LaGuardia Class Bravo Services....

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
LaGuardia ATIS:

BlahBlahBlahBlah. LaGuardia Class Bravo Services available on 126.05. BlahBlahBlah....

What Class Bravo Services are available? I've never heard voice on 126.05 but maybe I haven't been listening at the right time.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
LaGuardia ATIS:

BlahBlahBlahBlah. LaGuardia Class Bravo Services available on 126.05. BlahBlahBlah....

What Class Bravo Services are available? I've never heard voice on 126.05 but maybe I haven't been listening at the right time.

-Skip
I can't say I know the exact answer off the top of my head, but it sounds similar to KBOS and their "Skyways" which controls the class B airspace inside the tower airspace, but are VFR and not landing at Boston.

They usually provide class B clearances/services for helicopters and transiting VFR aircraft that will/are enter[ing] the LGA class B airspace (inner-most ring) and keeps the main tower frequency less congested. ...but the controller working the class B airspace does coordinate with the local controller(s) to ensure safe operations and they also have radar.

Jason

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
I can't say I know the exact answer off the top of my head, but it sounds similar to KBOS and their "Skyways" which controls the class B airspace inside the tower airspace, but are VFR and not landing at Boston.

They usually provide class B clearances/services for helicopters and transiting VFR aircraft that will/are enter[ing] the LGA class B airspace (inner-most ring) and keeps the main tower frequency less congested. ...but the controller working the class B airspace does coordinate with the local controller(s) to ensure safe operations and they also have radar.

Jason

Possible... but when I have transited LGA's inner ring I have never picked up the ATIS, I just stay with the assigned frequencies. I don't think that has ever been 126.05. So ????

-Skip

for LGA airnav lists:

CLASS B (SOUTH): 126.05(2000 OR BLO PRIOR TO 6 NM)

Looks like a tower frequency for vfr flights...

Steve said:
for LGA airnav lists:

CLASS B (SOUTH): 126.05(2000 OR BLO PRIOR TO 6 NM)

Looks like a tower frequency for vfr flights...

OK, and thanks. But it does seem a bit redundant. Why is it on the ATIS? You can't get into the Bravo without talking to the tower (for takeoff) or approach first, and they always tell you which frequency they want you to switch to.

OK, here I am expecting logic from the FAA. :redface: Sorry, I'll be quiet now....

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
You can't get into the Bravo without talking to the tower (for takeoff) or approach first, and they always tell you which frequency they want you to switch to.
Not necessarily... You can (most of the time) call up LGA say from the east and request to transit their airspace which is generally SFC up to 7,000 (minor exceptions coming from the east) if you plan on remaining under the class B after you leave their airspace (say going northbound up the Hudson river if you stay below 1,100 feet.

IIRC, I've heard many pilots traveling southbound down the Hudson under the class B, turning east paralleling the shore and being able to call the tower without even having to call approach.

I may have some if not all of it wrong, so feel free to take the info FWIW.

Any NY flyers that can provide more insight on this issue?

Jason

Back