Landing on runways with a road before the threshold....

Phillips Army Airfield used to have a stop sign off the end of the runway for crossing traffic as well as a horn that I guess was supposed to sound to warn you to stop. I never heard it being used. PAAF wasn't that busy of a place and half the time there wasn't anybody in the tower so if it was manually activated, there wasn't anybody to do it. I was in the aeroclub, but I also had to drive around the airport to get to one of our facilities back there so I went by a lot.

The formula, which works for any airplane, is this:

Speed to adjust in KCAS * SQRT(Actual weight / Max Gross Weight) = Adjust speed in KCAS.

I can't do that in my head as I'm coming around the pattern . . . then make the speed-dependent adjustment from CAS to IAS.

But I can approximate my weight pretty well, fast and easy.

I can't do that in my head as I'm coming around the pattern . . .

Do it before takeoff. If you have a spreadsheet you use for weight and balance you can easily have it calculate the various speeds at the same time.

Go try Sylvania C89 in Racine. I did it a few weeks ago in a Citabria with my CFI but I won't go in my 172 without a CFI.

Go try Sylvania C89 in Racine. I did it a few weeks ago in a Citabria with my CFI but I won't go in my 172 without a CFI.

I've often wondered if you feel a burble from the trucks passing underneath you when you land to the west there.

It's also fun there in the winter. Doc was departing #32.

HR

Attachments

• Merrymeeting11 021707.jpg
    Merrymeeting11 021707.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Merrymeeting12 021707.jpg
    Merrymeeting12 021707.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Merrymeeting13 021707.jpg
    Merrymeeting13 021707.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 4
  • Merrymeeting14 021707.jpg
    Merrymeeting14 021707.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 4
Were you flying with Scott L? If so, I'm sure he told you he's looking for someone to rent his house on the north side of the runway (I think he bought a house on the south side). If not... Want to rent a house on an airport? :D

I missed this part of your post on my dinky phone.

No Matt H was with me. He's got a few planes on the south ramp.

One of these days I'm going to move back to Waunakee or the east side of Madison. For now I'm stuck in Deerfield until I decide to put my house up for sale. A certain female who uses one of your planes mentioned to me she was maybe going to look at the place though.

When teaching short field landings, we would imagine an obstacle at some point in the approach path, and then aim to clear that by 50', with full flaps and little or no power at that point. If any power was still in, smoothly come back to idle and pitch down as appropriate and continue to roundout and flare.

In this case, maybe imagine a "key position" or "window" you'll aim for above the road - maybe 50' AGL to clear any possible vehicle. Then continue as above, accepting your landing point on the runway, whatever it is, unless you got fast and would have excessive float. In that case, go around and try again.

Similarly, if you got low on final and are dragging it in with a lot of power, best thing is to go around and set up again. Chopping the power at the key position can require a drastic pitch down - it can be done, but is not for the faint of heart.

I missed this part of your post on my dinky phone.

No Matt H was with me. He's got a few planes on the south ramp.

One of these days I'm going to move back to Waunakee or the east side of Madison. For now I'm stuck in Deerfield until I decide to put my house up for sale. A certain female who uses one of your planes mentioned to me she was maybe going to look at the place though.

Ah, cool!

If my wife and I had jobs in the Madison area, I would totally buy a house on the Waunakee airport. Unfortunately, there are no airparks in the Milwaukee area, so we just bought a house that's 25 minutes from MWC, 25 from HXF, 25 from UES, and 25 from 02C. :(

There was one for sale a number of years ago that my GF(at the time) and I looked at, walked through. It was rough and very neglected and unoccupied. No hangar in back.

I still wanted it, she didn't, we never did buy a house(I'm glad, she was psycho). I didn't even have plans to actually fly, but I am aviation crazy and would have put a chair in the backyard to watch the airplanes.

Someone bought it and built a hangar behind it, opportunity missed. I keep my ears open for housing opportunities there.

Back