Landing on fitness club, no fatals

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Photo makes it look like 'inside building', rather than 'on roof'!

"Vintage six-seat, single-engine Piper PA-32R" (?) per article.
No one inside hurt.

They needed a window there. Those buildings can be real dark inside. Should save electricity since they won't need so many lights.

Last edited:
"Vintage six-seat, single-engine Piper PA-32R" (?) per article.
Another sign of how the general public looks at airplanes like cars. If a car that old would have antique plates on it, then surely the plane must be vintage as well. But the person calling it that is probably living in a 1974 house/apartment. Is THAT "vintage"?

"Landing?"

It went through the wall just below the roof. The EMTs got both out from inside the gym.

The report with old Bill & Walter on CBS 2 was something. They started out with "How can they have snuck in this airport ..." to "Can you imagine? The garage is a HANGAR!" then luckily they went tot he Chris Havermehl in the copter who showed from the air (while hovering in the airspace!) that the areas at the ends of the runway are clear and the driving roads are curved so it doesn't look like a runway.

My guess is the plane was over gross, but that would be hard to do. It was CAVU and 72 degrees.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/10/07/investigators-seek-cause-of-naperville-small-plane-crash/

The report with old Bill & Walter on CBS 2 was something. They started out with "How can they have snuck in this airport ..." t
MORONS! The airport was there first. The fitness club is new and built on what used to be farm land around the airport.
attachment.php

Stolen from the red board

Attachments

• NaperCrash.jpg
    NaperCrash.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 109
Oh. It is LL10. Somebody should mention that it's the home of the Lima Lima aerobatic team.

Havermehl did mention that there are several flying estates in the area. They all were founded when it was all clear farmland around, and the communities closed in.

Thank FSM for the TV station having a (private!) pilot on staff.

Last edited:
Ditto!

Naper Aero has been around for a long time and used to be somewhat rurally located (at least it was bordered by corn fields on the North). The development of Chicago suburbia over the last 10-15 years has encroached on the airport.

MORONS! The airport was there first. The fitness club is new and built on what used to be farm land around the airport.

Ditto!

Naper Aero has been around for a long time and used to be somewhat rurally located (at least it was bordered by corn fields on the North). The development of Chicago suburbia over the last 10-15 years has encroached on the airport.

Doesn't matter anymore. About 7-8 years ago, someone's Bengal tiger got loose in southern NJ. They kept them for 20 years, long before there were other houses in the area. The person had to apply for some sort of variance every year to keep the cats. The news articles had such gems from his new neighbors such as "He was here first, but we are here now so he and his tigers have to go". The local politicians claimed ignorance of anyone keeping tigers, although they happily took his fees for the variance, or license, or whatever the township needed. I wished I lived in that town so I could vote out the bozos.

"Reached late Wednesday in his hospital room, a man who identified himself as Lloyd McKee declined comment and asked for the media not to contact him."

This kind of caught my attention. The guy is seriously injured and is laying in a hospital room, apparently still undergoing testing and such, and "the media" thinks it is proper to call him for an interview?? They think it is reasonable to harass this guy in order to gather material to perpetuate their business????

John

The condition of a pilot and his wife who were hospitalized after their plane crashed into a Naperville fitness center is improving, Edward Hospital officials said Friday.
Hospital spokesman Keith Hartenberger said Lloyd McKee, 66, and his wife, Maureen McKee, 63, both have been upgraded from serious to fair condition, though he declined to say when they may be released.
They was headed for Pittsburgh, but the plane, a Piper PA-32R-300, failed to get enough elevation and slammed shortly after takeoff Wednesday into a raised tower on the southwest corner of the XSport Fitness, near 75th Street and Route 59.
http://triblocal.com/naperville/2010/10/08/conditon-of-pilot-and-wife-upgraded-to-fair/

"NAPERVILLE, Ill. (WBBM) – A Naperville Township couple survived the crash of their small plane into a fitness center Wednesday. Now, federal investigators are trying to determine why the plane failed to gain enough altitude to avoid"

The "rooftop landing" occurred on Wednesday, the media called him in his hospital room that same day, Wednesday.

John

Y'all are going to love this little tidbit I picked up from the "comments" section after the article.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sue on October 7, 2010 9:53 AM
I was working out there yesterday and because of their negligence I had to stop the workout short, they evacuated the building. This is rediculous. These weekend warrior pilots need more training.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John

Back