Landing Strip

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
So, I've been thinking about buying some plot of land for my business so I can expand it and start doing K-9 Training. Anyways, since hanger space is a premium in aviation and I don't like the idea of leaving any aircraft I own out on the tarmac, I was thinking about buying some "extra" land to lay down a landing strip and hanger.

Since this will be a private field that'll be used by an LSA aircraft (seriously I love them), I'm thinking a 50x2,500 turf strip would be enough.

Aside from buying the land, cutting the grass down and doing some work to make it useable, what else am I looking at in terms of dealing with the FAA and stuff like that?

Which LSA? Many of the nose dragger variety have knocked nose wheels off on pavement, let alone bumpy grass/dirt...

So, I've been thinking about buying some plot of land for my business so I can expand it and start doing K-9 Training. Anyways, since hanger space is a premium in aviation and I don't like the idea of leaving any aircraft I own out on the tarmac, I was thinking about buying some "extra" land to lay down a landing strip and hanger.

Since this will be a private field that'll be used by an LSA aircraft (seriously I love them), I'm thinking a 50x2,500 turf strip would be enough.

Aside from buying the land, cutting the grass down and doing some work to make it useable, what else am I looking at in terms of dealing with the FAA and stuff like that?

FAA nothing, the only issue with a private field is local.

Local community ordences and state requirements for development of a private airfield.
Also check on local areas for tall towers and any restrictions for traffic patterns and approach clear zones.

Which LSA? Many of the nose dragger variety have knocked nose wheels off on pavement, let alone bumpy grass/dirt...

I had a grass strip that was smoother than most concrete runways, I built it the same way you do a fairway on a golf course spreading, sweeping and rolling on loads of sand after the grass came in thick.

I thought this thread was about 'lady parts haircuts'. Guess not.

Chesapeake Sport Pilot takes its Tecnams over to Kentmorr 3W3 all the time for practice on grass and hasn't had a problem. 3W3 is a pretty nice strip, but you definitely know it's not paved. I know our Sky Arrows have a thinner nosewheel, but they might still land there. Not sure.

FAA nothing, the only issue with a private field is local.

Not quite NOTHING. The FAA requires you to file a 7460-1. That's it. File, they don't need to approve anything (thought they will make an advisory determination).

But as stated, the bigger issue is with the local zoning/land use folk.

This begs the question how would you go about getting an airport charted. It seems to me that if you have a nice turf patch 2500 feet long, it might be nice for someone who's just lost an engine to be able to punch "NRST" and have it show up. Though I'm not sure if you can get GPS units to show private airports when you hit NRST, now that I think of it...

Still though, it seems like being on the chart would be good.

This begs the question how would you go about getting an airport charted. It seems to me that if you have a nice turf patch 2500 feet long, it might be nice for someone who's just lost an engine to be able to punch "NRST" and have it show up. Though I'm not sure if you can get GPS units to show private airports when you hit NRST, now that I think of it...

The 496 will, but I don't think the 396 will. Don't know about panel mounted ones.

Back in 2001 I created a private 3000" grass runway on my ranch here in Wyoming...

In the order it took to pull it off

File a 7460-1 to the Denver FAA office. they did a airspace study and concluded no impact on air traffic... Wrote a short note saying they were on board with the airport... Lady's name was Marsha Hofer, i think.... Super nice and very professional.... I then took that letter to the local planning Dept and asked for a conditional use permit.... It took three readings at a publicly advertised meeting... That passed and then it was off to three more readings of the county commisioners meetings... First two went off without a hitch.... On the final reading there were 5 items on the docket that night and I was the last one.... When it came time for my blessing there were still several people left in the room and my thought was " uh oh,,, a bunch of " not in my backyard" types had showed up.. Turns out EVERY one of them got up and spoke in favor of my application.. I didn't know any of them but most were local pilots who appreciated a potential emergency landing site.... The Gavel came down and I was a airport owner.....

About a month later I get a call from the charting office in DC asking if I wanted my airport on the sectional.. Of course I said yuppers......

So, now you know the story of Haas International Airport. 2WY3.

Not quite NOTHING. The FAA requires you to file a 7460-1. That's it. File, they don't need to approve anything (thought they will make an advisory determination).

The 7460-1 isn't required. If you know you have no local issues and that your runway won't conflict with any nearby public use facilities you can do anything you wish on private land.

