Landing on dirt?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
As many of you know from my threads on other forums, I’m planning a cross country journey, probably in May…low, slow, and leisurely across the country landing on grass strips. I’ve had incredible input on data collection for finding grass/dirt strips across the country. One thing I have a question about is landing on dirt strips. My journey will hopefully also include a route out west, where they will have dirt strips instead of grass. What are your opinions/suggestions about landing on dirt...I've never done it and wonder if there are any different techniques to use or any surprises when landing/taking off on dirt?

Thanks.

If you do grass, you can do dirt. Down here in Baja there are some delightful, sandy, smooth strips to land on. Of course, there are also the others.... but assuming you use good pilot discretion, landing on the dirt is straightforward. You should always take a good look at it though as dirt is not as stable as pavement or even grass and may have changed character since the last person landed there, even if that was just last night.

Takeoffs need a bit more forethought. Nothing, except possibly water, will erode a prop tip faster than sand or fine gravel. Most dirt strips have a patch of pavement or hard pack where you can do a run up. If not, I might avoid doing it at all, or do a cursory one during taxi back for takeoff. You want to get rolling with as little power as possible and bring the power up more gradually than you would on a paved runway. You can even preferably make your turnaround and takeoff roll a non-stop event so you don't have to suck more dirt through the prop arc. Of course, all this is weighed against your takeoff minimums, so don't aim for the throttle to meet the firewall just as you pass the far end of the runway. If it's that close, you are in a dirt strip that I wouldn't touch. Just tell us how you got out when you get back home.

And remember, with the first inch of altitude, the airplane has already forgotten that it just took off from a dirt strip. Don't clutch and try some "extraordinary measures" to account for the runway condition. Just fly it like you always fly it. You're gonna LOVE it.

YB

I have many dirt strips under my belt now, Diana. The first one is a bit freaky, because you don't know what it'll be like. The secret is to do a slow fly by (unless you can physically walk it first) to look for ruts. In NM, a lot of the dirt strips are used by the locals for drunk racing, so they can often be rutted.

Here's my secret: Runup during the taxi, you don't want to be picking up rocks. Also - if you need to do a short field takeoff, don't stop with full throttle, or you'll be picking rocks up pretty badly, try a rolling taxi/takeoff instead. I read somewhere that it is just as good, and definitely less damaging.

I disagree with the above poster - I've never seen a paved runup pad at a dirt strip, so keep that in mind.

Also - I've landed on gravel, which is ok too, but the crunch noise you get when you touch down is odd, and you will likely kick rocks up into the underside and the vert. stab.

Good luck Diana.

Oh yeah - one more thing. Unless you are familiar with the area, you usually don't know if the runway is hard packed, sandy or dirt, and you can't really tell by doing a low pass. Be prepared for soft field conditions, as sand is REALLY soft in New Mexico.

I'll ditto everything above. Grass, gravel and dirt are all good to land on. A low pass to look for ruts, wash outs and praire dog holes is a good idea. And mag checks while taxing can minimize exposure to rocks in the prop. I mostly do Nick's rolling taxi to takeoff technique also.
The main thing is just fly the plane till it is stopped. With your Citabria it's the paved runways that you need to watch for. Out west every wind is a crosswind if the airport is paved (Murphy's Law # 643, I think)

Fly Fun.

Barb

One more addition: Diana, you need to add Canyon Bar 10. (N. rim of Grand Canyoh) 3300 feet, 1000 feet paved, tough country but go while it's still open. The old guy won't live forever. Go LIGHT.

Goulding's at Monument Valley is another MUST. It's where the John Ford production company made all the John Wayne movies, in between the Buttes. 1000 foot paved, 3500 dirt. Nice lodge, for an overnight, too. Just don't leave anything in the plane overnight.

If the lodge is still there, add Terlingua Ranch to the list. Gravel strip, near Alpine, TX. Stop in Alpine and say "Hi" to Dave Taylor....

i thought the "private" strip in Alpine was like 8000 feet paved?

Thanks for the *dirt* tips everyone! Also, it's good to be able a few more recommended airports to the growing list. :) I tried to look up Alpine, but don't know which one near Alpine...would it be 46TE? How far is that from Dave Taylor?

Thanks for the *dirt* tips everyone! Also, it's good to be able a few more recommended airports to the growing list. :) I tried to look up Alpine, but don't know which one near Alpine...would it be 46TE? How far is that from Dave Taylor?

In addition to the above posts, be wary of lingering dust from previous aircraft which will often create a haze effect type of illusion, especially in the landing light beams during a night landing. The dust can linger in calm air in sufficient illusionary amounts for hours.

I disagree with the above poster - I've never seen a paved runup pad at a dirt strip, so keep that in mind.

The only one I have seen is at the Hotel Serenidad strip on Baja. It was pretty useless. I just do the rolling mag check as others have suggested.

Diana,
So far every dirt strip I have landed on around here has been harder than concrete. I did not notice much difference landing at Gastons when we were there. I was surprised how hard the runway was at Gastons, although I know that would change with rain.(what ever that is):dunno:

when y'all talk about the rolling runup during taxi, how exactly is that performed?

One more addition: Diana, you need to add Canyon Bar 10. (N. rim of Grand Canyoh) 3300 feet, 1000 feet paved, tough country but go while it's still open. The old guy won't live forever. Go LIGHT.

Goulding's at Monument Valley is another MUST. It's where the John Ford production company made all the John Wayne movies, in between the Buttes. 1000 foot paved, 3500 dirt. Nice lodge, for an overnight, too. Just don't leave anything in the plane overnight.

How do you know so much about 1000' strips Bruce? What have you owned that could pull that off without a good headwind? I think i landed in under 1000' once but the winds were at 40kts. :)

IIRC, Terlingua Ranch is 1E2. If Dave pops up here, he can verify that.

1E2 is about 60 miles south of Alpine. Alpine itself is E38.... nice people in Alpine.

when y'all talk about the rolling runup during taxi, how exactly is that performed?
Pop it up to runup RPM while taxing, quick check of the mags and carb heat (and prop if applicable), back down to taxi RPM. Ride the brakes a bit if necessary to control your speed. Same thing on skis except you can't ride the brakes :eek: I then do the rest of my checklist once I hold short of takeoff, or if I can't because of conditions (deeper snow etc.) then I do everything on the roll.

Two things that have given me trouble on dirt strips or roads: ruts, and loose holes with sand in them. Potholes you can see and hopefully avoid, but if they have soft sand in them you don't always notice. I use soft field technique each time. And bigger tires ;)

Last edited:

I never suggest this to anyone except on dirt, because the benefits outweigh the dangers, but you hold the brakes to control speed, and get to runup rpm. Then quickly check the mags, carb head and suction, then back to taxi rpm.

I never suggest this to anyone except on dirt, because the benefits outweigh the dangers, but you hold the brakes to control speed, and get to runup rpm. Then quickly check the mags, carb head and suction, then back to taxi rpm.
Personally, I'd practice it a few times on pavement before trying it "for real", though...you've got enough relatively new distractions when you get on the dirt runway without adding another new procedure.

Fly safe!

David

Pop it up to runup RPM while taxing, quick check of the mags and carb heat (and prop if applicable), back down to taxi RPM. Ride the brakes a bit if necessary to control your speed. Same thing on skis except you can't ride the brakes :eek:

Whatcha mean :eek:? More like :D :goofy: :rollercoaster:!!!!!

Forty-three days until I fly 'em again... I can't wait! :)

Back