Lancaster airshow Aug. 22-23 2009

Arbiter419

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CAucker
Is anyone going?

I'm going to try and convince my dad/flight instructor to fly down with me. It's a hop skip and a jump from SEG, but I've never been down there.

I've never been to an airshow, so I'm hoping this is my first.

Any past experiences with this airshow?

Also, what are the rules regarding in flying in as opposed to driving? Is there a specific time we'd have to be at the field to land? Is this even allowed?

EDIT: I just looked on the FAA's site regarding this airshow, and it is indeed indicated as a fly-in event. However, they don't give any information regarding times.

Last edited:
According to the schedule on the link you sent, a TFR begins at 12:00 noon and ends at 5:00 PM local time. During this period the field shows that it'll be closed so you much arrive and be on the ground by 12 noon.

Also, a call to the FSS should more details on the airspace and closure times if it changes.

According to the schedule on the link you sent, a TFR begins at 12:00 noon and ends at 5:00 PM local time. During this period the field shows that it'll be closed so you much arrive and be on the ground by 12 noon.

Also, a call to the FSS should more details on the airspace and closure times if it changes.

Ah, okay. I missed that in my frantic scanning.

Getting pretty excited already. :D

A good option might be to fly into Donegal Springs or Smoketown and drive over (Enterprise will pick you up!) if you want to be more flexible.

We might do that...

I'm going to try to make it.

Well, my dad agreed so the only thing holding us back is getting the plane reserved for the 22nd.

Hopefully everything turns out okay, because I really don't want to drive down to Lancaster when I could fly.

Yup well, the plane is already taken for the entire day of the 22nd. Just my luck.

Does anyone local have an extra seat that's going and is willing to pick me up from CXY or SEG or something? I'll gladly pay for my seat. I'm 135 lbs if that means anything for your W&B.

Last edited:
I'm leaving in a few minutes to go today.

I didn't get to make it down today, but I did log my first .6 in the aircraft I'll be flying from now on, a 160 HP 172 at Penn Valley. A little bit different than the 150 I'm used to, but nothing too drastic. Just have to get used to landing with a little power in.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to go today.

How'd you like it? Anything overly spectacular happen?

Last edited:
It was a good show and free! The Collins foundation had a B-17 and B-24 there and there was a P51B which are very rare.

However, one of the static display aircraft was a Grumman.......Tiger, actually in pretty ratty shape. Guess they wanted to show a "typical" GA aircraft. :rolleyes2:

Back