Landing fee at KASE (Aspen)

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
As part of my mission to land at every public airport in Colorado, I was thinking of flying to Eagle and then Aspen this weekend. I note that Aspen has a $15 landing fee. How would this work if I did a full stop landing, then taxied back for immediate departure? Note that a touch and go really isn't an option at KASE due to terrain and the fact that it really is a one way airport. Would they let me do this without paying? Should I drop an envelope with $15 in it on short final? Would I have to go to an FBO and pay the fee (along with an Aspen sized ramp fee?)

Tony

Worst would be they track down the tail number and bill the registered owner. Leslie and I have landed at O'Hare in a 172 and have never received a bill; presumable because we never went near an FBO. Can they get you? Possibly. Will they? Heck, it's only $15.

Last edited:
I've done T-n-Gs at DEN with no fee. I'm guessing that ASE won't have a fee for a taxi-back. I'm thinking that the fees are all on Atlantic being the opportunistic, overly motivated MBA's that they are.

They don't charge you as long as you don't shutdown. I fly into Aspen several times a year and have never been charged a fee. Just land on 15, taxi off and go to the beginning of 33 and take off (after waiting behind a couple of G-V and Citations :)

Aspen tracked me down via tail number a couple of weeks ago to pay a $25 landing fee. I'd stopped in to the FBO for about 30 minutes, ate their cookies, then left totally clueless they'd like some money. I think it was explained as a $15 security fee + $10 fee for the FBO or something. Usually I buy gas, but I was trying to stay light and they were busy at the desk so I didn't ask about fees. Oops. They were nice about it when they called.

FWIW, I landed on 33 in a 182 and probably could have done a touch and go on the way out. It was a calm wind day and we were out there flying in the mountain passes, we came up from the south in the valley where "Ashcroft" is marked in the sectional. The last hill by the town (where "ranch" is on the sectional) is pretty awkward and it was a steep approach. Landing 15 is definitely going to be easier.

You mentioned landing all the airports in Colorado; have you landed at Telluride yet? That was the most memorable airport on our trip: it's at 9000' and down in a canyon. Good fun.

Last edited:
Aspen tracked me down via tail number a couple of weeks ago to pay a $25 landing fee. I'd stopped in to the FBO for about 30 minutes, ate their cookies, then left totally clueless they'd like some money. I think it was explained as a $15 security fee + $10 fee for the FBO or something. Usually I buy gas, but I was trying to stay light and they were busy at the desk so I didn't ask about fees. Oops. They were nice about it when they called.

FWIW, I landed on 33 in a 182 and probably could have done a touch and go on the way out. It was a calm wind day and we were out there flying in the mountain passes, we came up from the south in the valley where "Ashcroft" is marked in the sectional. The last hill by the town (where "ranch" is on the sectional) is pretty awkward and it was a steep approach. Landing 15 is definitely going to be easier.

You mentioned landing all the airports in Colorado; have you landed at Telluride yet? That was the most memorable airport on our trip: it's at 9000' and down in a canyon. Good fun.

I have not hit Telluride yet, but I am lookig forward to it. I will probably make a weekend trip of it and spend the night.

One of the flights I would like to do sometime is follow the Crystal River south from Carbondale, over Schofield Pass, then south past Crested Butte, then follow the Taylor river east into Taylor park, then north to Aspen like you did. I have driven that route in my 4x4 and it is quite scenic.

I have never paid a landing fee at ASE unless I pulled onto their ramp. But the times I have just taxied to the end for a departure, no fees...

Don't forget to hit Cardiff in Glenwood Springs...(GWS) It has been lengthened and can now be used from both ends, though approaching from the South is preferable. Watch for wires!

Back