Lancaster Sunday Breakfast (KLNS) - Attempt No. 2

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Well, I'm going to try again to get my wife out to Lancaster for our first breakfast run. This time, I'm checked out in the C172SP, which I"m sure she'll really like compared to the C152 I had her fly in last time with me. Our last attempt to LNS was on a Saturday, but it was foiled by Wx with heavy fog and haze, hopefully, this coming Sunday (7/27) will be better.

Any PIREP's for Sunday Brunch at Florentino's? Website say's they serve brunch starting at 9am, so I'm planning on a 9:15am arrival, followed by a stop at Airways. I have to have the plane back by Noon, as it is booked the rest of the afternoon at KLOM.

A little impromtu, but anyone is welcome to meet us there. We'll be flying a C172, N53569.

Well Rob, I'll try to make it , I'm not on call this weekend but that really dont mean much. (Disadvantage of living 4 block from the towing outfit)Hope to see you there.
Dave G

Well, for our first breakfast run, we can only say a 7.5 out of 10 rating. I had a good time, and learned some lessons, but there's room for improvement all around I think.

We dropped of the girls this morning at my Mom's around 7:30am, as the weather in the local area was looking nice and much better than the last time we tried this flight and had to cancel. Shortly after 8am, we arrived at Wings Field and got the keys for the plane. I spent a few minutes in the terminal checking the AWOS/ASOS of Lancaster, Limerick, ABE to double check our probablility of going west, or if we would try going east today. West to Lancaster sounded alright, so I called up Flight Service for a Standard Breifing. There was a cold front at the time located in Western Pa, with the low pressure trough pretty much formed over central and western PA with the frontal boundary on the edge of Ohio. Visibility was 6 miles + with some clouds at 8000 at Wings, and 6 miles and haze at LNS, with conditions expected to improve. Forcast valid between 1300Z (9am) and 1600Z (12 noon) expected 8000 Scattered at Reading, winds 180 @5, and unrestricted visibility.

We preflighted, and prepared to depart in N53569. Becky liked the look of the Cessna 172 and the roominess of it. We preflighted, completed the runup, and departed runway 24 heading to the west with the VOR 1 set for LNS, VOR 2 set for PTW, and the GPS set for Direct to LNS. This was the first time I really was able to setup and arm the GPS with my route, as I did some reading since my last flight. The GPS was nice, showing a heading to track and the distance remaining. I know there was a way to change it to read the actual groundspeed, but I couldn't get it easily, so I stayed with what I had. The KLN 94 GPS also had a large moving map display screen located right above it, and I could change the zoom scale to show the hole route, or down really close. I kept it at 20 nm most of the time. We had a pretty good trip on the way out at 2800. I called LNS tower and recieved a straight in for RY 26. There was only a few other planes in the area. We made a SWEET landing on 26, and pulled off on Hotel. It was a long taxi over to the Restaurant, but Becky was listening and having a good time. We parked and secured the airplane, and then headed off inside.

Breakfast was nice, and I had French Toast while Becky had Cream Chipped Beef. We watched a few planes come and go, but it wasn't looking like "improving weather" out there to me. Breakfast wasn't the best,.. I'd rate my meal at 7/10, while Becky was really disappointed and rated a 3/10. Her's was really peppery, and the toast was really hard, but the coffee was really good she say's. :vomit:

Taxi down to Airways for a few minutes in the shop. I didn't find anything, but we did pickup our daughter's a neat T-shirt. (I'll try to post pics later of them) So,.. shopping all done, time back out on the ramp. It was definitely hazy, and looked dark to the West of the airport. I called up KLOM's weather, and they reported 10 miles with scattered at 6000. I started the engine,... turn on Avionics, and listened to ATIS. Atis Foxtrot reported 4 miles visibility and haze,... not good. I setup the VOR for PTW, and also the GPS for LOM. Ground set us up for RY 31 departure, right pattern for departure.

Climbout went as expected, and there was a plane on RY 8 ILS approach. Tower gave him directions to maintain runway heading as he was going missed. Tower asked me to head off my heading to 080, parallel to the runway, as I was still climbing out at 2000. Since I was above, Tower let me continue back on coarse. the Piper passed below me to the left,.. just as I hit 2500,.. and leveled off. The Haze was bad,.. and clouds were low. I asked tower for me to decend to 2100,.. and once we confirmed traffic, we were able to. This helped a lot, but it was still -4 miles,... and there were some light bumps. I was expecting this to be somewhat local, but it just seemed to continue on. I tuned the weather at Wings again, still saying nice and clear with good vis there, so it must change soon. Then, I saw Morgantown and the highway. There seemed to be some clearing ahead, but before that, a band of dark grey clouds lingered above us. After a few bumps while under them,.. it seemed clear as day, with visibilty greatly improved to at leat 6+ or 8. A releif off my shoulders, cause I didn't like the skud running situation I was in. Wings still reporting 10+, clouds at 3000 scattered,... which was close to what I was now seeing as well. I climbed back up to 2500 to get some extra space between me and the ground and soon We flew over Perkiomen and turned south to Wings, and entered the pattern on the downwind leg behind a Diamond. This landing was another greaser, and at the stall horn. I think the extra weight of the 172 really helps my landings, as they have been very nice. This flight was an eye-opener for me, that I need to respect the weather and the haze, and my personal minimums for a flight. :rolleyes:

We went into the terminal after checking back in, and chatted with a few guys and I was very surprised to see the weather we flew ahead of. This was 11:45 now, and the radar showed large red cells developing in the Reading/Lancaster/Chester areas. A departure 30 minutes later would have put us right in the middle of the mess. :hairraise: The CFI's looked at the TAF reports and the ADDS weather radar, and there was no report of this activity developing so early. I'm glad we flew when we did, but I've been upset with myself since for getting in that situation on the way back. On the way out, we were good, but that changed so fast while we were there at Lancaster.

