Landed on wrong runway at towered airport

I'm just relating an article I read so don't shoot me. I believe it was AOPA, but someone wrote an article about flying into a TFR b/c he didn't check prior to making a local flight. He said he spoke with someone from the FAA and everything went smooth, but he ended up getting more than a little smack on the wrist. His takeaway message was to get legal advice before talking to any FAA official. I know to take it with a grain of salt b/c AOPA is always pushing membership by touting their legal representation, but I thought I'd mention it.

I think a TFR bust is a bit more serious infraction than landing on the wrong runway. While both are easy mistakes to make, the TFR is supposedly for "national security" in most cases these days, and represents poor pre-flight planning. The wrong runway scenario has to do with either misunderstanding the landing instructions, or identifying the wrong runway, so it's more of a human factors issue.

If I busted a TFR, I'd still do like John Wayne and man up to my screw-up. I'd also expect a harsher punishment than for landing on the wrong runway.

that's it. I thought it was AOPA, but it must have been Flying.

I think a TFR bust is a bit more serious infraction than landing on the wrong runway. While both are easy mistakes to make, the TFR is supposedly for "national security" in most cases these days, and represents poor pre-flight planning. The wrong runway scenario has to do with either misunderstanding the landing instructions, or identifying the wrong runway, so it's more of a human factors issue.

If I busted a TFR, I'd still do like John Wayne and man up to my screw-up. I'd also expect a harsher punishment than for landing on the wrong runway.

I agree. I think your situation is much better than flying into a TFR, but I was just passing along his take away message.

This is the person that started this thread. The Pilot that did the runway deviation just got my call from FSDO and they want the pilot to come in for an interview and that is happening today.

Question: should he share the NASA report he filled out? In the nature of being open and honest, I would think all the information in the NASA report (speculative causes and recommendations to avoid the problem) would be what the investigator wants to hear.

This is the person that started this thread. The Pilot that did the runway deviation just got my call from FSDO and they want the pilot to come in for an interview and that is happening today.

Question: should he share the NASA report he filled out? In the nature of being open and honest, I would think all the information in the NASA report (speculative causes and recommendations to avoid the problem) would be what the investigator wants to hear.

Answer all questions truthfully, volunteer no information.

I screwed up.

There, I've said it. Y'all should be able to, too. We've all screwed up at some point or another.

Yep, when I almost landed on the wrong runway I was lucky enough to realize it before it happened and called the tower with a statement of "I'm still new at this". The controller simply chuckled and cleared me for the runway I was lined up with.

However having nearly been smashed by a King Air landing in the wrong runway I realize that this is a big deal.

THe pilot is back from meeting with the FAA. Sounds like he'll receive a administrative action and it will basically be a warning that sits on his record for two years. No corrective action or anything like that. FAA said that they couldn't just do consuling in this case. The airport has an extremely high runway incurrsion rate. My understanding is the administrative action is something that has to be reported to insurance on the annual insurance renewal application, which sucks.

They did ask to see the plane's log books, and the pilot only had his log book with him. He's supposed to come back with the plane log books, which is a little more concerning. This is for an RV-7a.

Also, he was trying to print out a pilot's rights sheet that he was supposed to give the pilot, but had trouble doing printing it and said he'll just have to get it to him later. Is this of any significance? The pilot signed nothing from the conversation.

Which is ironic because landing on the wrong runway is IMO far more likely to cause injury or death than busting some BS TFR.

THe pilot is back from meeting with the FAA. Sounds like he'll receive a administrative action and it will basically be a warning that sits on his record for two years. No corrective action or anything like that. FAA said that they couldn't just do consuling in this case. The airport has an extremely high runway incurrsion rate. My understanding is the administrative action is something that has to be reported to insurance on the annual insurance renewal application, which sucks.

They did ask to see the plane's log books, and the pilot only had his log book with him. He's supposed to come back with the plane log books, which is a little more concerning. This is for an RV-7a.

Also, he was trying to print out a pilot's rights sheet that he was supposed to give the pilot, but had trouble doing printing it and said he'll just have to get it to him later. Is this of any significance? The pilot signed nothing from the conversation.

They did a SNAAP (Streamlined No Action and Administrative Action Process) on him which generates a warning letter. He is correct it will remain on his file for 2 years and be expunged.

As far as wanting to see the airplane log book, shouldn't be a big deal, he just needs to insure all is in order before presenting it.

Which is ironic because landing on the wrong runway is IMO far more likely to cause injury or death than busting some BS TFR.

I agree fully. Unfortunately, TFRs are a big waste of everyone's time, yet generate the biggest commotion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back