Lancair 235/ glasair I cabin fit

hindsight2020

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hindsight2020
Did a search, didn't found much other than you'll die instantly flying these things. Figured we all have an expiration date so decided to ask the question anyways. BLUF: How's the fit of these things for a 5'9 170# dude and the occasional female on the right seat (smaller than me, this time around.. :rofl:) ?

Trying to narrow my list for my eventual jump into the experimental 2 seater market and out the tentacles of certified aviation. The "mission" is currently flown on a pa28-161 and is as always has been: 90% is 400-430nm trip one way, solo. IFR cape'd a requisite. 10% is 2 on board with bags for a weekend destination, range irrelevant (passenger wants his/her potty break, %itch %itch %itch lol). 50K is probably the cap for acquisition budget. (Does not account for avionics upgrade, but the initial purchase must be IFR caped)

Never flown the Lancairs. The 235 and Glasair I's would probably be the closest to my acquisition budget. Anybody care to comment on the fit of these things? The tightest I've flown in is the C-150 I used to own. By comparison, I've flown in an RV-9 once and did some instruction in an early europa xs . From I what recall both were adequate in terms of seating position and shoulder clearance. I could tolerate C-150 cabin fits IF the thing gets me 430nm away in less than 3 hours. If it's smaller than that then no way. The alternative is 4.5 hours of handflying a warrior in the shmag behind precessing gyros from Wilbur's century for some perspective, but I digress.

Lastly, much of the info available online is for heavily modified Lancairs. What's a real world TAS one can expect out of a stock Lanc 235 with the standard O-235 4 banger? Anything slower than 150KTAS is not really worth going through the sell/buy hassle out of my -161, going by my back-of-the-napkin XC planning math. Any comments on the Glasair Is as far as fit and TAS? Would be willing to eat mx/insurance cost for the retract glasair if the speed is there.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm still trying to see if I can find someone with access to these exp two seaters and try and sit in one of them. Thanks!

<---- 155 kts TAS cruise @ 5 gph, IFR, $25k after I put in the Garmin 480. My airplane is a pretty typical 1980s vintage VariEze, decent build quality and reasonable finish but not super tricked out with speed upgrades. In particular, I'm sure I could get another 10 knots with a cruise-pitched prop, though it would burn a little more gas.

I am 6'1", 175lb and am comfortable in the front seat even though my particular airplane was built by a tiny person. My 5'6" fiancee fits just fine in the back seat. My >6ft friends get uncomfortable in the back after a couple hours.

Mine's not for sale!

Last edited:
<---- 155 kts TAS cruise @ 5 gph, IFR, $25k after I put in the Garmin 480. My airplane is a pretty typical 1980s vintage VariEze, decent build quality and reasonable finish but not super tricked out with speed upgrades. In particular, I'm sure I could get another 10 knots with a cruise-pitched prop, though it would burn a little more gas.

I am 6'1", 175lb and am comfortable in the front seat even though my particular airplane was built by a tiny person. My 5'6" fiancee fits just fine in the back seat. My >6ft friends get uncomfortable in the back after a couple hours.

Mine's not for sale!

Real sweet cruise/gas mileage performance, no doubt. I've stood next to a long EZ sitting on the nose down at Homestead once...that looked like a TIGHT fit...yeah the canards just don't have any real baggage space. I need a baggage compartment, dedicated volume for two FAA carry-on roller cases. I'm surprised a 6 foot man makes it to the RCP of a VariEZe. I'll have to take your ownership word for it. I remember reading a thread on here where one of our lady posters was writing up her flight in a long EZ; suffice to say the write up did not make me very impressed about the practicality and long term comfort of the varieze/longez seating/boarding arrangement. I already deal with a retarded contortion act on the one-door piper and would like out of that ridiculous arrangement pronto. The C150 was easier to get in and out of to be frank.

I was interested for a while in those COZY IIIs but they're not very common. I have zero idea what they go for either, doubt they fall under my budget. I prefer the side by side seating which is why Im trying to find information about the lancairs and glasairs.

Thanks! Keep 'em comin'

Lancair's are tight in the shoulder room. Also the semi-reclining seats are not for everyone. Also I don't think I would want to fly any IFR in one without a really good autopilot. Why not a RV6 or 7? My 7 will cruise 168kts on 8.5gph and 180kts on 10gph. Plenty of useful load and the same cockpit as the 9 you flew. There are some bargains out there on them right now. Don

I'm 6'2", 170 lbs. Flew in a Lancair 320 and was actually quite comfortable. The owner of the plane was about my height, maybe a bit taller, and maybe 10 lbs heavier. The notion that tall people can't fit in these planes is false, a lot of it depends on how it was built. Remember, each one is different. So it's important to find one that was owned by a taller person.

I would buy a Lancair 320/360 over the 235. On those you can expect 190-200 KTAS on 10 gph. The 320 I flew in would do 140 KTAS @ 4 gph. Pretty incredible.

I had a Glasair I, o-320, 160hp, fixed gear and prop. I got 150ktas on 7.8 gph. 2x200 lb people, 100 lbs of gear and full tanks (5 hours). IFR was touchy because I didn't really have an AP but I flew it ifr a lot, even 200' OVC a few times. It was tight with two people in there, but most of my flying was solo. Never flew a retract one. I sat in a Lancair 320 and thought it was smaller but they all have to do with how they were built.

Back