Landing at the Wright Brothers Memorial

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Not too many people get the chance to do this, from the Soaring 100 celebration last month:

I've never been in glider. What is he doing with left hand?

Spoilers I think.
-
Isn't it kind of insulting to land there in a glider? :tongue:
Not really. Some claim the Wrights invented the tow plane. Others on the board have asserted that even after acheiving powered flight, the Wrights set soaring records. They also used gliders at Kill Devil Hill to learn how to better build and fly a powered plane. I'd argue it's an act of homage.

I've never been in glider. What is he doing with left hand?

Just checked the video. He has three levers on the left side.
Top black is flap control, center blue is spoiler control, bottom black is landing gear.

On takeoff he has flaps full negative (handle forward) and holds the spoilers slightly deployed for best aileron control at slow speed. As roll control is obtained, He pushes the spoiler control forward to close and lock them, then moves the flap from negative to "0" position for takeoff and tow.

He reaches between his knees to pull the tow line release, and then moves the gear handle aft to raise the single main tire. Some time during the flight he moved the flap control to an intermediate position.

Preparing to land, he moves the gear lever forward to lock the main tire down. Plays with spoiler for glide path control. Moves the flap full aft to the landing position and then plays the spoiler for glide path control.

On some gliders with flaps it might be recommended to move the flap to full negative to "unload" the wing, get weight on wheel for braking and also helps with aileron roll control at slow speed.

Just checked the video. He has three levers on the left side.
Top black is flap control, center blue is spoiler control, bottom black is landing gear.

On takeoff he has flaps full negative (handle forward) and holds the spoilers slightly deployed for best aileron control at slow speed. As roll control is obtained, He pushes the spoiler control forward to close and lock them, then moves the flap from negative to "0" position for takeoff and tow.

He reaches between his knees to pull the tow line release, and then moves the gear handle aft to raise the single main tire. Some time during the flight he moved the flap control to an intermediate position.

Preparing to land, he moves the gear lever forward to lock the main tire down. Plays with spoiler for glide path control. Moves the flap full aft to the landing position and then plays the spoiler for glide path control.

On some gliders with flaps it might be recommended to move the flap to full negative to "unload" the wing, get weight on wheel for braking and also helps with aileron roll control at slow speed.

Thanks for great explanation.

Then why didn't they just use it back home in Ohio instead of traveling to the outer banks to glide off a hill?
:D

Airnav was down, and they weren't sure which FBOs would be open.

In essence the spoilers, are the throttle that controls the engine of gravity. Seems that way anyway. OK, I'm ready to glide. :D

In essence the spoilers, are the throttle that controls the engine of gravity. Seems that way anyway. OK, I'm ready to glide. :D

roughly, yes. the airbrakes on a glider control the approach path just like some pilots use throttle on approach to control their approach path

roughly, yes. the airbrakes on a glider control the approach path just like some pilots use throttle on approach to control their approach path

That was an awesome vid. I liked how the pilot was fine tuning the approace (glide path) with the spoilers. That's what got me to think of the throttle analogy. I guess when your engine is gravity (and updrafts) it is nice to be able to control your descent, or lack there of, so precisely.

How did the Wright Brothers get their gliders airborne? Catapult, like on The Flyer? Either that, or a Chevy with a V8. :wink2:

No sound... not on iPad.. not on PC..
Played it within the forum.. and directly to YouTube..
Get this message on the PC.
"Audio track not authorized by WMG. Audio has been disabled"

Attachments

• !cid_image001_png@01CCA04E.bmp
    93.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
No sound... not on iPad.. not on PC..
Played it within the forum.. and directly to YouTube..
Get this message on the PC.
"Audio track not authorized by WMG. Audio has been disabled"

You Tube disables audio tracks when there's a video set to some music that WMG claims to own.

You Tube disables audio tracks when there's a video set to some music that WMG claims to own.

so.. claim it and it is yours? :mad2:

I just wanted to make sure it was not my equipment.

The Wrights were flying gliders for a couple of years before they did powered flight. From the same site you just landed on.

Back