LaGuardia (LGA)

Oldman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Oldman
Have an upcoming Angel Flight mission into LaGuardia. PA32-301T. Never flew into anything like this before. Insights appreciated.

- oldman

Have an upcoming Angel Flight mission into LaGuardia. PA32-301T. Never flew into anything like this before. Insights appreciated.

- oldman

Well, you can probably buy them a one-way ticket anywhere they want to go instead of paying your landing fee there.

- oldman

Do they hit you guys with landing fees? Outside of that it's just another tower controlled airport.

I think Bob ( your partner) had done it you might ask him. I've flown into KBOS before so if your concerned about what to do in the air don't be in those heavy duty class B enviornments ATC tells you EXACTLY where they want you and when they want you there. Taxiing is a bit more complex than the flying IMHO. But they will give you progressives.

Speak with Kris in the office before you go and she will let you know what fees there will be. 98% of the time they are waived for Angle Flight East flights. Have fun with it.

The NY/NJPA probably waives fees for no one. Figure $75 landing fee - but there is an FBO there at least.

Is there some reason why they can't get to TEB/HPN/CDW/FRG? If they are fit to fly they are fit to ride an extra 20 minutes to an easier airport.

There is a ramp fee and a landing fee. Ramp fee may be waived if you buy a minimumamount of fuel. The fuel will be very expensive, perhaps $8/gallon. So if you are required to buy 40 gallons then that amounts to a ramp fee of about $75-$100

Landing fee, if you land between 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM there is a base fee based on weight, for you it will be $25 and then a $100 fee for landing during the day time hours for a total of $125.
I THINK there may be an area deginated for passenger off loading only like maybe 10 - 15 minutes that the landing fee is waved, not sure about the ramp fee.

Best to call ahead if it is a problem. For example at KHSV, a rather small airport, if I buy no fuel it would cost $300 to drop a passenger in the Cheyenne.

I tried to do this last year, but landing and parking was going to add up to something like $250 a day. I went to FRG.

BWI is so nice--I love class B.

If you come in or go out at the wrong time be ready for delays. La Garbage is a pain in a jet let alone a recip. You will for sure be in everyone's way. So just plan accordingly and have fun if you really want to go there. I used to go there when I worked for the airline and that place sucked big time. I would rather go anywhere than there and I was based out of jfk.

La Guardia is one of my least favorite airports. For one thing the ramp where you park the airplane is some distance from the FBO building so you need to be transported back and forth in a van. There can also be some very long delays taking off, depending on the time of day. I would rather go to Teterboro any day.

I flew into LGA a few years ago in a 172. If I remember correctly you need a reservation to get a landing slot. I also seem to recall it costs about $100 at the time. The most memorable part of the experience was that as soon as we taxied into the parking area, two guys in suits with guns stood in front of the spinner. A few seconds later, Bill Clinton got out of a limo parked nearby.

Bob Miller, of www.overtheairwaves.com fame, knows about everything there is to know about flying into LGA, JFK (much cheaper), EWR and TEB in a piston single and I'm sure he would be willing to help.

Thanks for the comments, they help. Will advise how it all turns out.

- oldman

yeah, jut another towered airport. With the only differences that you might get vectored around to give heavier traffic priority if you are slow and there's probably more than one ground frequency. Also, some class b controller might just send you away if you are not able to keep up.

Did the flight happen yet?

I recall a detailed post about a flight into an NYC airport by, I think, "Cuda" on the Red Board. Flying a Lancair or Glasair, maybe?

If you come in or go out at the wrong time be ready for delays. La Garbage is a pain in a jet let alone a recip. You will for sure be in everyone's way. So just plan accordingly and have fun if you really want to go there. I used to go there when I worked for the airline and that place sucked big time. I would rather go anywhere than there and I was based out of jfk.

My experience is a bit dated, circa 1968-1990. But, I flew as a TWA pilot into there a whole lot. The place was a major suck.

The only time I got in a tad of trouble was when I made a less-than-nice PA announcement about "Le Garbage Pit."

So we flew there on Thursday. I'd listened to the various online ATC feeds during the week (the weather was not going to change much) and saw that during VFR conditions ATC was assigning the Expressway Visual Runway 31 approach. Basically you fly to two very prominent fuel tanks in Queens, turn right, turn left over Flushing Meadow Park and follow the park to 31. As it turned out ATC gave us a long final to Runway 4 (not a bad crosswind on Thursday).

