Lancair or....??

jfrye01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jacob Frye
Here's one of those "which airplane is better?" threads, almost certain to cause some friendly (or not so much) disagreement...;) Anyway, there will come a day when I will wish to trade in the Cessna for something with some speed...I love my cross country flying! Anyway, I've been eyeing the Lancair Legacy...230kts on 10gph, seems unbeatable to me. However, that $100K+ price tag is somewhat of a turn off for me. I'm opening a can of worms here, but what is the "cheapest", most economical, fast airplane? Obviously, being a former ultralight aviator, experimental aircraft don't scare me;)

Lancair 360 rates up there, a couple of the Glasair models come in under $75k. If you just need one person, the Midget Mustang goes pretty well, the Mustang II does alright for a two seater. There's also the Harmon Rocket version of the RV-4, but they are typically more expensive.

If you're looking to break the 200 kt barrier, I don't think you can beat a Glasair III. That is if you don't need four seats.

Thanks for the replies!! I really only need one or two seats, as 95% of the flying I do is solo...if I needed to take someone else, I could always rent a 172 or something...I know of a Midget Mustang for sale, those look like sweet little airplanes! Glasair is appealing to me as well...

Back