Landing on a frozen grass strip

Artimas

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Artimas
Any thoughts about landing on a grass strip when it's cold and frozen? I've landed on grass many times, but never in the winter.

Tips appreciated.
Thanks!

Unless it was wet and frozen it's no big thing. Frozen ground is just harder. Land on ours all the time in the winter. Wet grass (if not enough to make the field soft) can be pretty slick even before it freezes.

Snow on the other hand can make it very difficult to accelerate.

Any thoughts about landing on a grass strip when it's cold and frozen? I've landed on grass many times, but never in the winter.

Tips appreciated.
Thanks!
As long as it stays frozen it's all good. OTOH there'll likely be a week or two in the spring when it starts thawing out that you'll be pretty much limited to use in the morning on the frost. Until it dries up it can get soft when the frost goes out.

the owner of the strip may not like you for doing that. they will see your tracks a long time, when your wheels run over frozen grass it kills it. until the grass starts groaning again you will see the tracks.

the owner of the strip may not like you for doing that. they will see your tracks a long time, when your wheels run over frozen grass it kills it. until the grass starts groaning again you will see the tracks.

If you've seen the guy's landings you know why the grass is groaning. :D

That never seemed to be an issue on the strip I learned to fly at.

Snow on the other hand can make it very difficult to accelerate.

Certainly depends on the snow, but I have never felt it was a problem up to 3-4 inches. Of course you had better take your wheel pants off, especially RVs!:yes:

I've had to repair mine twice this winter already, then I just left them off. :rolleyes2:

Nor at any I've regularly flown at since. May be a different grass in the NW?

To to OP. The one thing you need to be very wary of when the ground is frozen is mole, groundhog and armadillo mounds (if these critters are an issue where you live). These mounds can be as hard as a rock when the ground is frozen and large ones can take the nose wheel right out from under your bird...

...Iff'n you have a nose wheel that is! ;)

Last edited:
Only power landings I ever made on turf, the (well-cropped) turf was pretty near frozen, and it was not a problem for me (in a Cub).
It is a pretty smooth strip, but it was hard. But being grass/dirt, the surface will yield a bit more and not be as "grabby" as pavement, even when it's frozen. Ruts or holes, on the other hand, would be a lot worse when frozen. :eek:

Nor at any I've regularly flown at since. May be a different grass in the NW?

To to OP. The one thing you need to be very wary of when the ground is frozen is mole, groundhog and armadillo mounds (if these critters are an issue where you live). These mounds can be as hard as a rock when the ground is frozen and large ones can take the nose wheel right out from under your bird...

...Iff'n you have a nose wheel that is! ;)

Yeah, Moles, an' Gophers, seem to be quite active this time of year.
Th' li'l snots make a mess out of our place every winter. Then ya don't see any sign, 'till next winter.

Certainly depends on the snow, but I have never felt it was a problem up to 3-4 inches. Of course you had better take your wheel pants off, especially RVs!:yes:

I don't have wheel pants. It jams up the gear when it retracts.

I have left some groaning grass behind after some of my landings too. Just keep practicing

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I ran over my lawn when it was frozen, the tracks did not disappear until spring and the grass was tall enough to cut.

frost+tracks+002.jpg

Thanks all.
Landed on frozen grass strip yesterday with no problems.
The gophers are all still with us.

Back