I've had a private strip since 1986 and the Feds haven't threatened to take my birthday away, yet.

If you want the strip charted you have to file the notice of intent. Otherwise, the FAA doesn't care where you operate your airplane from.

Mark

I dont think NC licenses private use airports, some states (like MN) do. Their licensing requirement kicks in if you use a property for more than X times per year to operate an aircraft of it.

As mentioned, local zoning and nimby neighbors is what you have to worry about. Look at the county zoning ordinance. There may be a difference between using a strip for agricultural purposes vs. others. It may specify that your property needs to be 'light industrial' or something to that effect to operate an airport. Lets say your property is zoned ag or ag-conservation, you'll need a conditional use permit or waiver etc. Ben mentioned the process for that.

MT is one of the few states that has specific legislation allowing you to use anything as an airport unless it is not allowed for some specific reason. It is the exception, not the rule.

Here are some links from another board.

http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum/showthread.php?12914-Private-Airstrip-Construction

At least in Wesley Chapel, NC (where ever that is), private use airstrips are an allowable Use (albeit conditional).
http://www.wesleychapelnc.com/Zoning_Article_5.htm

At least in Carabbus County, NC (where ever that is), it looks like it the "conditions" are more stringent:
http://www.co.cabarrus.nc.us/Pages/P...nance/CHP8.pdf

According to Guilford County, NC (where ever that is), there are additional conditions (see section 6-4.9.2):
http://www.co.guilford.nc.us/governm...vord/art6.html

Probably way less expensive to just buy a place near an airport just outside of town

Lots of trailers near KTTA. And some beautiful country property within 5 minutes of the airport. You'll get a 6500x100 runway with a full ILS too.

I'm not suggesting you live in a trailer or something.. but making the point you can probably find some nice property for a reasonable cost near an airport 20-30 minutes outside of the triangle.

I'm not suggesting you live in a trailer or something.. but making the point you can probably find some nice property for a reasonable cost near an airport 20-30 minutes outside of the triangle.
Doing that also allows to fight NIMBYs more effectively.

The 7460-1 isn't required. If you know you have no local issues and that your runway won't conflict with any nearby public use facilities you can do anything you wish on private land.

I've had a private strip since 1986 and the Feds haven't threatened to take my birthday away, yet.

If you want the strip charted you have to file the notice of intent. Otherwise, the FAA doesn't care where you operate your airplane from.

Mark

No... you have a very nice lawn, you can land on.

Probably way less expensive to just buy a place near an airport just outside of town

Lots of trailers near KTTA. And some beautiful country property within 5 minutes of the airport. You'll get a 6500x100 runway with a full ILS too.

How does that solve the hanger problem? The property would have to be airport adjacent if I want to taxi my aircraft from my home to the airport. Either that or find a way to put in a Taxiway to my home. :rofl:

Yes, thank you for that, no impediment.

Come to Missouri! Once you're outside of the St. Louis, KC, & Springfield metro areas you can petty much do whatever you want. Very few counties have any sort of planning and zoning or controls.

Of course, that's a double edged sword.

I'm amazed that Ben had to jump through so many hoops in a state as sparsely populated as WY.

Last edited:
Come to Missouri! Once you're outside of the St. Louis, KC, & Springfield metro areas you can petty much do whatever you want. Very few counties have any sort of planning and zoning or controls.

I'm amazed that Ben had to jump through so many hoops in a state as sparsely populated as WY.

Nebraska is the same way, low population.. high regulations. Basically, government looking around for things to control to justify their existance and demand more more money to expand their power base, and look for more areas to control. ;)

Several have tried to start a fly in community out in the boondocks, only to be shot down by county boards. :(

Last edited:

To put it in context you have to remember that Cheney was VP at the time and the SS can and does want to know who is building a private airstrip within a few miles of his residence... I have spoken to several other people in Wyoming who installed their own strips and none had the same hurdles I had to overcome.

Also, from the beginning I told the FAA I wanted my strip charted so it could be included in the database of all GPS's and other publications so if a fellow pilot needed a place to land in an emergency I might be able to help them out. This apparently toggled the whole planning / county review as most people just mow an area to land on and don't say anything to anyone. Like the ol saying... No good deed goes unpunished..:nonod:

Back