Attachments

• jul27.JPG
    jul27.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 23
  • LNSbreakfast72708sm.jpg
    LNSbreakfast72708sm.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Sounds like a good experience Rob. Wx was kind of bad all day. We drove up to Pike County today and the mountain that the Lehigh Tunnel goes through was totally obscured by clouds then while up in Greeley PA we got several TS through out the day.

You got a good lesson. Wx is all to often not what is forcast. Sometimes Haze can be just as bad as IMC and when you are trapped below a layer and there is haze you can't climb above it. I also recall being at Wings on a few occasions where I looked up and saw blue but there was horrible haze and TS as close as PTW.

Also sorry breakfast was a dud. I'd encourage you to give it another shot. Food there is usually pretty good.

Nice write-up Rob. Wish i could have made it but as i told you on the phone that didn't happen maybe next time. Glad you made it home safe ,and yes you did learn some lessons ( Flying = learning all the time). FLY SAFE .
Dave G.

Nice write up Rob!

It does seem that Florentino's has dropped a notch or two for Sunday breakfast, haven't the faintest idea why. Having the pilot shop still makes it a worhtwhile destination.

Was a bit scuzzy in the AM and your timing to beat the storms back couldn't have been better. Started raining at Quakertown about 12:30 - 1PM. Som pretty impressive T-storms!

Gary

Good write up Rob! It's great that Becky enjoy's the flight time.

I called to cancel my IR lesson around noon that was scheduled from 1-4. Wilmington forcast called for TSRA and Hail starting around 1 and ending late in the afternoon. We had some real boomers here at the house. While watching the ballgame the warning came across the bottom of the tv, calling for severe storms. I'm glad I was on the ground.

There was a cold front at the time located in Western Pa, with the low pressure trough pretty much formed over central and western PA with the frontal boundary on the edge of Ohio. Visibility was 6 miles + with some clouds at 8000 at Wings, and 6 miles and haze at LNS, with conditions expected to improve. Forcast valid between 1300Z (9am) and 1600Z (12 noon) expected 8000 Scattered at Reading, winds 180 @5, and unrestricted visibility.

Sounds like a good flight and a good learning experience, Rob.

Since I used to fly out of LNS, here's a local weather secret I learned the hard way --- When the winds are anywhere out of 090 to 180 -- beware.

In the summer, those light winds bring moisture and cause uplift along Blue Mountain (the ridge that parallels I-78).

The front to the west contributed to this phenomenon by acting as a block.

Where does all that moist, warm, air from the south end up?

Right -- up, meaning convective activity.

Even on the western side of the mountains (Pittsburgh Area), Winds anywhere between 060 and 180 winds mean only bad things.

thanks for the comments. I was a little tense on the way back, and becky knew it, but still was calm and kept my focus on the scan of the instruments and keeping everything centered and level. Now I know why pilots are more and more obsessed with the weather and trying to learn so much about it.

With very little experience with the Haze (since I trained in winter and spring) this was definitely a learning moment.

thanks for the comments. I was a little tense on the way back, and becky knew it, but still was calm and kept my focus on the scan of the instruments and keeping everything centered and level. Now I know why pilots are more and more obsessed with the weather and trying to learn so much about it.

With very little experience with the Haze (since I trained in winter and spring) this was definitely a learning moment.

And the primary lesson should be....

Go Get the Instrument Rating.

;)

As soon as the $$ is available, I'm doing it! (hopefully starting in a year or so at the latest, unless the bonus and tax returns are good to me this year)

Fully agree, but remember that even with that rating, he wouldn't have been wise to delay his departure!:no: (Yeah, I know you know!:yes:)

What? Picking your way through a line of CBs??

Yeah, that's fun....

:no::no::no::no::no:

I think I mentioned this somewhere in another post, but the IR has been most useful getting out early -- above a low layer or limited vis (fog).

Though on yesterday's flight the CU exceeded the O2 level (12,500) so I lumped along through mid afternoon cumulus from KTEB to KFWQ.

Fun, fun, fun.

I watched the Aviation Weather DVD from sporty's this week, and learned quite a bit about Frontal Weather and Low pressure systems. Seems like today's weather in the east is similar to last weekend again. Frontal boundry near Pittsburg/Ohio border, with an outbreak of thunderstorms formed along the middle of PA, earlier than last week, but a similar warm moist air blowing from the south-southeast.

Over the past week, I've learned a lot from this discussion and the other threads posted on the subject. Thanks for all the comments and tips,...

Safe flying,..
Rob

Attachments

• CCX_0.bmp
    323.3 KB · Views: 1
  • hpc_sfc_analysis.gif
    hpc_sfc_analysis.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 2
I watched the Aviation Weather DVD from sporty's this week, and learned quite a bit about Frontal Weather and Low pressure systems. Seems like today's weather in the east is similar to last weekend again. Frontal boundry near Pittsburg/Ohio border, with an outbreak of thunderstorms formed along the middle of PA, earlier than last week, but a similar warm moist air blowing from the south-southeast.

Over the past week, I've learned a lot from this discussion and the other threads posted on the subject. Thanks for all the comments and tips,...

Safe flying,..
Rob

Rob,

Those DVDs can be quite educational! I like Richard Collins Air Facts downloads -- cheap, easy to get, and available when I'm bored in a meeting...

:rolleyes:

Back