landing help

I have a bit of a question on trim. I'm a new pilot (less than 2 months). My CFI's never emphasized trim on landing. Of course I am more or less trimmed coming into downwind already, and just assumed the power reduction and successive application of flaps through the pattern was enough. I see many of you mentioning trimming the aircraft. Are you advocating fiddling with the trim through base and final? I never do.... the yoke doesn't need much muscle to maintain altitude normally. Flying 172s.

I have a bit of a question on trim. I'm a new pilot (less than 2 months). My CFI's never emphasized trim on landing. Of course I am more or less trimmed coming into downwind already, and just assumed the power reduction and successive application of flaps through the pattern was enough. I see many of you mentioning trimming the aircraft. Are you advocating fiddling with the trim through base and final? I never do.... the yoke doesn't need much muscle to maintain altitude normally. Flying 172s.

Try that in a 182 and you'll come out looking like Ah-nold.

Trim is the secret to finesse even in a 152, which you can muscle into anything.

You can't feel the feedback from the yoke if you're holding constant pressure. It will tell you exactly what all the air currents you're passing through are doing. You'll be amazed at what you can feel.

Exactly what MAKG said, I never appreciate it until I upgraded but have found it to be the differentiation between a good landing and "do you break the plane"

Back