Landing on the ice at Alton Bay

N50909

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexASH Pilot
I flew my 150 up to Alton Bay this morning to try something I've always wanted to do... land on water!

Ok, being that it was frozen it's not exactly a seaplane landing, but it was a great experience. Conditions were great. The definition of VFR... severe clear, unrestricted viz, no wind, ice in good shape.

I flew over at 3,000 MSL first to get the lay of the land, snap the picture below, then entered the pattern and slid on in.

Here's a video I shot of my landing:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2220528912776394313

Here's my initial approach:

ALTON_BAY.jpg

Last edited:
Now thats way cool a seaplane base in summer and ice landing strip in winter. Did you have skiis on? Guess if not ya don't want to break to hard.:hairraise: :hairraise:

Now thats way cool a seaplane base in summer and ice landing strip in winter. Did you have skiis on? Guess if not ya don't want to break to hard.:hairraise: :hairraise:

Nope, no skis, no snow/ice mods of any kind. Just a stock 150 on wheels and a very light touch on the brakes. :)

Nice video & landing.
I pilot in Alaska I talked with yesterday about an engine, was about to leave with a group on snowmobiles to lift a Super Cub's conventional skis out of a lake that wasn't frozen as well as yours! It would be a 6 hour trip on the sleds -one way.

Thanks, Dave. Eventually I'll get a REAL seaplane landing under my belt.

Geez, I miss doing that. Nice shot of Mt. Washington in the background too.

I was in wolfeboro last weekend and its such a cool thing to see the planes landing on the ice!

Cool video.
"Nil Braking Action Advisories are in effect....":)
ApacheBob

Back