Labor Day - Lake Tahoe

mbeatty67

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mbeatty67
Hey there,

Is anyone planning to fly to Lake Tahoe this weekend? I have been watching the smoke reports and it seems to be getting better...gradually. Right now they are reporting 5sm - clear w/haze and some smoke. Generally it has stayed VFR for the last 24 hours.

I was looking to fly my Cherokee there this weekend for a hickory scented getaway and was just curious if anyone had flown there very recently or is planning to fly there on Sat, just to get a pirep?

Thanks

Mike

Hey there,

Is anyone planning to fly to Lake Tahoe this weekend? I have been watching the smoke reports and it seems to be getting better...gradually. Right now they are reporting 5sm - clear w/haze and some smoke. Generally it has stayed VFR for the last 24 hours.

I was looking to fly my Cherokee there this weekend for a hickory scented getaway and was just curious if anyone had flown there very recently or is planning to fly there on Sat, just to get a pirep?

Thanks

Mike

It's hit and miss. The smoke fills the basin, the wind blows it out, and smoke fills it back.

I'd stay out of there until the fire is out. It's really miserable up there.

The soaring operators at Minden are sending out reports that they are closed. Visibility below 3nm in smoke, no towing. The gliders need 5sm vis above 10k MSL, and if you can't get above 10k, why fly? Except for student training.

Watch the DA, especially in a Cherokee. For instance, the density altitude right now for KTRK is 8400 feet. The chart on my Cherokee and also a 180 ends at 7,000 feet, which means the temp can't be more than about 55 degrees, which by the current forecast, seems to be between midnight and 8 am.

I was up there last weekend and camped by the airport. It was pretty ugly most of the time and the airport was IFR much of the time. Even with 5 mile vis, it was so brown that everything looked the same. There wasn't much flying and they even cancelled the airshow last Saturday. Even when it was reporting 10 and clear, it was really hazy.

I am in Reno and it is super smokey here. The past few days in Spanish Springs (8mi north of Reno) visibility has been 2 miles or less. I have not seen many GA aircraft in weeks here.

Back