Landing at closed and "abandoned" airfields?

Parking a F150 in the middle of the "strip" isn't what I'm thinking, doing something cheeky which has zero benifit aside from "preventing" aircraft from landing, well I'm not a lawyer but I could see how that could get a few ambulance chasers to start salivating.

You can sue anyone for anything. In Texas, I have two friends that have fences right through the middle of their runways. They're unmarked runways, not listed on a sectional, but the ranchers use them. We buzz the runway to make sure the gate is open before landing or call ahead of time. I guess I could sue them if I hit one, but not sure I'd get a sympathetic judge or jury here!

Parking a F150 in the middle of the "strip" isn't what I'm thinking, doing something cheeky which has zero benifit aside from "preventing" aircraft from landing, well I'm not a lawyer but I could see how that could get a few ambulance chasers to start salivating.

Meh, if it's some young kid who has a engine failure and you get the weeping mom in court, how little Jr. just got accepted to Harvard after paying for everything himself and getting a scholarship for his work helping the blind in Africa, now it's all over because bubba installed a blah blah blah. I could see it going ether way.

Just not worth the risk IMHO. If you're going to put a blockade up make it very easy to spot and not malicious.

Meh, if it's some young kid who has a engine failure and you get the weeping mom in court, how little Jr. just got accepted to Harvard after paying for everything himself and getting a scholarship for his work helping the blind in Africa, now it's all over because bubba installed a blah blah blah. I could see it going ether way.

Just not worth the risk IMHO. If you're going to put a blockade up make it very easy to spot and not malicious.

Painting them orange would probably make them easier to see.

I wonder if the closed airstrip is charted.

Painting them orange would probably make them easier to see.

I wonder if the closed airstrip is charted.

Exactly, and/or some retro reflective signs or tape.

I'm a castle doctrine guy all day, but setting up deadly traps for landing aircraft (authorized or not) is asking for it.

Some student pilot runs his plane dry, tries to put down on your strip, hits your trap and dies, cop shop comes down, NTSB, FAA, best case scenario from what I would guess, you'll just get sued into the poor house, more likely sued and do a little time.

He owns the land. If he wants to dig it up and make a gravel crushing pit there, you gonna sue him for crashing your plane into a gravel pit just because an airport used to be there?

I think not. It's a closed airport, clearly labeled that way, use at your own risk.

Pretty hard to make the argument that white concrete barricade is not visible sitting across the black dragstrip. It hasn't been a public-use airport for more than 30 years, when does the landowner get to do what he wants with it, in your opinion?

The sectional shows the location labeled as "drag strip". Pretty sure you're going to have a hard time in court calling it an airport.

Last edited:
No argument.

Re read what I wrote.

By your logic any parking lot long enough to land a plane on would have to be clear of light towers and those little curb wheel stops too. Every straight section of road as well. It's a piece of pavement owned by a private entity. It's not an airport, and you can do as you please with it.

If people were landing in your pasture and you happened to put up a barbed wire fence to keep your livestock contained, would that also be an aircraft booby trap? I think not.

I know it's Canada, but the Gimli glider was landed on runway which had been converted to a racing venue.

By your logic any parking lot long enough to land a plane on would have to be clear of light towers and those little curb wheel stops too. Every straight section of road as well. It's a piece of pavement owned by a private entity. It's not an airport, and you can do as you please with it.

If people were landing in your pasture and you happened to put up a barbed wire fence to keep your livestock contained, would that also be an aircraft booby trap? I think not.

Re read what I wrote.

While you can still make out the runway if you look carefully at Lowry back when I was learning to fly in Denver it was more recently closed. You could see this lovely long runway there but on closer inspection find utilities poles and other things in the middle of it. But I guess the AF doesn't worry about liability issues. Don't even think it was X'd out.

There's a closed airport very close to my house. It hasn't been operational in decades but it's still listed in the airport master records. I can make out where the runways were but darned if I'd consider landing there... it's pretty overgrown.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/VA16
https://www.google.com/maps/place/3....4866226,937m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Another local field now has a hospital sitting on it (you can't even tell where it was): http://www.airnav.com/airport/98VA and this one has houses on it http://www.airnav.com/airport/VG23

Last edited:
I know it's Canada, but the Gimli glider was landed on runway which had been converted to a racing venue.

Just another of the many mistakes made by the captain. There was a perfectly good parallel runway right next to where he crashed.

They were extremely lucky that nobody on the plane or the ground was seriously injured.

"Any place is an airport if you're brave enough"

- Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, he did say that, but in the same conversation Benjamin Franklin said "you cannot force a citizen to put an airport on his property if he is not desirous of one."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot set a trap for trespassers. You also may have a duty to warn foreseeable trespassers against known dangers. Someone landing on private property may very well be a trespasser, even if it's an emergency (though the trespass is likely excused in that case), but the law will not sanction your deliberately injuring him. However, you do not have to make your property safe for him. So there's a wide gulf between putting up barbed wire (that might impede an emergency landing) in a cow pasture to keep the cows in, and deliberately placing obstacles on a private strip to impede reasonably-anticipated landing traffic. Likely the more obvious the obstacles are, the safer you are, but only a jury can tell you exactly where the line it.

I have a farm strip. Sometimes people like to land on it. Although I wish they wouldn't.

I'm not going to go out there and dig a big hole in it so they can plant their face on the glareshield.

That's just un-Christian. And maybe homicidal.

When Da Mare closed Meigs in the middle of the night, the X's were dug deep into the concrete. A landing would not have gone well.

Meigs_Field_Closed_Yellow_Ribbon.jpg

9046178_600x338.jpg

Last edited:
Back