prior 2 landings attempts, apparently I was too aggressive in raising the nose and I guess on the bounce landing I over corrected - bad mistake on my part!
Seriously, I get screamed at to one degree or another just about every lesson - I guess MY dumbass student pilot mistakes are worse than most. However, I've gotten use to it. The good news is I have an excellent noise deading headset and my "go around" reaction time has become very quick. Lol Johnnnnnnnnn - immediate full power, level flight, carb heat off, etc.

@Johnc3640,
Check out this video, see how far he carries the stabilized approach down to the runway before doing anything, look how close he gets before rounding out. I like how it pauses to demonstrate when he is transitioning his aiming point.

Denverpilot - no it wasn't a joke and I don't think I even exaggerated. For the record, I wasn't trying to hurt anyone, I just wanted to find out just how much "hop" that old Piper still had in her!!! Actually, during my prior 2 landings attempts, apparently I was too aggressive in raising the nose and I guess on the bounce landing I over corrected - bad mistake on my part!
Seriously, I get screamed at to one degree or another just about every lesson - I guess MY dumbass student pilot mistakes are worse than most. However, I've gotten use to it. The good news is I have an excellent noise deading headset and my "go around" reaction time has become very quick. Lol Johnnnnnnnnn - immediate full power, level flight, carb heat off, etc.
Sounds like you should check into getting a different instructor.

Flight training isn't boot camp and there's no reason to scream at a student that is making a legit effort to learn.

@Johnc3640,
Check out this video, see how far he carries the stabilized approach down to the runway before doing anything, look how close he gets before rounding out.

That was OK, but...

1) In many planes, in a stall landing attitude the panel and/or cowling will block the view of his “Aim 2”. That can lead a pilot to land fast, so as not to be “blind” at the end.

Again, it could be disconcerting to try to land a Cirrus using AIM 2 when all you can see is this:

16831395688_3d184a73e7.jpg

2) I learned the general rule was to begin roundout/flare roughly 1 wingspan above the ground. That takes the plane from 20% to 30% above stall to just barely above stall as it enters ground effect.

Just saying what has worked for me and my students. Obviously, individual technique can vary, as long as the desired result is achieved consistently.

Last edited:
I had trouble too. Until I stopped thinking about flairing and more about a transition to slow flight. For me that gave me the right thought process and mental sight picture. I tead about it in a few places. Jason zshappert at m0a.com is one. Also reading stick and rudder by Wolfgang Lang------- was helpful - his explanations were helpful too.

See how it flys.com is in depth and again provides another perspective.

I'm having the same problems and have learned a lot reading all this advice. I'm consistently coming in with too much air speed and floating away. Last landing I flared too late and hit nose first. I have issues judging distance from the ground too. Have to keep practicing.

I have learned the hard way that the only way to learn how to land a plane is by landing a plane, no amount of book or advise actually helps in my part. I had exact same problem as OP, nailed the airspeed on final, then bounce or balloon, usually it’s th knee jerk reaction to yanking the yoke. But it eventually comes, one fine day you will suddenly stop bouncing / ballooning. I have no idea how it happened in my case, I just know it happened one day and I solo-ed the next. 215 hrs and about 400 landings later, it still happens at times, almost always when there is a commercial plane holding short for my landing

I have learned the hard way that the only way to learn how to land a plane is by landing a plane, no amount of book or advise actually helps in my part. I had exact same problem as OP, nailed the airspeed on final, then bounce or balloon, usually it’s th knee jerk reaction to yanking the yoke. But it eventually comes, one fine day you will suddenly stop bouncing / ballooning. I have no idea how it happened in my case, I just know it happened one day and I solo-ed the next. 215 hrs and about 400 landings later, it still happens at times, almost always when there is a commercial plane holding short for my landing
If I bounce a landing I just ask the tower if I was cleared for two landings...

Sounds like you should check into getting a different instructor.

Flight training isn't boot camp and there's no reason to scream at a student that is making a legit effort to learn.

I’m of the same opinion. Save the barking for the military where they’re trying to wash out people. Or whatever.

Barking does nothing but overload the student and is generally useless except perhaps after someone does something for the third or fourth time that is an absolute no-no.

I’ve been barked at roughly three times in two decades of flying. Out of those, two were definitely earned.

One was the lowest I’ve ever gotten an airplane on a VMC approach and all he said was “GET IT UP!” Interesting seeing approach light stanchions go by only a few feet below the wings. That was NOT a good approach and a bark was definitely in order.

The third I fired the instructor. We are still friends and we’ve had margaritas around a campfire at OSH and discussed that training flight and how his style doesn’t match mine and we’re both okay with that.

If the barking isn’t distracting you or making your experience poor, fine. But for many it’s useless. Once the instructor starts barking the student mentally shuts down anyway, and you might as well land and fly again a different day.

Here's my default answer on how to land properly.

Don't "round out" or "flare".

Come in on final with your sight picture locked, use a area just before where you want to touch down, it shouldn't move in your windshield, if it gets low you're too high and vise versa, --> don't be afraid to slip <--

Once you're a few feet over that point, runway assured, pull the power, look all the way down the runway to the point that moves the least, think of those paintings of a road with power lines at both ends, how they disappear into one infinity point, look at that.

Now with the power out, try to fly down the runway to that infinity point holding the plane 6" off the deck, keep holding her off, once the mains touch, keep flying the plane to that point till she's slowed to a speed of a brisk jog, don't just let go of the back force and prang that flimsey nose gear down.

Once you get low over the runway, remeber it's alerons to keep the plane in the middle of the runway, rudder to keep it pointing down the runway.

Lastly, imagine the yoke has a ratchet on it, once you pull back when you're down low you can't put the stick forward again, if it starts to sink just burp in a little power.

A good landing will have the stall horn going off just after you transition from your landing target to flying to the infinity point.

These things should NOT be a laundry list of steps, it's one fluidic thing, don't strap into the plane, strap the plane onto you.

And remember
--> don't be afraid to slip <--

I had trouble too. Until I stopped thinking about flairing and more about a transition to slow flight. For me that gave me the right thought process and mental sight picture. I tead about it in a few places. Jason zshappert at m0a.com is one. Also reading stick and rudder by Wolfgang Lang------- was helpful - his explanations were helpful too.

See how it flys.com is in depth and again provides another perspective.

https://www.av8n.com/how/htm/landing.html

Back