Things to note:

- You need both a landing and a departure reservation ("slots," in Port Authority parlance). They do this to keep the GA traffic to a minimum, I suspect. Current phone number is 540-422-4246, 24/7. They give you a "slot code" (hey, you have a dirty mind!) which you put in the "remarks" section of your flight plan.

- In case you missed it, don't forget that you need BOTH an arrival and departure slot! The slots are for hour periods, e.g. our arrival slot was for 1800Z (yes, they do it in Zulu), which covered the period 2 pm local to 3 pm local. Departure slot was 1900Z.

- I called the tower the day before. Current phone number 347-846-1717. Very pleasant person who told me the likely approach procedures (so much for the time spent listening to the ATC feed).

- Because it was an Angel Flight mission all landing fees (and any similar fees) were waived. AFE set this up in advance. I imagine that these fees are also designed to discourage GA traffic, but because they were waived, I have no idea how high they are.

- After landing, ground directed us to the "five towers" and suggested we get in touch with the FBO (SheltAir Aviation Services, current phone 718-779-4040, unicom 129.7). Hey, we knew where the FBO was, so we started down that way. Ground came back on and told us to do a 180 and head for the five towers. WTF? Befuddled, we asked for progressive taxi and were told to look off our left wing for a brown van. Sure enough, there it was. "Follow him." Fine. The moral is that you park at "transient parking," which is an empty lot out in the middle of nowhere except for - you got it - five radio towers (and one of Trump's airliners, see the blue tail in the background).

LaGuardiaphoto2email.jpg

The van took us to the FBO terminal, which was very plush and, at the time, very empty. Filed the return flight plane, van took us back to the aeroplane, we got our clearance, switched to ground and taxied out. The tower held us on one side of Runway 4 while three airliners took off from the other side (hey, we were here first!). Radar vectors took us out over the Bronx and Westchester County, then over the Hudson and south, back home.

It was a most excellent flight.

- oldman

Oh now you've gone and forced me to post this again...

Oh, I do like the Teterboro video...but I think I like this one better. Better song anyway and boy can I relate...

I turned down an interview with NetJets back in 2003'ish. Why? Because I'm stupid...that's why.

: (

I heard on the radio they just place a huge jet order. I bet they're hiring.

They laid off a bunch of people to get their balance sheet to where they could even place that order, and the order is stretched over something like a decade, maybe two... as I recall.

495 furloughed. That aircraft order is to replace airframes. It'll end up being a net loss of aircraft and the rumor is more furloughs are coming. The only thing stoping more furloughs is the simple fact that if the furlough any more it'll trigger a bump and flush of the seniority list.

Right now they have tons of guys sitting in the right seat collecting captain pay because someone junior to them is sitting in the left seat of another fleet type. The company finds it cheaper to just pay protect that guy in the right seat than to pay for all the training to remove the junior guy from the left seat and train him in the right seat...thus bumping someone else and causing more training.

They have gone as far as they can without the system flush. A system flush would cost millions and millions of dollars. So much so the company runs way over staff and pays FOs captain pay to avoid it.

One of the few Warren Buffett purchases that has gone completely sour on him. But ironically he knew it and once said he'd never buy an aviation business. Until he bought one.

One of the few Warren Buffett purchases that has gone completely sour on him. But ironically he knew it and once said he'd never buy an aviation business. Until he bought one.

You think that knowing where all those high net worth people are traveling to and from for meetings might be very valuable information? Who ends up with all that valuable info, thats right uncle warren.

You think that knowing where all those high net worth people are traveling to and from for meetings might be very valuable information? Who ends up with all that valuable info, thats right uncle warren.

No... He would never lower his ethics to that level. Surely. Not Uncle Warren! He's a good little Nebraska/Midwest Protestant and Family Man! I'm soooo shocked you'd think such evil thoughts. ;) ;) ;)

You don't suppose banks ever use information from their trading divisions to predict and even bet against what the average investor is doing, either, do you? ;) ;) ;) ;)

(Yeah, yeah... illegal. And yet we all know it's happening, every single day.)

It truly is the Information Age. Anyone who's got information is using it for their own gain, laws or no laws, ethics or no ethics.

Was true long long ago too. The powerful just had to meet in person is all that really changed.

Disinformation and misinformation is a powerful counter to all the listeners these days. Helps you find out where your leaks are.

Back