Landing at Kennewick or Pasco

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
I'm looking to visit the tri-cities and am wondering which airport is most accommodating to small GA, KPSC, S98, or KLRD. Does TSA mess with GA at KPSC?

I would recommend KRLD. It has a nice FBO, and you don't have to worry about the security theatre that comes with having airlines at the field, like at KPSC.
The last time I was at S98, the FBO had closed, and it looked quite deserted. (But that was a while ago - somebody should correct me if the place reopened.)

I landed at PSC after my first long cross country. I was tired, confused, and had gotten a nice ass-kicking through the gorge. The tower did a marvelous job of helping me get down without embarrassing myself or breaking any rules. Strongly recommended. The Bergstrom FBO has lots of tie downs, is well clear of the TSA security area and has everything you could need.

I probably would have chosen Kenniwick because I like uncontrolled fields, but PSC was closer to my sister's house and my brother-in-law had room in his hanger for my plane. I would definitely check to see if Kenniwick has services you need before going there.

Last edited:
I love Pasco. If you are into wine, the FBO has a nice selection of wines from Airfield estates. Airplane inspired wine is awesome. :p

We live at KPSC ... can see the runway from our house. The FBO (Bergstrom) is indeed awesome, but yes, Richland is much quieter and untowered. My husband is over there right now having a work day at the EAA chapter house.

Vista Field (Kennewick) is undergoing the same pressures as other small fields to be replaced by commercial development ... it's right in the commercial heart of Kennewick. Upside ... you can walk to lots of places from the airport. Downside ... FBO's have fled and potential FBO's nonexistent due to discouragement about the port/city being unable to fish or cut bait on closure or development of Vista Field.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I asked too late. I just got back from there, but chose to drive due to weather between. I stopped by S98 first and no one was there. Also, it looked like nothing but tie-downs, a pilots lounge and fuel pumps. Yes, it looked deserted... I think I saw 1 aircraft there. So, I stopped by KLRD and found an FBO who was open on Saturday afternoon, nice tie-downs, and possible hanger parking if needed for poor weather. I was told that S98 may be going away soon. So, next time, it looks like KLRD first, and then KPSC if necessary.

Thanks again for your input.

Back