Landing Priority: IFR or VFR?

There is no priority given IFR traffic versus VFR traffic in terms of sequencing, but the guidance to controllers does tell them it's "first come, first served" among IFR traffic.

Actually, the guidance to controllers tells them to provide ATC service to aircraft on a "first come, first served" basis among all traffic as circumstances permit with a few exceptions; emergencies, Lifeguard, presidential travel, etc.

IOW, if a 172 is going to reach the IAF first, the controller doesn't break off the 172 to hold and allow a 757 behind the 172 to fly the approach first.

Actually, he might very well do just that. Slow behind fast just seems to work better than fast behind slow.

That pilots in the pattern feel they have priority over straight in arrivals? I think that happens often. Am I wrong? Does it happen more than that?

No...that pilots in that pattern ignore the fact that many on a IAP make none or crap radio calls (yes not required)....be alert.

You misinterpreted your study materials.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/atc/atc0201.html

2-1-4. OPERATIONAL PRIORITY

Provide air traffic control service to aircraft on a “first come, first served” basis as circumstances permit, except the following:

misinterpreted what? a phone call to TRACON by the CP seemed to cure our problem just fine

NOTE-
It is solely the pilot's prerogative to cancel an IFR flight plan. However, a pilot's retention of an IFR flight plan does not afford priority over VFR aircraft. For example, this does not preclude the requirement for the pilot of an arriving IFR aircraft to adjust his/her flight path, as necessary, to enter a traffic pattern in sequence with arriving VFR aircraft.

Last edited:
Except for this idiot, I appreciate everyone's advice! It was my first post because it was something that I was always curious about and I thought this might be a good forum to learn something from my fellow pilots. And I did! From the little bit of confusion in the thread, it sounds like other pilots learned something too. That's good. I understand now that I made a mistake and I won't do it again.

And yeah, sorry, I wasn't on the message board sooner to chat with you over the Internetz, I was probably on deployment in Iraq at the time, if that's okay with you, Holmes. . . .

Thanks for your service..:yesnod:

And that's "MR" Holmes .............to you....:D:D:rolleyes:

After the tower at Camarillo closed for the night I was doing my night currency landings. I hear "Global 111xxx 12 milrs to the east inbound landing Camarillo 26, all other aircraft report to me". My CFI who is a G5 driver replies "Cessna 41L down wind 26 Camarillo, we wont report to you as we can fly on our own".

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/atc/atc0201.html

2-1-4. OPERATIONAL PRIORITY

Provide air traffic control service to aircraft on a “first come, first served” basis as circumstances permit, except the following:

misinterpreted what? a phone call to TRACON by the CP seemed to cure our problem just fine

NOTE-
It is solely the pilot's prerogative to cancel an IFR flight plan. However, a pilot's retention of an IFR flight plan does not afford priority over VFR aircraft. For example, this does not preclude the requirement for the pilot of an arriving IFR aircraft to adjust his/her flight path, as necessary, to enter a traffic pattern in sequence with arriving VFR aircraft.

What do you see there that suggests IFR traffic has landing priority over VFR traffic?

Geico, just for the record I was not asking for a difinition of current. I was asking what a pilot getting current had to do with the OP's question.

Back