Lake Michigan Water Temp Site

It looks like places on the edge of "cloudy" regions are reported as between 32 and 34 degrees. With the rest of the lake in the 40 - 70 range, I think that that data is suspect. I didn't see any statement about data validity, other than the notice that one of the satellites had been giving faulty readings. Anyone have experience using these?

You can use this site also to see what the buoy info is.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/rmd.shtml
Wow, those things aren't small. The one in southern Lake Michigan is 3 meters in diameter and 5 meters tall!

And, since it's showing a water temp in the upper 60's, I totally do not believe the coastwatch site reports of temperatures in the lower thirties less than 25 miles away.

Wow, those things aren't small. The one in southern Lake Michigan is 3 meters in diameter and 5 meters tall!

And, since it's showing a water temp in the upper 60's, I totally do not believe the coastwatch site reports of temperatures in the lower thirties less than 25 miles away.

Those reports are on the edges of cloud cover. I would expect that the data the satellite is getting is more related to the temp at the top of the clouds. for those areas.

Those reports are on the edges of cloud cover. I would expect that the data the satellite is getting is more related to the temp at the top of the clouds. for those areas.
Yeah, I noted that it was near clouds that the temperatures were skewed. You'd think that they would make a prominent note of that on the chart!

It looks like places on the edge of "cloudy" regions are reported as between 32 and 34 degrees. With the rest of the lake in the 40 - 70 range, I think that that data is suspect. I didn't see any statement about data validity, other than the notice that one of the satellites had been giving faulty readings. Anyone have experience using these?

32-34 seems out of whack, but I do know from personal experience that all it takes is a little wind to mix the water and drop the surface temp by 20 degrees F on either Superior or Lake Michigan. I can remember swimming in Superior one day in August with the water a fairly comfortable (for Superior) 70 degrees and jumping in the next morning off the boat into 52 degree water at the same location (didn't stay in very long).

Back